2010 Federal Income Tax Brackets (IRS Tax Rates)

Email  Print Print  

Every year about this time, when the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) releases inflation data, specifically the CPI-U, experts from a variety of magazines and newspapers try to predict what the tax brackets will be the following year. This is possible because many figures in the tax laws are based on inflation, such as the standard deduction, contribution limits for Traditional and Roth IRAs, and the size and placing of the tax brackets themselves.

This year, the Tax Foundation is first out the gate with their prediction that everything will essentially remain the same as inflation was a mere 0.19%. When they performed this exercise in predicting the 2009 federal income tax brackets, they were 100% correct. I’m fairly confident that these numbers will be accurate when the IRS officially announces the tax brackets for 2010.

2010 IRS Tax Brackets

The below 2010 tax tables are the projected federal income tax brackets for 2010:

Tax Bracket Single Married Filing Jointly
10% Bracket $0 – $8,375 $0 – $16,750
15% Bracket $8,375 – $34,000 $16,750 – $68,000
25% Bracket $34,000 – $82,400 $68,000 – $137,300
28% Bracket $82,400 – $171,850 $137,300 – $209,250
33% Bracket $171,850 – $373,650 $209,250 – $373,650
35% Bracket $373,650+ $373,650+

Here are some other important non-tax bracket-related updates (until these are made official by the IRS, these are merely predictions by the experts). As expected, no (or very small) changes:

  • Standard deduction remains the same: The standard deduction for singles will remain at $5,700. For married filing jointly, the number will also remain at $11,400. If you are a Head of Household, it’s expected to increase by $50 to $8,400.
  • Personal exemption remains the same: The personal exemption will remain at $3,650.
  • Annual gift tax exclusion unchanged: For 2010, the current 2009 gift tax exclusion of $13,000 is expected to remain the same. The gift tax is how much you can give to someone else without any tax considerations.

For comparison, here are the 2009 Federal Income Tax Brackets and the 2008 Federal Income Tax Brackets.

{ 412 comments, please add your thoughts now! }

Related Posts

RSS Subscribe Like this article? Get all the latest articles sent to your email for free every day. Enter your email address and click "Subscribe." Your email will only be used for this daily subscription and you can unsubscribe anytime.

412 Responses to “2010 Federal Income Tax Brackets (IRS Tax Rates)”

  1. Kathy says:

    I am currently recieving spousal support altoether bewen my salary and support i am currently receiving 27,000.00 a year in suport. What percent should i be putting away for tax day

  2. Kathy says:

    I am currently receiving spousal support Iam receiving 27,000.00 a year in suport. What percent should i be putting away for tax day.

  3. sleater says:

    These are tax brackets and are only “estimates.” Use the 2010 actual tax tables after applying your deductions based on last year’s tax return. Sheesh.

  4. John says:

    I’m retired (44,400 yr). I withdrew 32000 from a 457k. Federal tax was 20% (6,406). The 32000 will count as ordinary income (44,400 + 32000) and I will be taxes at 76,400 for 2010… Right? OR… Will the 20% ( $76,400 – $6406 = $69994) count toward my 2010 taxes. And I’m taxes at $69994.

    • xcrapid says:

      The 457b has no early withdraw penalty, so the 20% tax you paid would be subtracted from your tax liability, not your gross income. Example, you’d be taxed at $76,400, so multiply by your tax rate to find your tax liability. From your tax liability you would then deduct the taxes already paid on your 457b distribution.

  5. Catherine says:

    I am separated from my husband, 60 years old, I was laid off work this year, cashed out my 401K of $108,000 to pay bills off. Since this was a hardship and I’m 60 years old, can you tell me the taxes I will have to pay? What would be better…filling single or married?

    • xcrapid says:

      Well you will be taxed on the $108k that you took from your 401k assuming it was a standard 401k account. As for the filing single or married, that would depend on what the other spouse makes and what kind of deductions and exemptions you have.

  6. Jorge Granda says:

    If you are a single person with no ductions, live in the state of Illinois, and make less than $11,000 a year. would you be federal and state tax exempt?

    • xcrapid says:

      Are you filing single or as a dependent on another’s return? If you are filing single, you will be able to claim a $5700 standard deduction and a $3650 personal exemption at the federal level. You’d probably get a refund if you have the proper withholding set up at work.

      As for the state level, I can’t comment on that but I am assuming that it would be similar to the federal level.

  7. OneGuyThreeGirls says:

    When I file taxes I see the question asking about number of dependents living at home with me. And this is where my question is, what do I do?

    They, my wife and my two girls live in Oklahoma, I pay for the Rent, Car, power, food etc.. Also the girls go to school out there. I claim them (I sure hope so) and can I claim any additional benefit from this situation?

  8. bo says:

    I am offered early retirment, my current yearly rate is $67,000 and am receiving half in return for leaving early. What tax rate should I consider to be taxed at?

  9. janca says:

    If I make 70,000,single and no deductions, How much would I need to put in a 401k, so I wouldnt have to pay so many taxes at the end of the year. Im also utilizing $2500 in student loan repayment(using the interest)as a write off as well. Im looking for a way to counter the amount of tax I pay each year since I have no deductions. Or should I go buy a house for the write off? How much house would I have to buy. Im 47,recently divorced, broke and starting over and need advice. Thank you !!

    • Gus says:

      I would reconsider focusing on tax deductions and more on just spending less money. Basically, with your income, every $100 that you can reduce you taxable income by will save you $25 at tax time. But for someone who is broke and starting over, I think you’d be better off keeping the $100 in your pocket, and paying $25 in tax. Not paying a bank mortgage interest just to get a quarter of that money back. You have to spend a lot of money, just to save a little at tax time.

