Government
comments

Another Stimulus Check? Perhaps.

Another Economic Stimulus Check?Update: Here’s the latest on the second stimulus package.

When Democratic Presidential hopeful Barack Obama mentioned a second stimulus check in a speech in early June, I didn’t think that it would actually happen. Presidential nominees do a lot of talking in the months leading up to November and I chalked the idea of another stimulus check as a short term as just that – talk.

Well, turns out that the Democrats, led by House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, want another stimulus check. As expected, the Republicans are firing back, President Bush is asking that we “wait for the stimulus package to fully kick in,” and it’s simply business as usual in Washington.

I have mixed feelings about yet another stimulus check. On one hand, I understand that there are many families on the boundaries getting squeezed by soaring fuel and food prices. On the other, I don’t think the “stimulus package” is really stimulus at all and I don’t really think a stimulus package is the solution to our economic woes. Overall, I think it’s just political maneuvering and time that would be better spent on more important issues like education, medicare care, or climate change.

At this point, it’s merely political fodder and we shouldn’t expect another stimulus check, just that there have been discussions of one. As anyone who has watched Congress work can attest to, there are plenty of discussions in Washington that lead nowhere.

Democrats plan second economic stimulus bill [Associated Press]

(Photo: daquellamanera)

221 Responses to “Another Stimulus Check? Perhaps.”

1. Karen says:

Anybody is better then Bush… Maybe the economy will be better once Bush is out of office. He is the one to blame why everyone is having it so hard. I am glad Obama won, because if it was McCain it would be Bush all over again….

2. kayla says:

They need to send the poor people something,why keep giving the rich when the middle class and poor people are living from pay check to pay check and still not eough money to pay everybody that needs to be paid.Gas prices and food are going up really cant afford everything.Some people don’t even know how their kids will have a good christmas this year how everything is going. Life really could be better for the poor and middle class people if they would stop giving all the money to the rich and rich

• sarah says:

WELL , PUT OUT THE MONEY YOUR GOING TO GET IF YOU DO CAUSE ALL THAT IS GOING TO HAPPEN IS THE GAS COMPANIES WILL BE TAXED WHICH IS WHERE THE MONEY IS SET TO COME FROM AND GUESS WHAT GAS WILL AGAIN BE 4.00 A GALLON AND HOW LONG WILL A 1000 BUCKS GO YOU GUYS NEED TO READ THE FINE

3. V. Bradley says:

Did Steve give up? lol. Right now none of us Tax paying Americans workin’ hard for a livin’ need an english class from steve. although, he might do really well with the illegal aliens takin’ so many benefits from people born here in the U. S. Don’t give a shit how i spelled ,worded, or where my commas went either. I am Cherokee!!!!! who the hell are you Steve?

4. TDF says:

Roner what are you talking about, the dollar menu at these places you mentioned are not even a dollar any more that’s how much the economy has changed. And Dudeman or should I say DoDoMan just because Obama’s middle name is Hussein what in the hell does that mean. I’ll tell you what it means, it means that is his middle name fool. As of January 20th he is going to be President. It is what it is so deal with it.

5. Karen says:

I thought that I would pass this on to everyone… GO OBAMA!!!!!

… WASHINGTON – The Supreme Court has turned down an emergency appeal from a New Jersey man who says President-elect Barack Obama is ineligible to be president because he was a British subject at birth. The court did not comment on its order Monday rejecting the call by Leo Donofrio of East Brunswick, N.J., to intervene in the presidential election.

Donofrio says that since Obama had dual nationality at birth — his mother was American and his Kenyan father at the time was a British subject — he cannot possibly be a “natural born citizen,” one of the requirements the Constitution lists for eligibility to be president.

Donofrio also contends that two other candidates, Republican John McCain and Socialist Workers candidate Roger Calero, also are not natural-born citizens and thus ineligible to be president.

At least one other appeal over Obama’s citizenship remains at the court. Philip J. Berg of Lafayette Hill, Pa., argues that Obama was born in Kenya, not Hawaii as Obama says and Hawaii officials have confirmed.

Berg says Obama also may be a citizen of Indonesia, where he lived as a boy. Federal courts in Pennsylvania have dismissed Berg’s lawsuit. Federal courts in Ohio and Washington state have rejected similar lawsuits.

