Taxes
comments

Official 2011 US Income Tax Brackets (IRS Tax Rates)

Tax BracketsWith every new year comes a little tweaking of income taxes and this year is no different. Three weeks ago, we didn’t what was going to happen to our tax rates since Congress had yet to act on the expiring Bush era tax cuts. With the clock winding down, they opted to extend them by two years and so the only change you’ll see is an adjustment for inflation.

These tax brackets are for the tax year 2011, here are the current tax brackets.

This year we’ll be presenting them a little differently. Some readers are here just to find out their marginal tax rate and others want to find out how much in taxes they’ll be paying. So this year you’ll see a listing of all the marginal tax rates first, followed by a breakdown of taxes due (without accounting for deductions and other adjustments).

2011 IRS Tax Brackets

Here are the 2011 tax tables, which make it easy to find which marginal tax bracket you are in:

Tax Bracket Single Married Filing Jointly Head of Household
10% Bracket $0 – $8,500 $0 – $17,000 $0 – $12,150
15% Bracket $8,500 – $34,500 $17,000 – $69,000 $12,150 – $46,250
25% Bracket $34,500 – $83,600 $69,000 – $139,350 $46,250 – $119,400
28% Bracket $83,600 – $174,400 $139,350 – $212,300 $119,400 – $193,350
33% Bracket $174,400 – $379,150 $212,300 – $379,150 $193,350 – $379,150
35% Bracket $379,150+ $379,150+ $379,150+

Tax Preparation Packages

Remember that these are brackets after you take into account deductions, credits, and the thousand other “little things” the IRS has cleverly hidden in their enormous codified tax law. Fortunately, there are plenty of inexpensive tax preparation packages out there, many of which are free to low income earners, to help you along. Here are just a few:

Tax Preparation Packages

Company Package Price Notes

Intuit
TurboTax Deluxe $49.95

Free for 1040EZ &low income, Deluxe imports last year’s return, full Form 1040 filing. Free e-file.

2nd Story Software
TurboAct Deluxe $9.95

Free for 1040EZ & low income, Deluxe + State for $17.95, Deluxe includes all IRS forms. Free e-file.

H & R Block
Deluxe $49.95

Free for 1040EZ & low income, Deluxe for homeowners & investors, Free e-file.

Petz Enterprises
TurboBrain Deluxe $39.95

1040EZ for $14.95, 1040 Deluxe for $39.95, Tax Expert available at $129.95.

Taxes Due

If you are trying to calculate your taxes due, these tables may be more helpful. Remember that taxes are due on your adjusted income after accounting for deductions and other adjustments.

Single Filers

These tables are for single filers who are not surviving spouses or heads of household:

Taxable Income Tax
$0 – $8,500 10% of taxable income
$8,500 – $34,500 $850 plus 15% of excess over $8,500
$34,500 – $83,600 $4,750 plus 25% of excess over $34,500
$83,600 – $174,400 $17,025 plus 28% of excess over $83,600
$174,400 – $379,150 $42,449 plus 33% of excess over $174,400
$379,150+ $110,016.50 plus 35% of excess over $379,150

Married & Surviving Spouses

These tables are for married filing jointly or surviving spouses:

Taxable Income Tax

$0 – $8,500 10% of taxable income
$8,500 – $34,500 $850 plus 15% of excess over $8,500
$34,500 – $69,675 $4,750 plus 25% of excess over $34,500
$69,675 – $106,150 $13,543.75 plus 28% of excess over $69,675
$106,150 – $189,575 $23,756.75 plus 33% of excess over $106,150
$189,575+ $51,287 plus 35% of excess over $189,575

With the passage of the Bush era tax cut extension, these brackets aren’t much different than the 2010 tax brackets after an adjustment for inflation.

If you want to learn more, you can check out the always fun to read IRS Revenue Procedure 2011-12. And lastly, if you’re curious when are taxes due this year? April 17th, 2012.

(Photo: kozumel)

390 Responses to “Official 2011 US Income Tax Brackets (IRS Tax Rates)”

1. Christy says:

People complain about how taxing is not “fair” and that the rich need to pay more because they make more. However, what most people seem to forget is that when taxing is done by percentage of income then one flat tax rate it “fair” why should one group have to give a different percentage of their income. It makes no sense. People need to stop complaining about the rich and start working. One person’s failure is not the result of another’s success.

• Ultrafan says:

Why different %?

That’s pretty easy answer even a monkey like I can give.

(A) makes $1000000 (1 million) and is taxed 90% gets to keep $100000.
      (B) makes $10000 (10k) and is taxed 90% gets to keep $1000.

So, A = $8333 per month
      B = 83$ per month

A can live comfortably, B is eating out of trash cans.

Therefore, different % is more “fair”.

I guess that’s the reasoning but in my monkey world we don’t really give a crap about such things as morals, values, or ethics.

