Shopping
comments

Amazon Price Drop Policy

I’ve written about this in the past but I wanted to once again remind everyone about Amazon.com’s ridiculously awesome price drop policy. The rule is that if you buy the item from Amazon (not one of their third party sellers) and the price drops within 30 days, you can get the difference refunded to your account! Now that it’s the holidays and tons of stores are slashing prices to compete, nearly every order I’ve made in the last month has had a price drop.

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare for the Xbox 360 cost me $59.99 on November 26th, today the price fell to $39.99 and I scored myself a $20 refund to my credit card.

By far and away the best tracking site for price drops has to be Price Protectr. All you do is enter in a URL, they find the item, and then you enter an email. They send you one email when you sign up an item and then they only send future ones if the price falls within 30 days. The email they send includes all the information you need to make a request.

The text of the email I send, through Amazon.com’s system, is always a simple:

The price of this item has dropped to $XX.XX, please refund the difference to my credit card.

Nice and easy, Amazon handles the rest like a charm. They’ll just send you a form email back indicating they made the refund.

Price drops have saved me over a hundred dollars in the last month, so it’s worth the extra minute it takes to enter it into Price Protectr.

8 Responses to “Amazon Price Drop Policy”

1. Me says:

Thank you. Although I did purchase a box set at a better price than listed now, I did find a CD listed lower. Only $1.99, but that $2 can buy me a breakfast taco!

2. kitty says:

Oh my god… I wish I’d known about it. I am late by 10 days. I think the price on the item I bought in early November dropped during Thanksgiving holidays, but I didn’t know about it. Right now it is less than what I paid for it, and I think it dropped around Thanksgiving, but I have no way to prove it. Do you think it make sense to write them and ask when they lowered the price or is it too late?

Thanks though. I wanted to buy a DVD player/recorder and I was waiting for Christmas even though if I were to buy it now I’d have a chance to watch movies over the holidays. This means I don’t need to wait: if I buy it now and the price drops I’ll get a refund.

Just wish I’d been reading your blog in 2005, then I’d have known about it.

3. Jason says:

Amazon’s price drop policy is just insane – what other company would even entertain the thought of refunding part of your purchase simply because they ran a sale down the road. Unbelievable customer service!

4. David says:

Saved me $25 a month ago – one of the internet’s best ideas in ages.

5. kitty says:

“Amazon’s price drop policy is just insane – what other company would even entertain the thought of refunding part of your purchase simply because they ran a sale down the road. ”
    Ann Taylor does it, I believe so does Macy’s. Marshall Fields does it as well. Ann Taylor does it for two weeks after you buy it – a saleslady told me about it when I was paying for my purchase. I’d imagine large department stores all have this policy.

If you’ve not worn the item yet and it still has tags Marshall Fields and Macy’s will do it for much longer than a month since their return policy is so flexible: you can always return an item and buy it again for a new price. My mother got a refund at Marshall Fields 6 months after the purchase, but she had to bring the dress and show that it still has tags. Not sure at what point you need to bring the item.

One reason I feel so stupid for not asking the amazon if they have this policy is because I had used it at other stores. Oh well, at least I’ll use it in future.

6. James says:

I noticed no one had posted a comment in a while, and I wanted to put in two cents.

Thanks for the feedback on Price Protectr. We now cover over 100 stores, including Amazon. Hope more people find out about us and use us to save money. We also just launched price watching and price targeting, so check it out.

James
    Price Protectr CEO

7. Brian says:

Just got $10 back from newegg because a hard drive went on sale :)

8. Ray says:

Looks like they no longer do this. I got this rather rude-sounding mail from Amazon CS:

“I’m not able to speak to the reasons you may have received a refund for a similar situation in the past. At this point, we don’t match prices or give refunds for price changes when the item has already been shipped.

Prices on some items may change due to special offers from suppliers and manufacturers or our inventory and sales volumes. When we can offer a lower price for new purchases we will, but we can’t honor new discounts for completed orders.

I’m sorry I don’t have better news for you; this is our policy at this time. We won’t be able to comment on this issue further.”