Reviews
comments

14 Reasons Why I Should Buy A Kindle

Kindle 2One of the Quicken/Turbo Tax Giveaway winners, Victoria, and I have been emailing back and forth on a variety of topics the last week or so and she put together a very comprehensive case as to why I should buy (my wife) a Kindle. She spent so much time on the email that I thought it was worth sharing in case you were considering a Kindle for yourself or a loved one. (and this is just the first part of the email!)

14 Reasons You Should Buy A Kindle

1. Access to the top newspapers of the world. I read my major three when I can: USA Today, New York Times, LA Times, etc. If I have time, I can download single issues without leaving my bed on Sunday morning or if I’m waiting in a doctor’s office or at the DMV. I enjoy reading what Britain and others around the world think about our global issues.I do not have to subscribe to a monthly subscription. For those that do have the time to read them all each day, you can try any newspaper for a free 14 day trial (or any blog).
  2. When reading any book on the Kindle, you only have to highlight a word and click to get a definition from a built in dictionary. No more hunting for a dictionary while you’re reading or worse yet, not getting up to get one at all.
  3. Since serious readers are constantly improving their horizons, you can download a sample of any book you are interested in for free to check content, style etc before you buy it.
  4. Short of a used bookstore, you cannot beat the prices. Amazon has indeed learned marketing from iTunes.
  5. Since most of us have books coming out of our ears and in every room in the house and have long ago run out of bookshelves to hold them all, it is wonderful to be able to read all you want and not add to the physical library until you are sure that the selection is worth adding to your physical library.
  6. Any book I buy will remain in my “download library” in amazon cyberspace. I can delete it off my kindle and next year if I want to read it again, I can download it again. Kindles “within families” can access the “family library”. If you want to read something your wife bought, you can download it to your kindle. You can sync your Kindle with your computer to download books you have need of from your “library”.
  7. When researching, I can make notes and save those notes on anything I am reading on the Kindle. I can keep a running book list of books I want to “save for later”.
  8. I can access the “whispernet” anywhere a cell phone works which is pretty nearly anywhere, anytime 24/7. If I wake up in the middle of the night and want to read anything at all from magazines to newspapers to the latest bestseller, I can and to date, it’s free.
  9. Many, many books (especially the classics) are free. If I want to have a “Masterpiece Sunday” on a rainy day, I can download “Pride and Prejudice” for free.
  10. I just downloaded the Kindle application on my iPod Touch and now have downloaded a few books form my “to read on the iPod in case I don’t have my Kindle with me or my purse is too small to carry it.
  11. Amazon, like Apple, encourages those who can, to investigate publishing their own e-books(apps) and provides the information to do it.
  12. Anything I want on my Kindle, from a favorite recipe to an article I am working on, can be sent to my Kindle from Amazon for 10 cents a page.
  13. When reading multiple books at a time, the Kindle remembers what page I was one in each no matter how long it’s been since I last “opened” that book.
  14. The ability to change font size at a click when the type is really too small or too big for the page.

There you have it, fourteen reasons why the Kindle rocks. Do you have a Kindle or have you thought about it?

25 Responses to “14 Reasons Why I Should Buy A Kindle”

1. Matt Fyffe says:

I’ve been debating this for a while. The problem I have is that I love to read outside, and I’m worried how an electronic device would do in the sun. Do you know if it would be readable in the light or would it be like a laptop?

2. MissMartha says:

I worry about how it would do at the beach or at the pool. Both of those are prime reading locations! I would think it would be destroyed by sand or water.

3. Beth says:

Alas, I have no intention of buying one :( Here’s why:

- The Kindle isn’t available through Amazon’s Canadian store. That means paying in US dollars, shipping, going through customs, etc. It’s not cheap to begin with, but it would be even more expensive for those of us whose dollar fluctuates compared to US currency.

- Many of the publications I do read are Canadian, and therefore not offered for the Kindle.

- I love borrowing books from friends, and lending out the books I love. I can’t see how Kindle can facilitate this kind of social interaction.

- I can get the classics for free — as well as a whole host of other books — at my local libraries.

- I read most of my news online for free. (Ah, love the RSS reader!) I also read a lot of blogs — as far as I know, they’re not available through Kindle anyway.

- Many of the books I buy new (rather than used) are heavy on the images. How can an electronic device compensate for the pretty, glossy pictures or artwork?

