Credit, Personal Finance
comments

$50 Offered To Stay Citi Protector Cancellation

So my fiancee went to cancel her Citi Protector, we’d both mailed in our $100 gas certificates, and went to follow the script when she was, like several other people, offered $50 in rebates to stick with the program. She, predictably, fell victim to their tactics of “throw money at the problem” and will attempt to cancel in a month. She hopes to succeed in canceling next month, unless they once again decide to throw money at the problem.

Sometimes you’re the statistic and sometimes you’re the one who benefits from the statistics, we hope (you all included) we can stay in that second group as long as possible.

(Incidentally, the $100 gas certificate promotion link still works but all reports have shown that the expiration date on the certificate is the 31st and you can’t save receipts until you are enrolled, so signing up now may not be that great.)

9 Responses to “$50 Offered To Stay Citi Protector Cancellation”

1. Tristan says:

Just a FYI… I just signed up a week ago and the certificate I got in the mail expires on March 31st 2007.

2. Jason says:

Have you received your $100 check yet? I have decided not to cancel the credit protector until I receive the check. Of course, I’m carrying a $0 balance on this credit card, so it is not costing me anything to keep Credit Protector on there.

3. jim says:

Thanks for the information Tristan, that’s great to see they pulled the date back.

4. Nick says:

Don’t forget you can check the status of your rebate here:

Rebate Status

Mine shows as a “$100 rebate” despite the fact that I only submitted about $70 in gas receipts. I wonder if they actually bother to check the receipts…

5. samerwriter says:

I submitted receipts from 1-2 weeks before I signed up for the program, and I just got my $100 back.

It’s really not in their interest to stiff people on the check just because of the date on the gas receipts. They’d just wind up with angry customers.

6. RS says:

Just FYI. The $50 offered to stay enrolled in Protector is in form of five $10 checks that can be redeemed for five different gift cards, each after certain dates.

7. Brandon says:

Ah ha, I just cancelled a few minutes ago and I almost bit on the $50 offered to stay, but I figured there would probably be strings attached so I decided to hold off. Seems like it was a good call. Too bad I only got $15 for my trouble instead of $100 >_

8. FinancialLu says:

I called in today to cancel. I accepted a $50 card to use at Wal-mart, Home Depot… and I believe it was Sears? Hey, its free! Just remember to cancel.

9. Doug says:

I to fell for the 50 dollar I.d promise only to find there was no web site to track this,and also the customer service numbers are all automated with no way to talk to a real person. I have been waiting for “my gift” since Jan.