Personal Finance
comments

7 Green Valentine’s Day Gifts Your Girlfriend Will Love

Flamingos in LoveWith Valentine’s Day coming up in just a few short days, you’re either all ready or not at all. If you’re in the second camp, don’t rush out and buy a mass produced Valentine’s Day card and a box of chocolates in a heart shaped box. It lacks character, it lacks creativity, and shows that you’ve put only a little bit of thought into the day… which can hurt how Valentine’s night goes. :)

So, this year do something a little different. Being green is on everyone’s mind, whether you think it’s a bunch of BS or legit, so why not just try something new? Rather than overpaying for a Valentine’s Day card and that box of chocolates, find something that will save you some money and help the Earth while you’re at it? Here are seven green Valentine’s Day gifts I promise your Valentine will love.

Herb Garden

Herb GardenIf your loved one is a foodie, consider getting her a herb garden. Herb gardens are great because they’re very easy to maintain and they can provide you herbs all year round. Fresh herbs pack more flavor than the dry stuff and you don’t have to waste money on the packaging and processing the company does. Not only is it going to be cheaper in the long run but the flora will be a constant reminder of just how thoughtful and sweet you are. If you need some help keeping the plants alive year round, I recommend taking a look at this resource on indoor gardening.

Take A Hike (Together!)

HikingIf your honey is the outdoorsy type, why not go on a hike? Depending on how the weather is this weekend, it might be a great weekend for a short hike through a national park. It will usually cost you absolutely nothing to savor the outdoors and do a fun little walk through the woods. Where ever you decide to hike, be sure to bring plenty of water, snacks, and maybe even a picnic lunch.

If you’ve hiked everything around you and are looking for more adventure, check out Jeremy Smith’s Clean Breaks: 500 new ways to see the world. From the review: “This book is packed with off-the-beaten-track adventures that minimize environmental impact. Flipping to any page to find a prospect like Walk with rhinos at Leshiba or Pick a Papaya in Sri Lanka makes for lush material for either planning or daydreaming. –Sierra Magazine’s blog.”

Clean Up Her Place

Dyson VacuumWho doesn’t like coming home to a clean house or apartment? Whether you live with your Valentine or not, everyone loves not having to clean up after themselves so why not go the extra mile and clean up her place? Stop by your local store, pick up some environmentally friendly cleaners, and freshen up the place.

Depending on how close you are with your Valentine, you want to exercise a bit of discretion in what you decide to clean up. If you don’t live together, stick to common areas like the living room, kitchen and open bathroom areas. If you do, everything is fair game. Exercise your brain cells on this one, you don’t want to go where you haven’t been invited.

Make a Philanthropic Donation

White TigersWhat do you get someone who already has everything? Perhaps a donation to a green charity is the right gift to give this year. Some popular green charities include Charity: Water, Conservation Fund, Heifer International, Global Green, and The Nature Conservancy. Before donating, review the charity on Charity Navigator (here is their list of charities in the Environment category).

Skip Hallmark, Make Your Own Card

You're Unforgettable Homemade Valentine's Day CardSkip the store bought Valentine’s Day card, which is usually printed on virgin paper, and try making your own this year. Not only will you save money, you will create a unique masterpiece that showcases your creativity – something a $5.99 Hallmark card will never be able to achieve. Don’t have any good ideas for a card? Not a problem, I find that spending a few minutes looking at children’s Valentine’s day cards will give you all the inspiration you need to come up with something special for your girl. Check out Disney Family Fun’s Valentine’s Day Cards and Kaboose’s Homemade Valentine’s Day Cards should give you plenty of ideas.

If you aren’t the arts and crafts type, consider writing a love letter or a poem!

Massage

Spa MassageThere are very few people in the world who don’t like massages… and I feel bad for everyone one of them. For this gift, you can go one of two ways, neither of which are any better or worse than the other. You can either go to an ecofriendly spa for a couples massage or simply pick up a few bottles of organic massage oil. While going to the spa lacks a bit of the intimateness, at the end of the day a massage from a professional will leave you relaxed and happy. If you’ve never been to a spa before and don’t know the difference between a Swedish Massage and a Myofascial Release (isn’t that such an unfortunate name for a massage?), this Huffington Post article should help.

Cook a Romantic Dinner

Candlelit Pizza DinnerThe romantic candle-lit dinner is the pinnacle of a green Valentine’s day gift that is both thoughtful and sustainable. Anyone can call up a restaurant and make a reservation, but to throw on an apron to make a good meal takes preparation, thought, and skillful execution. You can go the route of preparing the entire meal on your own or include the cooking as part of the fun. If your girlfriend or wife enjoys cooking as much as she enjoys your company, including her is a sweet way to spend more quality time together. Try to pick foods that are as fancy as what you’d get in a restaurant and go out on a limb.

Bonus tip: If you dine by candlelight, you’re saving on electricity too!