  10. Terri says:

    I’m considered 68% disabled from a serious accident that I was fortunate to survive. My question, my pension – Northern Ca. Glazer – is it possible to have a portion of my pension to be non taxable due to my disability? How or where can I go to get assitance? I’m 3 years from retirement and not able to find work. Any suggestions?

    THank you for answer.

  11. Rob says:

    Hello everyone

    I’m married and filling jointly. I’m sponsoring my wife sisters masters. Paying all her college fee. Can I get the tax benefit under gift tax exception?

    Thank you

    • Mark says:

      As long as you make the payments directly to the college, there is an unlimited exclusion from gift tax. I.E. if you pay $50k/year directly to the institution, you don’t pay taxes on any of the $50k.

  12. Larry says:

    I retire at 66 on 7/2012. Can I put the full $6000 in my ROTH for that year? Thanks. Larry

  13. Sue says:

    In 2010, I had to live on personal savings as I had no income from any source. As a single filer, would I still be eligible to claim a $5700 standard deduction and a $3650 personal exemption at the federal level?

  14. leticia says:

    i am a single mother, head of household and am going to break about $20,000 this year how much should i expect back? i made $16,000 last year and recieved about $5,000. im just curious to know whether i should expect more or less

  15. Donna says:

    Is your tax bracket based on total earnings, or just taxable income (Some line on your 1040)? My pension is exempt from Federal tax, so is it still included in my income for tax bracket purposes?

  16. Cody says:

    I am new to Texas. If I were to receive a $45,000 a year salary, monthly payroll, how much would I receive each month after taxes? I am trying to follow the information but I am getting different things from each person. I really appreciate any feedback necessary.

  17. Brian says:

    I am in the 25% tax bracket but I just figured it out and pay just under 21% in taxes throughout 1 year. Does this mean that I’ll hae to pay the government during tax season instead of getting a refund?

    • Brian says:

      Also, I make 35,000/year. How does that work? I should be getting taxed and even 25% or the first $8375 at 10%, then the next $25,625 at 15% and the remainding $1,000 at 25%? Anything anyone can tell me about both of my questions will be appreciated. Thank you and G-d Bless.

  18. Jon Eric says:

    My taxable income for 2009 was $82,000.If I understand what I have read ;
    first $8375 x 10%=$837
    second 8375 to 34,000x 10%=3843
    third 34,000 to 82,000x 25%=12,000
    would make my tax $12,000

    Or would the whole $82,000 be taxed by 25% which
    would make my tax $16,680?

  19. Jon Eric says:

    I screwed up the numbers in my message above.It should read my tax would be $16,680 using the different rates or $20,500 if I times $82,000 by 25%.
    Thanks Jim from Jon Eric

  20. JMar says:

    I am working as a contractor in Iraq. I started in September of last year. I made 63.5k for the remainder of the year. I have made 106k this year. We filed for an extention until I get the 330 required days for the exemption. As I understand it it is 92,400k exempt and you pay the remainder at whatever rate it would be. I.E, say I made 200k the first 92,400 would be exempt but the remainder would be taxed at 200k. I do not really understand how the proration for last year and this year works. Can anyone help me understand this tax situation?

    • Mike says:

      I am too in Iraq, the exemption for this year is 91.500 anything above that you pay taxes on. In my case I will make 120.00, I have maxed out my 401k so i will take 16.500 off of the taxable income leaving taxes on 11.955, my personal exemption 1s 3650.00 and ill deduct that leaving me with 8305.00 in taxable income now depending on what other deductions I can get that amount can be lower. If i leave it like that i will pay 830.00 BUT i have had over 22k taken out so I believe i will be getting back around 21k.

  21. Theresa says:

    Receiving alimony. If x has already paid tax on the money given to me, why do I need to claim again when I file? Seems to me like taxing twice. Please explain. No children. Agreement that we made between ourselves.

    • Jimmyacorn says:

      Because you are a completely different person with an income “paid” to you by your ‘x’. He has paid tax on his income so you need to pay tax on yours.

      • Mark says:

        Actually, Jimmyacorn is not correct. Your ex gets an adjustment to his income in the amount of his alimony paid, reducing the amount of his income that is taxed. Therefore, it truely is “income” to the alimony recipient. HOWEVER, if this agreement was just made between the both of you, it’s not alimony and he’s just an idiot. For him to get the income adjustment (and your being required to claim it as income), alimony must be in cash (or an equivalent) and it has to be legally required under a written divorce decree. Also, you cannot be living together.

  22. jill says:

    I am an independent contractor making 96,500. I am paying taxes quarterly. My CPA has me paying roughly 10,000 a quarter for both federal and state. Based on what I have read above, it looks like I am paying way too much. If I file as head of household can anyone tell me what I should be paying quarterly to avoid owing anything at the end of the year?

  23. Maxima says:

    I’m a blind 64 year old housewife, do I need to file my income tax return jointly with my husband? Reason being is for the 11 years I’ve been blind I’m still filing jointly with my husband on the income tax return. Can I just be claimed as a dependent only on the income tax return?

  24. Jimmyacorn says:

    I’m still wondering how in the world it got so that our personal tax liability, if you make any money at all, is 25% and more. It’s a disgrace.

  25. Didi says:

    If my husband is unemployed should I file independently, or should I file him as an exemption? Would I owe money to the Irs by doing this. I probably will earn about 30k this year.

Please Leave a Reply
Bargaineering Comment Policy

Previous Article: «
Next Article: »
Advertising Disclosure: Bargaineering may be compensated in exchange for featured placement of certain sponsored products and services, or your clicking on links posted on this website.
About | Contact Me | Privacy Policy/Your California Privacy Rights | Terms of Use | Press
Copyright © 2016 by All rights reserved.