Personal Finance 

What is a 1099-MISC?

Email  Print Print  

1099 miscRight about now, you will have received most of your tax forms. The Form W-2 if you are employed, a 1099-INT from all the banks that paid you all those pennies in interest, and maybe even a Form 1099-K if you sold a lot of things on eBay.

Another common form that you may get is the Form 1099-MISC. A 1099-MISC is a tax form sent by someone who has paid you money, usually over $600 in a year, in return for work you did for them. It’s often issued to independent contractors by employers, instead of a W-2, but can be used to report rent, royalties, and any other income that wouldn’t otherwise get reported.

Getting a Form 1099-MISC

If you received a Form 1099-MISC, all you have to do is report income on your Schedule C of the Form 1040. Schedule C is for Profit or Loss From Business (Sole Proprietorship) and anytime you get paid as an individual, you have to declare that as income on that section of the 1040.

Sending a Form 1099-MISC

What if you’re a business and you paid an independent contractor more than $600 last year? Simple – it’s time for you to file a 1099-MISC! You will need to fill out the 1099-MISC form and make sure to send out the contractor’s copy by January 31st. The copy due to the IRS must be mailed before February 28th. You get until March 31st if you e-file, but to be safe I would send it in at the end of February.

If you were going to receive a 1099-MISC, you should’ve received one by now. They, like W-2s, are usually mailed by January 31st, later if that happens to fall on a weekend or holiday.

{ 6 comments, please add your thoughts now! }

Related Posts

RSS Subscribe Like this article? Get all the latest articles sent to your email for free every day. Enter your email address and click "Subscribe." Your email will only be used for this daily subscription and you can unsubscribe anytime.

6 Responses to “What is a 1099-MISC?”

  1. Einstein says:

    Don’t think you’ll get away without reporting it! The 1099-MISC follows your profile to the IRS.

  2. Ray says:

    I received a 1099 misc to reimburse me for a plane ticket for a job interview. Why do I have to pay tax on income that was offset by an expense?

    • Jim says:

      That’s considered income, even if it was to reimburse you, and you’ll owe taxes on it. That said, you might be able to include that expense as a deduction for job hunting.

  3. govenar says:

    also might need to file Schedule SE for Self-Employment tax

    • govenar says:

      And your city might ask you to pay for a business license (I think filing a Schedule C might trigger it).

  4. JS says:

    What should I do if I received a 1099-MISC for a company I’ve never worked for, or been involved with in any way? I’ve sent a certified dispute letter to the company who issued the 1099-MISC, but I haven’t heard back from them (no confirmation that they received or signed for the letter). The 1099-MISC was for $22,000, a significant amount of money, and a sum I certainly am not going to declare since I never received it. Not sure what to do now.

Please Leave a Reply
Bargaineering Comment Policy

Previous Article: «
Next Article: »
Advertising Disclosure: Bargaineering may be compensated in exchange for featured placement of certain sponsored products and services, or your clicking on links posted on this website.
About | Contact Me | Privacy Policy/Your California Privacy Rights | Terms of Use | Press
Copyright © 2016 by All rights reserved.