2. Roy D Mercer says:

Well I think Obama needs to come on down to my house a get him a big time ass woopin

3. Mike says:

Taxes and everything else in this universe fall under three universal laws of thermodynamics. According to second law of thermodynamics: Entropy is greater than the universe. Entropy is “law of disorder.” Since disorder is greater than the universe, it’s also greater than all of our systems (including government system). For example: every dollar goes into tax, less than 50 cents (I’m guessing this number; it could be higher or lower if we audit the Feds for the actual number) will actually come out towards the benefits. Every system has its imperfection, but it can be improves. We can could never get 100% perfect system, but we could try to get around 80%-90% if we cut out all the middle men or the Feds. We need taxes for social services, but we need to find the equilibrium point between paying too much taxes and inequalities.

4. Donald says:

Some wealthy people do create jobs through their industry and ingenuity and deserve personal credit for it and even tax breaks. Others just happen to have a lot of money thanks to the industry and ingenuity of someone else. Perhaps they create jobs by investing and spending their wealth, but they don’t deserve any personal credit for that. I think I could spend and invest their money just as well if not better;)

5. gs says:

I have been a teacher since 1975 and now can’t even afford to retire because the taxes would kill me. What a country.

6. Steve says:

wow….so much hatred. Perhaps we should all just agree to disagree. Being hateful one american to another isn’t going to solve this nations disastrous economic condition. The condition of our country didn’t get this way overnight and it won’t change overnight but I think we all would have to agree that some changes are in order. Truth of the matter, it doesn’t matter whether you are republican or democrat, or for that matter an independent. Until everyone starts working for the common good of this nation and not the common good of political party, nothing is going to change. I hope you all have a great day. Take care.

7. Get Real says:

How can the government take 45% in taxes on 25 hours of overtime pay? This would warrant jail time in any other scenario.
    What the F is the point of working hard in this country? And all these companies downsizing leaving employees no choice…
    American dream my A#%

8. Stu says:

The tax brackets may be fair if people actually paid their percentages! I can not tell you how many people I know in the uppper tax brackets who brag about all the things they lie and cheat about on their taxes so they do not have to pay these percentages. The tax laws are ridiculous!

• Strebkr says:

They get tax breaks for doing things the government deems beneficial to society. The best example is the guy who owns a business. He gets tax breaks for hiring employees, buying equipment, etc. The net effect is that he now pays wages to all his employees and the other businesses get his money when he buys things. More money is spread around. If he was taxed higher, he would have less to spend and you wouldn’t have a job at his small factory because he couldn’t afford you.

9. DW says:

So, what’s the “correct” government look like? How’s the “best” government organized?

These topics will always be debated, which is why America is so great (ah, freedom). If you disagree that America is great, no one is stopping you from moving to another country. One great aspect of American citizenship is our international privileges (mostly due to our significant charitable contributions to other countries).

If you are of the mindset that income should be limited or taxes should be increased or government spending should be increased to help resolve the current situation, then you need to re-think your way of life in America. There are many countries with higher income tax rates and more government programs (see: the entire Euro-zone). You will see more evenly distributed wealth in these countries. You will also see, generally speaking, an apathetic population with an “easy” lifestyle. I’m not debating whether that is right or wrong; it’s just not America. America is the dream. If you kill that dream, you’ll kill America. Escalating taxes will kill this dream. Talk with Americans who helped build this country (not me, I’m 30). Most will tell you that hard work built this country, not social entitlement programs.

Also, please don’t tell me that you don’t have the “opportunities” to be successful. My wife was born and raised in Russia. She learned to speak English, working very hard in teens and 20s through her own dedication. She moved here on a student visa and worked to get a 4.0 GPA for her bachelors (note: English is her second language). She is now in dental school and will graduate with massive school loan debt. Let me tell you — she wont’ complain about how unfair college tuition is or how dentists from 3 years ago started with higher salaries. She will work HARDER than the rest to become successful. She feels lucky to have the opportunity to build a great life with all the freedoms associated with America. If America moves from a great nation to play second fiddle to China or India over the next 30 years, then it will be because our citizen base has become lazy, entitled and over-privileged.

America does not need higher taxes. The beauty of America is in the power of the individual. If you believe that the government knows how to spend your hard earn money better than you, then you should look live somewhere else…

10. Ron says:

lock and load get ready its not far away

11. Eugene says:

Sadly we are failing to except the enormity of our debt; give up illusions of containment. The national debt is at $14.5 trillion, but the real debt is the $211 trillion in unfunded liabilities. Let’s try to bring into reasoning a number like a trillion in a way we might grasp… a million seconds is roughly 12 days, a billion seconds is 32 years, and a trillion seconds is 32,000 years… a million inches is 15.7 miles, a billion inches is 15,728.2 miles, and a trillion inches is over 15 and a half million miles (that’s like going to the moon and back 33 times). The hardest fact of all is that no matter what the outcome, it is unlikely you can ever again be the person you have been until now…

12. ArmyBrat says:

Dave:
    If you’re not going to stand behind your Countries Military … feel free to stand in front of them.