Allegations raised on the Internet say the birth certificate, showing that Obama was born in Hawaii on Aug. 4, 1961, is a fake.

But Hawaii Health Department Director Dr. Chiyome Fukino and the state’s registrar of vital statistics, Alvin Onaka, say they checked health department records and have determined there’s no doubt Obama was born in Hawaii.

The nonpartisan Web site Factcheck.org examined the original document and said it does have a raised seal and the usual evidence of a genuine document.

In addition, Factcheck.org reproduced an announcement of Obama’s birth, including his parents’ address in Honolulu, that was published in the Honolulu Advertiser on Aug. 13, 1961.

(This version CORRECTS that Hawaii officials, not secretary of state, confirmed Obama birth certificate.)

Collapse Article

6. dmary says:

To michelle i really believe that u have been skipping too many meals because the things coming out of your mouth sound like your head is full of nothing but air on a empty stomach……….Duhhhhh

7. Michelle says:

dmary., there are to many H’s in your Duhhh. you need to go sober up! It sounds like to me you had way to much alcahol. After you sober up you need to go do a lot more studying on OBAMA!!!! Then come back to this page., BUT YOU HAVE TO BE SOBER NOW!!!!!!

• Monique says:

Alcahol???? And you dare to correct the spelling of a word like duhhh, that really isn’t a word?

8. brit says:

when are we getting the second stimulus check i heard december and then i heard that we were getting it with are income tax return does any one really whats happening ?

9. jj says:

We are not getting another one. The only ones who can get one, are the ones who did not get the first one (if they are eligible). Sorr, it seems Obama said what he had to, to get peoples vote. No where in his supposed “stimulus package” does it mention a check.

10. ashley says:

i think anothing stimulus check is inorder. But when i say another check it needs to be something with some $$$ next to it. That 600 didnt do anything for me. If they are going to give us another check is should be atleast starting at 1500. Hell we are already in debt whats a little more. That first check was just a tease.

11. Addie says:

I truly think another stimulus check is in order. Times are pretty hard right now the cost of living is just too exspensive. My tax dollars has been taken out faithfully every week and now that I need a help in hand , I think it is only fair the it is given. The United States is always on call for other countries be there for our own people. I say yes to it. The rebate is so small that it can only just help pay one bill but it is better than nothing. That’s bill paid with help. The political side to this is that there will be a big fight over this…………It’s just a few dollars to help everyone. So people stay on this we need to have this second stimulus check. Bless you all.

12. Cosmo-Girl says:

Well first of all! I could only wish that we would get another stimulas check this year or even on our next income taxes. I believe that whatever amount that we get really helps out in a time of need. Yes I wouldn’t mind if it were alittle more next time but I am not being greedy. Even if we get just $600.00 more dollars, to me I believe that at least it is $600.00 more dollars that I have in my pocket that I didn’t have before. So does anyone really know if we are really getting another check or is it just rumors? Can someone please let us know. Thank You

• jim says:

Unfortunately, President-elect Obama’s economic recovery plan doesn’t call for a stimulus check so I don’t think one will be coming.

• flip says:

I dotn really care if there is another round of checks or not the law he just signed should help us blue collar americans just fine, and i dont know about ya’ll but an extra 13 bucks a week will help me out alot

13. Michelle says:

It sounds like we might be getting a check, but we will be getting it when we file for income taxes. I think it is $1000.00 for couples and $500.00 for singles. I hope we do. It would help alot.

• jim says:

Unfortunately we are not. Obama’s plan will invest in infrastructure like roads and bridges, not checks to individuals. History has shown that the stimulus checks, while helpful to the families who received them, didn’t actually stimulate the economy. I’m not saying I don’t want people to get a little help when they’re experiencing tough times, but the checks didn’t accomplish the overall goal.

• Michelle says:

Your right it didn’t help the aconomy one bit. Obama is talking tax break, and if they go through with that it would help my husband and i, and it might help the rest of you americans household budgets i dont know, but i still dont see it helping the economy. Its going to take alot more and i mean ALOT MORE money and a whole lot more effort to get that overall goal done.

14. jill says:

hi. im a 30 year mom and considered the “working poor”. i have a full time job of 11 years, barely…the are talking about layoffs and all of that stuff. banks and buisnesses are getting help from our government but hey if regular people dont have the money to go spend then it was a waste of time. the regular folk need some help for….bills, food, heat, gas, ya know some essentials!!!!!!!!!

