Shopping
comments

Amazon’s Price Drop Policy

Did you know that if the price on something you buy drops, within 30 days of your purchase date, Amazon.com will credit you the difference if you ask for it? It’s a not-advertised price drop policy that most people don’t know about and it’s saved me tons of money over the last few years. I didn’t know it was “secret” until I brought up recently and no one knew what I was talking about, so I thought I’d write a post all about how to take advantage of it. One of the great things about the drop policy is that it still works for orders where a coupon is involved or a “Buy Both and Save” deal is utilized. They only consider the individual item prices (based on the invoice) and not the final price after discounts!

The first step is to investigate which of your purchases may be eligible for a refund. Simply go into “Your Account” and look at all orders in the last 30 days. The items in your invoices are links so you can click on it and see if the prices match. If the price has dropped, you have a great candidate. Copy the order number because you’ll need it when you request the refund.

Then, go here: Return & Refunds Contact Form. You should see a contact form where you can now request your refund.

Change the Subject dropdown to “Refund Inquiry” and look to see if that order is one of the ones listed, check the boxes if they are. If they aren’t, you’ll have to paste in that order number in the “Other” box.

In the last year they’ve really streamlined this process, I believe all you have to do now in comments is write that the price of your item has dropped within the last thirty days and that you’d like a refund. The presence of the dropdown box probably means you can select multiple orders and just write a generic comment and it should get taken care of. In the past, I specifically called out item names, old and new prices.

Where this because beautiful, and I hope they haven’t changed, is when coupons are taken into account. If let’s say you purchase two Le Creuset pots that were $125 as a Buy Both and Save deal. Technically each pot costs a certain price if they were purchased individually (say, each are $99.99 which is not uncommon). You purchase them for a combined special price of $125, apply a $25 Kitchen and Houseware’s coupon, and have three hundred pounds of pot (ha, that sounds funny) shipped to you for $100 even. Now you find out each of the pots have dropped in price to $79.99 – simply request a refund and it will be granted, without any consideration to the Buy Both and Save Deal or the coupon!

You can request refunds on something repeatedly as long as it keeps dropping in price and no price drop sum is too small. When all it takes is an email, a mere fifty cents warrants an email to Amazon.

Want more Amazon tips? You can check Amazon Prices via your cell phone.

37 Responses to “Amazon’s Price Drop Policy”

1. Ana says:

I just requested my price-drop refund. I did it through chat and this is what they told me…

“Hi, thank you for waiting. I can see here that the item has changed it’s price 9 days from the day you have ordered it and according to our policy, we can’t refund that. But for this situation, I am giving you a one time exception. Just for this moment, i will refund you the difference of the item.”

The difference was a little over $17 and it was on a “Cyber Monday/Week” deal that was only good for a limited time! (an hour or so) AWESOME!!!

Thanks for the tip ;)

2. Lorraine says:

Thanks for the information. I didn’t even get a good response. I was just sent a link to the pricing page. It’s too bad because 3 of my items went down more than 50% within the 30 days.

Thanks anyways…happy shopping!

3. Kelli says:

I also spoke with an Amazon rep via chat and received a one time exception for a credit of $19.01. Definitely worth pursuing.

Thanks for the tip!

4. Anonymous says:

Thanks for this post. It actually worked and I just received a refund of $22.78 for a price change within 3 days of placing an order. This was really helpful information.

Thanks again for the tip!

5. Calif Gal says:

I tried to get an a credit for an item with a price drop. It the transaction is considered completed they well not adjust the pricing. So the above blogger stated within 30 days no longer applies. Best to keep an eye on the price of the item while you are waiting for it to arrive

6. NL says:

Thank you. Your tip worked in my case. The item arrived last week, but I noticed a price drop. I went to the contact page and had a quick chat. They posted a return without any questions.

7. nonegiven says:

\o/ They said:
    normally, we’re only able to issue refunds for price differences
    if the item is sold by Amazon and the drop happens within 7 days of the
    item being shipped. However, since you’ve been with us since all the way
    back in 1997 and have been an excellent customer, I’m going to make an
    exception and go ahead and request the refund. Give me just a moment to
    set that up for you.

8. Dcat27 says:

For this tip I got back 24.21 – yeah!!

9. Anonymous says:

Well….isn’t this the blog post that keeps on giving! I went into the Amazon chat room and was quickly and politetly refunded $16.

So glad I found this article.

10. Charllie says:

I am so glad for this tip. I had just seen on the news the other night about how much prices on the same item can vary considerably, even in a single day on Amazon. I had purchased a major item about 5 days ago, and after reading this sight , chatted with Amazon, who cheerfully refunded me a $65 price difference on the item. I just had to give them my order number.