Personal Finance
comments

$250 Social Security Stimulus Check

I’ve been getting a lot of emails lately about the $250 Social Security stimulus check so I thought a post would be the best way to answer all of your questions. If you’re wondering where your $250 Social Security stimulus check is, wait until June 4th before trying to contact the Social Security Administration. The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 gave all social security recipients (SSI included) a one-time $250 payment, so if you are one of the 50 million individuals who get those benefits, the check is in the mail!

Who is eligible? You must be eligible for Social Security, SSI, Veterans, or Railroad Retirement benefits during November 2008, December 2008, or January 2009. If you were not eligible at that time, you will not receive the check. If you are eligible for multiple benefits, you will only receive one payment.

When and how will I receive the payment? You will get it the same way you are getting your current Social Security and Supplemental Security Income benefit. If you get it by check, you’ll receive the payment as a separate check. If you get it by direct deposit, you will get it as a separate direct deposit. The government has staggered the mailing of those payments throughout May so if you haven’t received it, it’s likely in the mail or in processing. You don’t have to do anything to receive the check and the Social Security Administration will not contact you for any information.

What if it’s after June 4th and still no sign of a check or deposit? Visit the Social Security Administration’s website for the one-time economy recovery payment information page to find out who you need to contact for more information. If you just want more information, this electronic booklet about the one-time economy recovery payment is also very informative.

45 Responses to “$250 Social Security Stimulus Check”

1. Shirley says:

It seems to come in on the day after your regular SS check comes. SS checks come on 2nd, 3rd or 4th Wednesday of the month. June 4 is a week after the last Thursday in May, giving time for any re-routing to have been corrected.

Hooray!… Ours came and now our roof is patched before the June showers!

2. Ron says:

I’m a Vet and receive non-taxable compensation. I received a letter last week from the VA saying that I will be receiving $250.00 in June NLT July 15th. My question is I also work and my employer has decreased my withholding by $60.00 a month (Married couple Stimulus – $800.00). Am I entitled to both? – I didn’t think so.

3. jennifer says:

So what if a child is getting the social security for his parents that died? Does he recieve a check?

4. Shirley says:

Anyone who is entitled to Supplemental Security Income (SSI) or to any of the Social Security benefits at any time during Nov 2008 to Jan 2009

* Retirement Social Security benefits.
    * Wifes or Husband’s Social Security benefits.
    * Disabled Adult Child benefits (but not other child’s benefits).
    * Widow’s, Widower’s, Mothers, Fathers, Parents Social Security Benefits.
    * Disability Insurance benefit.
    * Special age 72 benefits.

is eligible to recieve 250 USD Social Security Stimulus Payment check.

Children qualify for the 250 Social Security payment only if they are getting disabled adult child benefit.

5. thomas says:

I can’t remember if my mom got SS in January or not. I’ll pass this along.

6. Observer says:

The Department of Education ate my stimulus check.

• Shirley says:

Ouch!
      I remember those days all too well, even though they were quite some time ago now.

Chin up and bear with it; the education really IS worth it! {‘;’}

7. Taxpayer says:

I didn’t get a Obama Handout of $250. Why? Because I didn’t start my SS Benefits until March. Reasoning?
    Ok, where is my tax break then?
    What is the reasoning for this?
    I need the $250 to pay my property tax.

8. Anonymous says:

The information I have read about who is eligible for the $250 check says that you must be eligible for Social Security by Nov, Dec 2008 or Jan 2009. My birthday is in Jan. I was told by SS I was not going to receive the check because I was not allready receiving the check. I was eligible in Jan. What’s up??

• Shirley says:

Evidently you must be RECEIVING SS rather than just eligible to receive it. Although age is a factor in being eligible, you still must apply for benefits and be approved in order to be entitled to them.

Hope this helps clear it up.