15. Trese says:

Do you know that when a bank borrows from a bank, they charge them one percent or less to pay it back, thats to give the bank thats borrowing a break so its easier to pay back, that what banks do. Now, would a bank give a person a break like that who is having financial problems? Just so its easier for them to live and pay the mortgage? No, they would not, same with these big companies who got bailout money from the government, they would never give anyone a break themselves, because they were on top, the little guy gets stepped on, and is living paycheck to paycheck, while these heads of these companies are living in mansions, and dont worry about where the next meal is coming from, or if there will be one. I think instead of bailing out these companies who are having problems with people paying, the government should split the money they are giving to these mortgage companies, with all of us taxpayers, it would average out to about 500,000 to each couple, instead of struggling to pay the mortage company, they can pay the home off, they can pay the car off, all the credit cards from banks, pay them off too, you see, the mortgage companies would benefit, they would have money comeing in all over the place, car loan places would benefit, they would also have money coming in too, and the banks would be happy, people would be paying things off, and they would be getting the money back in their pockets. A dream? yes it is, but just think how much that would help the economy, people would be spending again, alot, and where would the taxes and revenue go? BACK TO THE GOVERNMENTS BANK ACCOUNT, we would still have to pay taxes on it of course!!!!! A lot of people would benefit from that.

16. struggling like everyone else says:

I completely agree with you but it seems like noone is concerned about the normal people who have mortgages and car loans and medical bills and living expenses.
    I don’t understand why they can’t see how much better life would be in the united states for everyone if we were to “bail out” the normal person and stop helping out the ones who are worried about what $$$$ suit they will put on the next morning.

17. Steven says:

I think another stimulus check would be great for the american people. After all it’s our money they have took from us hard working americans. They goverment will find any reason to raise our taxes,and take,and take,and take from the hard working struggling americans. While they sit back an what us work our self to death. I think the economy would have been better off if the goverment would have took that 300 billion dollars,and gave it to the peole. We could have paid our houses down or in some cases off. That would have helped the housing,and the banks. We could have paid our car notes off,and that would have helped the car business. With those paid off we’ve put money back in the housing,the car business,and the banks. That will free up the people to take care of their families more stess free,and to be able to put MORE money back into the economy. Instead they gave it to business that just wasted it,and want more.

18. Steven says:

I ment 700 billion dollars.

19. Trese says:

AMEN!!!

20. john says:

well obama you got our vote and now it time you help with this second check and open them up and dont prolong like redneck bush did and i am tired of government complaining we are losing more money , weel i got good news , quit given away money to other country and start forus here in america , i dont care about other country and so obama get your as move and sign open and start mail this check , we all are tax payer money and it belong to us , dont wait for us to boost the ecomony , blame stock market oka !

21. Crystal says:

It’s interesting that the Bush administration or someone along those lines spent over $400,000 just on new china wear. Hmmm….makes me wonder….

• Michelle says:

It makes me wonder too. The economy is gone down,and all they are studying is how they are going to decorate a d___n table…….I mean come on. They need to be thinking about US here!!!!!!!!!!

22. KD says:

They wont we are middle class income people that keep this country going paying taxes to keep the rich getting richer, poor getting foodstamps,and other assistance and the people in prison to be warm in winter cool in the summer and having three meals aday and t.v. to watch!
    Also heard that we are going to have to claim that stimulus check on our income taxes? I haven’t started mine yet so I do not know for sure if that is true just something that was told to me!

23. Latasha says:

I think a second stimuls check would be good thing. It would help us pay the things that we need to pay like bills that we may behind on or just diapers ,clothes for our children and many other things . Finding work these last sevearl months has been very diffacult. I have three children that im trying to provide for and it is very hard but I cant let them down. Have to stay strong. So yes it would help the people that need it and this day and time theirs probley alot of people that could use it. We could use any extra money that could be gotten.God bless.

24. KD says:

Ok it cost how much to throw that big polictical bash yesterday? hundreds of millions of dollars!!!!!???!?!?!?!?! that is what you call big STUPID GOVERMENT!
    ok now reading on yahoo that obama froze salaries..