Cars
comments

10 Best Resale Value Cars

Money checked out Kelley Blue Book and picked out a nice top ten list of cars that retained the most value after five years. The bulk of the cars on the list are not domestics, in fact only Chevy makes an appearance with the extremely popular Corvette. The other cars on the list are owned by either Japanese or European car companies!

Toyota and VW control 60% of the list with the Scions and the Corolla representing Toyota and three VW models rounding out the top ten. As expected, a majority of the Japanese cars are on the list because of their reliability; most of the other cars are there because of high demand for other reasons. For example, KBB supposed that despite VW’s history of questionable reliability, three of their vehicles made the list.

One thing to note, KBB did identify some contradictory information. When talking about the Jetta, they said “Despite Volkswagen’s spotty reputation for reliability – the brand fairs poorly in J.D. Powers’ annual rankings of long-term dependability – its cars hold their value well.” Then in talking about the Rabbit, they said that “Volkswagen’s certified pre-owned program, recently rated the best by Intellichoice.com, may help boost resale values in the long term.”

Top Ten Cars (Retained Value)

1. Chevrolet Corvette – 50% retained
  2. Honda Civic Sedan – 52%, reliability
  3. Infiniti G37 – 52%
  4. Mini Cooper – 52%
  5. Scion tC – 52%
  6. Scion xB – 52%
  7. Toyota Corolla – 52%
  8. Volkswagen Eos – 52%
  9. Volkswagen Jetta – 52%
  10. Volkswagen Rabbit – 51%

Source: Money

7 Responses to “10 Best Resale Value Cars”

1. Mr. Nickle says:

My understanding is the following vehicles actually appreciate in value over time:
    - Vintage Vespa and Lambretta motor scooters (and extremely fuel efficient, as well)
    - Some vintage, restored cars from the 40s-50s. You may not be able to recoup the costs if you restore them yourself, but if you buy a vehicle someone else restored, it may appreciate to greater than the value you paid for it.
    - Rolls Royces (though I don’t think I’d want one of those)

2. MoneyNing says:

The G37 hasn’t even been out for 5 years yet (I think this year is the first year). How can they make it to the top 10 list especially when Infiniti as a whole does not rank well???

3. MoneyNing says:

Sorry… I just feel upset my car isn’t on :) (I drive a Acura RSX)

4. Amanda says:

Good news for me and my 2001 Honda Civic! It’s true, though… they really hold up amazingly well.

5. Tim says:

I think I like edmunds’ evaluation better since they take its true market value equation into account.

6. Matthew Paulson says:

That information is all well and good if you’re going to buy a new car, it’d be more interesting to see how well a car that you purchase after 3 or 4 years of age keeps its ownership, that way those of us who like used cars can get a better deal.

7. Bob says:

I have always been a Volkswagen enthusiast, it was my first vehicle in high school and have owned several including the microbus, vanagons, campers and the beetle.

I am still amazed at the resale value of the Westphalia pop top camper. Many of these are selling for near what they sold for new 20 years ago. The VW Westphalia pop top camper Syncro (4 wheel drive) sometimes sell for double of what they sold for new with very few add-ons just well maintained and clean. These are coveted vehicles of the Westcoasters and surfing community. Luckily there are still some good people who still work on these and keep them running good. If you can find a clean one with a good engine gear box and body you can certainly recover 85 – 95 percent of your original investment.