Shopping
comments

Amazon No Longer Offers Price Drop Guarantee!

That’s right, according to The Consumerist, who received an email from a reader, the Amazon Price Drop guarantee is gone for items purchased after September 1st, 2008. Booo!

Here’s the email:

Hello from Amazon.com.

Thank you for contacting us to take advantage of our Post-Order Price Guarantee.

I’ve confirmed that we now offer a greater discount on item than at the time you placed your order.

Since your purchase shipped within the past 30 days, I’ve requested a refund of $5.78 to the original payment method used for your order.

This amount reflects the difference between the price you were originally charged for the item and the current price offered by Amazon.com. This refund should be processed in the next few days.

Only orders placed before September 1, 2008 are eligible for a price difference refund under the Post-Order Price Guarantee policy. As of September 1, 2008 we are no longer offering discounts if prices change on our website after you make a purchase.

Thank you for shopping at Amazon.com—we hope you’ll visit us again soon.

Shucks.

11 Responses to “Amazon No Longer Offers Price Drop Guarantee!”

1. Booooo! I’ve saved a ton of money through this policy. That definitely makes Amazon less attractive in my eyes.

2. Patrick says:

What!!! This is crazy. I have used this several times and makes it easier to buy from Amazon. This will change how I buy from Amazon. They could really lose tons of money by dropping this policy alone.

3. Steve says:

I can’t imagine anyone changing buying habits because of this. They are still more convenient and cheaper than most places and I imagine the number of people that have ever used the policy is an incredibly small fraction of all customers. It does suck for those of us who have.

4. Rev says:

As a regular Amazon user I have never once used this policy. Won’t miss it.

5. Briana says:

This is a bummer. It hasn’t saved me a ton over the years but it has saved me a few bucks here and there.

6. Jonsey says:

I too have save A LOT with this policy..I’m going to be shopping MUCH less at Amazon now. That was their best policy!

7. Michele says:

I’m not happy at all!!! I missed out on $12 because the price dropped in a day! If I had known this policy wasn’t in effect beforehand I would have just completed their return form and bought the item again at the good price. They are going to lose more money with all the returns!!

8. Tim says:

they still have the pre-order price drop policy, though.

I’d check with your credit card company, because depending on your credit card level, you have built in price guarantee programs–that is, gold, platinum, world, and world elite mastercards have price protection. visa is not as straightforward, but visa signature cards have price protection, as do many of the visa business cards, and then for gold and platinum i believe you would have to check with your credit card issuer.

it’s amazing how many people do not know about their credit card programs.

9. THOMASINA says:

Dear Jim:
    I just wanted to let you know that I found all of your posts on, Amazon’s price drop policy, very informative.

Please, keep up the good work.

Sincerely,