You are bashing a EXTREMELY important branch. It’s also called “Fighting for YOUR freedom”.

• Ultrafan says:

Well, if you’re getting paid to “fight for my freedom” I suggest you do your job and shut your mouth.

13. Anonymous says:

JP, i make abt 46gram, i do not know how much i will get back if claim my daughter. This tax thing is overwhelmming. Does one knows about how it works?

14. Jharmon says:

The Answer to all these contries falling into debt
    is really very simple, Its right in front of there eyes, they just need to do it if all the countries
    the deal with currency just wipe out there debt all together and everyone in the world start from scratch all money would be worth the same value as it was 25 years ago or 15 years ago, just wipe the debt it never happend everyone wins, the rich,poor ,and wealthy, and all the citizens keep the funds they have,people need to quit wanting to get rich, and need to just be wealthy, see when more and more people get rich, they want more and more money, which in turn breaks everyone else and really plunges the econo, why cant everyone just live based off what they need, not what they want!!!!!!!!

15. Jim says:

They need to adopt a 10% Flat Income Tax for everyone. Maximum 25 % tax rate to cover Federal taxes, Social Security, and Medicare. Create 5% Flat State Tax. We are already overtaxed with Sales and Property Taxes. It seems that the government is taking 50% of our income. Money spent trickles down to others and is taxed again and again.

16. Jim says:

One issue, is it seems like when they tax me $12000, then they give families with lower incomes and too many children, my money as a credit refund. The way I view that is, they are stealing from me, and giving it to them. They should at least have to mow our lawns and wash our cars for free, every week!

17. chris says:

im a ”low income” person. im also a father and a husband who works hard for what little money i do make. I thank God for the greedy rich folk who are taxed above what ”they beleive” is too much and not fair. my income tax check pays off a years worth of bills i have fell behind on a little. I am content with what i have, im just saying that low income familys dont just blow that money. dont yall know that in Gods eyes we are all the same…sinners! no matter how much money we obtain. so i stand here not to hate or judge the rich and wealthy but to thank them.

18. Cheese says:

Ok, lets make this easy! Flat Tax for everyone, then it’s all the same across the damn board for rich and poor. End of story!

19. Jon says:

How about we just do away with income tax, that would make it fair. Thats basically the same as making it 15%. Oh but who how would, anything get paid for? I know lets let free enterprize do it all!

20. Josh says:

These tax brackets are so messed up, 5 years ago I was working a 35k job making ends meat. Luckily the buisness I started turned into something great I never dreamed off. Just did my taxes and I was shocked to find out I was in the highest tax bracket.about 40k over. I feel blessed and I’m not complaining that I pay too much in taxes. My beef is why am I considered in same tax class as bill gates, CEOs,Michael Jordan and all the other “elites”. I’m not rich like them, I work 70 hours a week and don’t have the time to even enjoy the money.I go to the Starbucks and get a coffee, “they” own the starbucks.I think the tax brackets should keep going up for the rich And shouldn’t stop at 35%. that’s what’s wrong with this country, the elite call the shots, elect the officials and get the rules they want

21. Anonymous says:

i dont like most of the waste govt is blowing my wad so i wont be filing this year or next. sorry, i wont fund them criminals like obumba

22. SUE ZOHAR says:

THANK YOU FOR ALL THE INFO. I FOUND IT CLEAR AND INFORMATIVE FOR A START. ANY SPECIFIC INFO I NEED FOR MY INDIVIDUAL NEED WILL BE BASED ON YOUR INFO. THANK YOU A LOT.

23. KingJon says:

“Josh says:
    02/15/2012 at 9:14 pm
    These tax brackets are so messed up, 5 years ago I was working a 35k job making ends meat. Luckily the buisness I started turned into something great I never dreamed off. Just did my taxes and I was shocked to find out I was in the highest tax bracket.about 40k over. I feel blessed and I’m not complaining that I pay too much in taxes. My beef is why am I considered in same tax class as bill gates, CEOs,Michael Jordan and all the other “elites”. I’m not rich like them, I work 70 hours a week and don’t have the time to even enjoy the money.I go to the Starbucks and get a coffee, “they” own the starbucks.I think the tax brackets should keep going up for the rich And shouldn’t stop at 35%. that’s what’s wrong with this country, the elite call the shots, elect the officials and get the rules they wan”

You’re a moron.
    If it keeps going up, then why bother to be rich? You make 100k. Get taxed such and such. The wealthy rich makes 1,000,000
    They still paid 3x what you made, not how much you were taxed.

I’m surprised you even made a Business.