Career
comments

25 Well-Paying Jobs You Won’t Want

Business Pundit had a great post last week on 25 Well-Paying Jobs that Most People Overlook (and Why) meant to “spotlight jobs with stigmas attached to them that pay more than the typical person would think.” The headline job was that of crab fishermen and a shout out to one of my favorite shows, The Deadliest Catch. If you’ve ever seen the show, just one episode, you’ll know that those men earn every penny of the tens of thousands they earn in a short period of time. They get the crap beat out of them by the ocean, by the boat, by their captain and their crew mates. I totally understand why Alaskan King Crab is as expensive as it is.

Which job surprised me the most? Probably a dog walker:

Dogs can be scary enough without putting several of them on leashes and hoping they’ll behave for a complete stranger as you walk them around town. However, the undesirability of the job is precisely what makes it high-paying. In a busy metro area, a reputable dog walker can rake it in to the tune of $50 per hour. As one article points out, “that’s more than the average salary of a mid-level manager.”

If things don’t work out, I could always walk dogs.

8 Responses to “25 Well-Paying Jobs You Won’t Want”

1. I suspect it would be pretty tough to line up 40 hours/week of dog walking.

2. Moneymonk says:

IT employee made the list ! YES

3. Crime scene cleaner or CSI would be tough. Also coroner…. I watch what they do on the CSI tv series all the time and it’s impossible to do….

4. Sam says:

I never thought dog walking can be a profitable job*laughs*…maybe apart from blogging, this is the next career I can try! Wait why blogging is not included here?

Sam

5. dana says:

My boyfriend worked for a dog walking company for 3 years and the most he ever walked at once was 3 dogs, and that was if they were in one household. We live in a mid-sized metro area, and the business overall was making six figures yearly, with only 5 employees at busiest point.

My boyfriend was never bitten, he did get a few scratches because dogs would jump in excitement when he came to see them. And he got bug bites and sunburns. Honestly, the most dangerous things were having to walk dogs at night, because they did pet sitting for people out of town, and all the driving to the different areas of downtown, just because more time in the car means more potential for accidents.

The worst thing was the early morning and late night pet sitting- it made for an insane schedule, especially at the holidays. Not at all in line with having a normal life and relationships.

6. joe says:

Well I also think I would warn people off of medical school,particularly of the osteopathic variety. The debt is insane after graduation and the lifestyle sucks. Trust me on this.

7. Patrick says:

IT jobs are tough, but not as bad as some of the jobs on there. It’s not so bad working in a cubicle :)

8. thunderthighs says:

IT sounds brutal! But PSC is intriguing.