Personal Finance
comments

$250 Social Security Stimulus Check

I’ve been getting a lot of emails lately about the $250 Social Security stimulus check so I thought a post would be the best way to answer all of your questions. If you’re wondering where your $250 Social Security stimulus check is, wait until June 4th before trying to contact the Social Security Administration. The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 gave all social security recipients (SSI included) a one-time $250 payment, so if you are one of the 50 million individuals who get those benefits, the check is in the mail!

Who is eligible? You must be eligible for Social Security, SSI, Veterans, or Railroad Retirement benefits during November 2008, December 2008, or January 2009. If you were not eligible at that time, you will not receive the check. If you are eligible for multiple benefits, you will only receive one payment.

When and how will I receive the payment? You will get it the same way you are getting your current Social Security and Supplemental Security Income benefit. If you get it by check, you’ll receive the payment as a separate check. If you get it by direct deposit, you will get it as a separate direct deposit. The government has staggered the mailing of those payments throughout May so if you haven’t received it, it’s likely in the mail or in processing. You don’t have to do anything to receive the check and the Social Security Administration will not contact you for any information.

What if it’s after June 4th and still no sign of a check or deposit? Visit the Social Security Administration’s website for the one-time economy recovery payment information page to find out who you need to contact for more information. If you just want more information, this electronic booklet about the one-time economy recovery payment is also very informative.

45 Responses to “$250 Social Security Stimulus Check”

1. Elena says:

I am a little upset because I heard about that check comming, I have been getting SSI and SSDI for 11 years but an association was my payee and they told me I wasnt getting one. Which they must have lied because it says everyone on SSI was getting one.. I always thought they were lying and now I know…

2. Rosetta says:

Is this stimus for the 2012 year, because I read where you answered the question, but you never said if it was for this year. Please be a little more dirrect and concise, because as it stands now, social security giveth and social security taketh away!

3. minnie brunner says:

is there a 2012 social security stimulis rebate coming and if yes when will we recieve it

4. Juleen says:

I became eligible for ssa and SSI and it went back to that time when the stimulus was being sent out….I didn’t get until about 8months ago but my eligibility went back to then…so am I eligible for that stimulus now, even though it is August 2012…and if I am how do I go about getting it?

• Shirley says:

To be eligible for that stimulus check, you had to be RECEIVING SS benefits during November 2008, December 2008, or January 2009.

5. perry sanchez says:

I listened to the speeches at the democratic convention is was stated the stimulus check for $250 was approved for 2011 and would be
    also for 2012.

6. debbie says:

yes i,ve been on ssi since 1986 and i,ve never recieved a stimulus check.how can i get it??

7. gwen says:

i was wondering if its october 2012 and my son recieves disabilaty is he still eligible for the stimulus payment/ also i have another son who recieves ssa is he eligible also?

8. helenfeagans says:

i was told by a lady she is getting a stimulus check this year she is on scocial scurity and ssi will the others on ssi get one also