- I read and carry books in situations where an electronic device might get damaged. (Like tossing it in my bag when I travel).

Don’t get me wrong, there’s a lot I love about the Kindle — like being able to make notes and highlight items, and how people can publish their own books. (Not to mention the whole tree-saving factor). I’m mainly playing devil’s advocate here.

If Amazon ever gets around to marketing the Kindle to Canadians, I might consider it. (It should take lessons from Apple, who does a great job of marketing to us and who keeps prices fair based on the market).

4. jsh says:

I haven’t had a chance to experiment with it yet, but there’s a Kindle App for the iPhone and iPod Touch.

5. The simple “Why Not” is the fact that it cost $359. If that is a barrier for you then don’t buy it.
    If you are unsure if it’s worth it or not, do your research. Be absolutely sure you’ll actually use it.

By the way, $0.10 a page is a total BS ripoff. Use the USB connection and it’s free.

6. Eric says:

I’m not convinced but still excited for the technology.

7. Max says:

I’m Italian, and I am really surprised to read an article like this one in a website dedicated to bargaining.
    I’m a fan of technology and I work with and for it, anyway I think what conducted especially you Americans to this economical issues is this big attitude to spending.
    Do you really think you need a kindle ?
    Come on …

8. Kevin says:

It’s very readable in the sun. No large glare problems. I actually read mine yesterday on the trolley ride into work and on the way home.

Sand and/or water could be an issue though… Check the MobileRead forums and see if anyone there has a good answer on that.

9. The Kindle is not something that would be of interest to me. I just can’t picture using it enough to justify the expense. Besides, the local library is free and any books that I do purchase, I usually am quick to share them with others(friends and family).

Jeff Bezos did an interview with John Stewart of The Daily Show a month ago and he was pitching the Kindle 2 and commenting on the differences from the original Kindle.

The interview was entertaining and educational but Jeff Bezos does laugh a little bit too much..almost on the border of annoying.

Here is a link to the Interview:

10. Carrie says:

I don’t have a Kindle but I do have the Kindle for iPhone application on my iPhone.

11. My mom has a Kindle 2, and although I think it’s an awesome little device, I know it’s not for me. The majority of my reading comes from personal finance books that publishers send to me to review on my site. (I’m not bragging about free books… it can actually be a bit of a pain. Not all of the books I’m sent are interesting, or even relevant!) The rest that I read tend to be borrowed from a friend or family member who said “Read this!” Of course, usually that family member is my mom so… I suppose she’ll be lending me her Kindle now?

It all depends on how you usually consume books. I’m a library/borrowed/free book gal myself, so the Kindle isn’t for me. But I can definitely see it for people who travel a lot – way more convenient than a suitcase full of books!

12. Dana says:

I think the distribution networks of Kindle can provide very interesting opportunities for print media publications going forward. And I can’t wait to see what they come out in December and whether they’ll be available out of the US.

13. juliaipsa says:

Manhattan rush hour trains are packed to the brim and reading through my old school printed paper in the morning usually involves slapping one or two unknowing strangers in the face with either my bag, my scarf, or even the paper itself. THERE’S JUST NO ROOM! The KINDLE is like a one page book and the lady next to me this morning bothered no one as she turned through the pages of her latest book pick. I was jealous. I also had to wait three more stops before the train emptied out a bit before I had enough arm room to turn to the next section of my paper. If you can afford one, why not?!

14. Jon says:

Wow. Not backlit? That would have sold me. V3 hopefully.

15. Jon says:

They should make a Nintendo DS/Kindle hybrid.

16. Mickey says:

Ooh, I want a kindle so bad! But it’s just the whole mindset that once you spend the money, it’s gone. :( Silly, I know. Sigh. What’s a pocket pincher to do… :)

17. Anonymous says:

dont get it why spend more money to buy a kindle i dowloaded a kindle app for my android and my laptop same thing? or am i crazy

• Ceyda says:

The kindle screen is like paper so you can read for hours without straining your eyes. If you download the app for your android, it WILL strain your eyes because your reading with a backlight

18. daniel says:

whats the big deal i downloaded a kindle app for my android and laptop same thing didnt have to buy a new gizmo

19. Sara says:

Why would you pay 10 cents to convert anything to kindle format? You can do that on your computer for free. Get with this century.