Every year, McDonald’s run their extreme popular McDonald’s Monopoly game . Every year, we take a crack at the run down to give you some information to help you beat the competition.
The game itself won’t start until September 20th but the 2011 rules are available , which means we can take a look at what’s new, what’s changed, and see if there’s anything we can do with it.
Just like last year, there’s a six day pre-promotion period where you get a sweepstakes entry for registering on the site. Then, on October 3rd, they pull a name out of a hat and that person wins a cool ten grand ($10,000). Not a bad prize for doing something you’d be doing anyway – register for their site.
The site also has a list of prizes, which very closely matches the instant win prizes from last year. We can probably assume this list is for all the instant win prizes available in the 2011 game (what we don’t know is how many of each will be awarded):
- My Coke Rewards – 30 point bundles
- Redbox movie rental
- 20 Snapfish 4″x6″ digital prints, 11″x14″ poster, or 5″x7″ photo album
- EA Sports Video game – a promotion code you can online for a free game
- EA Sports $10 to spend online
- EA Sports Ultimate Game Room – $2,000 gift card, 2 video game rockers, 2 autographed pieces of memorabilia, and 5 EA Sports games
- EA Sports Fan Trip – trip for two to a championship or championship series game
- EA Sports Lifetime of Games – eight EA Sports games a year for 50 years
- Kinect for Xbox 360 – a 4GB Xbox 360, games, and a Kinect Sensor
- SpaWish $20 or $200 gift certificate
- $10 or $50 gift cards for gasoline
- Trip to London – 4-day/3-night trip for winner and three guests to London between July 26th – August 12, 2012 for the London Olympics, tickets to two London 2012 Olympic Games events.
- $5, $1,000, $5,000 Walmart Gift Cards
- Beaches Resorts – 4-day/3-night vacation to Turks and Caicos or Jamaica for 2 adults, 2 children 15yrs or younger.
- McDonald’s All-American High School Basketball games – 3-day/2-night trip for winner and three guests to the 2012 McDonald’s All American Games in Chicago on March 27th, 2012.
- MY 12 Nissan Z® Coupe: A 2012 Touring Model with automatic transmission.
- SL MY 12 Nissan LEAF™: A 2012 Model with charger plus standard home installation.
- $50, $500, $10,000 and $25,000 cash
How does this compare to last year? The lower prizes are roughly the same. You can assume, despite it not being listed, that McDonald’s food will be included. There are far more EA Sports related prizes, including higher end ones for trips and “lifetime of games.” Last year, the only EA Sports prize was a game.
At the high end, there are fewer straight dollar prizes (last year there were $10,000 and $25,000 cash prizes – they have returned for this year). There are way more trips, like London for the 2012 Olympics, McDonald’s All American Basketball Game, and the like. Finally, the cars this year are not as sexy as the Shelby GT500 available last year (the Z Coupe is nice, but it’s not a Shelby GT500) but there are more of them available. There are four Nissan Z Coupe’s available (the Official Rules don’t actually list the Nissan LEAF, so it may be a typo in the first page).
The Rare Pieces
According to the rules, here are the rare pieces of each set. As is customary, the rare piece is the one that is listed last when put in order alphabetically (Boardwalk is the exception):
- Mediterranean Avenue – 1 in approx. 61,811
- Vermont Avenue – 1 in approx. 206,036
- Virginia Avenue – 1 in approx. 2,472,425
- Tennessee Avenue – 1 in approx. 2,060,354
- Kentucky Avenue – 1 in approx. 77,263,275
- Short Line Railroad – 1 in approx. 77,263,275
- Ventnor Avenue – 1 in approx. 103,017,700
- Pennsylvania Avenue – 1 in approx. 309,053,100
- Boardwalk – 1 in approx. 618,106,200
In case you’re wondering, the odds of winning the $10,000 in Powerball  is 1 in 723,144.64. You get better odds to win a $38,210 car… so if you’re a gambler, you’re better off going after Boardwalk than Powerball. 🙂
Once we get closer to the actual game launch, I’ll put out our regularly scheduled McDonald Monopoly post with more details.
(Photo: sundazed )