If you’ve never done it before, give it a try. I guarantee your significant other will love it… especially if you do the dishes.

What are you planning this weekend? Hurry up, you have four days left!

(Photos: kjunstorm, kaiton, peregrineblue, troymason, eustaquio, Family Fun, denniswong, jyode)

36 Responses to “7 Green Valentine’s Day Gifts Your Girlfriend Will Love”

1. Ron says:

These are things I would love to get — as a man! Especially #1, #6, and #7.

2. Scott says:

Jim, you probably have no idea but that picture of the white tigers above has got to be from/at the Singapore Zoo. Those cats are awesome! I even got a video of the one swimming – who knew big cats liked water?

3. DJ Wetzel says:

Besides buying overpriced disposable razor blades, paying $5.99 for a greeting card has got to be the most irritating racket in our economy!

The picture of the white tigers reminded me that if you cannot afford to make a donation, you could always go visit and support your local zoo. Ours cost just $5 to visit and they have all the animals as a larger zoo with twice the ambiance and experience!

4. echidnina says:

I think plants make awesome gifts – I’ll take a potted plant over some already-dead cut flowers any day! :) – And herbs are even better! I tried growing my own basil last year, and though it isn’t doing so hot now I got some tasty meals out of it while it was thriving.

5. ziglet19 says:

Great list! I have made homemade cards in the past, but thanks for the link for card ideas, there’s several cute ideas there.

6. All great ideas. I wish I was more creative so I could make my own cards, but I usually don’t do the card thing anyways.

7. Ryan says:

We are skipping V-day this year and instead saving to go to Key West.

• echidnina says:

That sounds nice! No one should be obligated to celebrate a holiday, especially when you can use that money to do other things you want to do :)

8. jsbrendog says:

homemade cards are the way to go for sure

9. zapeta says:

I have nothing planned for this weekend so the tips are appreciated, although I’m going to be in trouble if I don’t get her chocolate.

10. amy3e says:

Here is another thoughtful, romantic and GREEN idea for a Valentines gift that won’t break your budget: http://www.celebrationideasonline.com/thoughtful-valentine-gift.html

11. Wilma says:

What thoughtful ideas. Your honey loves you 4 sure. =)

12. Martha says:

Saving for a trip can be enough of fun thing to do together… I love thinking about an upcoming adventure. Even a night looking at things to do on your trip can be fun :)

For an extra frugal Valentine’s day I’m going to do something that does cost any money… that’s why I liked Green Ideas #2 and #3. Plus, if you write your SO a letter why you think their awesome you they can keep it as a momento :)

13. shaun says:

WOW…I cannot believe that another Valentine Season is upon us. Truth of the matter is that when it comes to that special someone in your life…everyday should really be valentines day shouldn’t it? I mean seriously…why only do something special for them only 2 or 3 times a year?

Shaun (Hopeless Romantic)
    PS…I came across this cute but so funny valetines day video. http://bit.ly/FunnyValentineVideo

14. govenar says:

I like how the picture for “Cook a Romantic Dinner” is of pizza.

15. PT says:

Nice reminders, Jim. I like the hike idea and the cooking. I’m going to try and cook some steaks this weekend. Maybe I’ll make one of these cards too.

16. javi says:

Thanks for the idea of making your own cards, it more personal.

17. Kim’s in El Salvador this weekend… Helping out less fortunate folks. I’m back home with the kids… Planning on getting her some flowers and celebrating a belated VDAY when she gets back (on Tuesday). The plan is to have all the work done around the house, everything cleaned up when she returns. I’ve got my work cut out for me.

18. eric says:

Completely random but this weekend is also Chinese New Year! :)

• saladdin says:

You must not be in shipping. This holiday is worse then catching a case of the clap.

saladdin

19. Shirley says:

Our computers are on a LAN so that I can access his through mine. I create a personalized Valentine for him (or Christmas, Easter, whatever) and when he boots up the next morning, it is on his computer screen as centered wallpaper. He loves it!

20. aaron says:

Every year, I am confused about the consumerism that is so engrained in Valentine’s Day. This article has it right. If you really want to impress your honey this year, think a little bit more about that you can do for them as opposed to what you can buy them. This article from the Greener Truth does a great job explaining how you can both be better to the environment and give a more meaningful gift.
    Think about it, what means more to your partner than spending time with you?

21. robblerobble says:

Sweet, that’s both of my significant others taken care of.

22. WiseFinish says:

I like a scavenger hunt – with some candy along the way of course :)

23. Arron says:

Nice write up, love the hike idea. I might put that one in to action next year … could even pre hide a picnic on the route. Best gift i did that didnt cost me much but the girlfriend loved was a collage of pictures for our 5th anniversary, but each picture came from each of the 5 years that we had been together. She loved it.

24. Patti Dyron says:

Here’s a funny quote to make you smile :)

There are three kinds of lies: Lies, Damn Lies, and Statistics. :)