9. John says:

Here it is Aug 29 and I still did not recieve my 250 check yet. I guess they forgot about me or ran out of money

10. MARIA GARCIA says:

I HAVE BEEN ON SOCIAL SECURITY 8 YEAR AND I NEVER RECEIVE THE 250.00 DOLLAR . I HAVE CALL,AND IN PERSON BEEN TO SSI OFFICE AND THEY SAID THAT THEIR IS NOTHING THEY CAN DO THAT THEY ARE DOING A INVESTIGATION BECAUSE SOMEBODY IS WORKING WITH MY NAME WHAT CAN I DO.

11. JUDITH DUNBRACK says:

I WAS TOLD BY THE SS OFFICE THAT I WOULD RECEIVE A STIMULUS CHECK IN NOVEMBER OF THIS YEAR,2009. NOW I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF THIS IS TRUE. I TURNED 62 IN FEB.2009. THANK YOU JUDY DUNBRACK

12. Roger says:

Is the $250.00 taxable? Do we have to clam it as an income on our 2009 tax return?

13. sue says:

my son gets ssa from his which is disable will he get 250.00 check to

14. Rick says:

The whole thing was a scam. If you recieved a check for $250.00 you will be paying back the whole $250.00 when you do your taxes. What was the point? It was a scam to make you feel all warm and fuzzy about our President. Thanks but no thanks.

• Shirley says:

Could you perhaps be confusing the stimulus check with the tax credit?

• Rod says:

Just figured this out myself. Received this “stimulus” check from the VA and now have to pay it all back. Not happy about it.

15. Debbie says:

My dad just did his taxes, did not put the 250 for each him and my mom total of 500, IRS rejected his return. He went back and added the stimulus money in as income, IRS accepted his return minus 500 less on their refund. SOME STIMULUS, more like another scam from our wonderful goverment. So yes it is taxable at 100%. If you pay taxes, you are screwed again!
    Why did they bother???

16. alice frazier says:

I receive a disability check. I have a 19yrold who has cerebal palsy since birth whom is in a w-chair. She dont receive a disability check. She receives d.c.f.s. subsidy.I adopted her at birth I am also her maternal grandmother do she qualify for the stimulus pkg. past and present.

17. MARGARITA VARGAS says:

I NENVER GOT MY 250.00 FOR 2009 WHEN ARE THEY COMMING OUT FOR MAY 2010

18. kc says:

why are they saying we are going to the get the stimulas checks and we are not where are they we need them this is bull shit obamah sucks

19. marlene Marmol says:

I never received $250.00 check this year Are they coming I check my checking actt. every day Are we going to get one o no will be nice if we receive one tha;nks

20. Shirley says:

The $250 cash (direct deposit or check) in 2009 was a one time thing.

There is no cash stimulus check planned for 2010 except for the Medicare donut-hole for Rx coverage. Google – Medicare Donut Hole – to learn more about that.

21. yolanda says:

where is the money people on social security need a increase for thosenhave work for years

22. jenn says:

my mom just died and i am on her checking account and her s.s check got deposited what do i need to do?

• Shirley says:

I’m truly sorry for your loss.

You will need to call Social Security and give them the date of your mother’s death. They will also ask you to send them a death certificate.

After they have received it, they will contact you again and let you know if that last check needs to be returned to them.

Do not close your mother’s checking account until you are absolutely sure that all financial matters have been taken care of, including any insurance policy payouts or refunds. You may receive payment in a check made out to her and this may take several months.

When you are ready to close that account, another death certificate may be required.

23. Anonymous says:

i was wondering if we were going to get the 250.00 for 2010 if so when are we going yo get it it could have been more. thank you

24. Anna Marie says:

My understanding of the $250.00 stimulus check was for people who had reached the donut hole. For all others, such as myself, who did not arrive at that point; then we did not get $250.00. I find it so unfair that Congress and the President have punished seniors who most likely worked all their lives, and yet no increase. However, Congress and the Senate voted themselves a raise. Is that a cost of living increase for them? If so, then why are we not getting a cost of living increase.

25. victoria newsome says:

will i get my check Monday