Career
comments

Going Bald? How to Improve Your Confidence & Financials

Bald EagleDonald Trump is famous for his business prowess, but maybe even more so for his infamous comb over. In a society that values youth and attractiveness, noticing you are beginning to lose your hair can be emotionally difficult. According to Today Health, “Male pattern baldness affects 40 million men in the U.S., and a quarter of them start going bald by age 30.” Knowing you are not alone often doesn’t make you feel any better.

If you are losing your hair, you have four choices: comb it over, wear a toupee, buy Rogaine, or shave it off.

Surprisingly, only one of those choices is best for your financial bottom line.

Combovers and Toupees

In general, combovers and toupees may make the man feel that he is hiding his hair loss, but most people know. Combovers are generally looked down upon as are toupees. In fact, the combover phenomena has even spawned an independent documentary, Combover, The Movie. As one person says in the film, “Any time you are using your own hair to cover bald flesh on your skull, that is a combover, my friends, and there is no turning back. You will be the man you mocked when you were fifteen years old.”

Rogaine

Rogaine costs approximately $30 a month for treatment, but you must apply this regularly to retain any new hair growth. If you stop using Rogaine, you will lose the new hair growth within 3 to 4 months. At $30 a month, you are looking at $360 a year, which doesn’t sound that expensive. However, if you start using Rogaine at 35 and stop at age 65, you are looking at spending $10,800 (not including the inevitable increases in price) to retain your hair.

Shave It Off

Thanks to Michael Jordan, some refer to our time as the time of baldness. However, embracing baldness can be difficult. “Hairstyles are an expression of the man underneath the locks. And if the hair goes, often confidence and self-esteem are quick to follow” (Today Health). It doesn’t have to be that way, though.

A recent article published in Social Psychology & Personality Science revealed that 3 studies show that men who shave their heads when they are beginning to bald are seen as “more dominant than men with full heads of hair” and that men can “improve their interpersonal standing by shaving.”

Why is this? Perhaps if you use a combover or another way to disguise your baldness, you are perceived as weaker, while if you admit that you are balding and take matters into your own hands by shaving it all off, you are perceived as confident and dominant.

Look at others who have done this including Bruce Willis and Samuel L. Jackson. They exude confidence and sexiness. In fact, one woman interviewed for Today Health said, “‘For me, a man with a bald head looks sexy.’” Another said, “‘The hair is not important to me. It’s what’s inside that counts.’”

If you are balding and looking to rev up your confidence level as well as improve how you are perceived (and potentially how much more you can earn with your newfound confidence), perhaps shaving it all off is the way to go.

Now, if only Prince William would take the plunge and shave it all off.

What’s your take? Would you shave your head if you were going bald? Have you?

(Photo: tambako)

16 Responses to “Going Bald? How to Improve Your Confidence & Financials”

1. Hmmm. I wonder how losing your hair applies to women. Women and their hair seem like a whole different matter.

2. I confess to having a bit of a combover for a few years. I hated it. I ditched it when a new girlfriend (now my wife :) ) convinced me to go to the barber and get a normal bald guy’s haircut. I’ve been happy with my ‘hair’ ever since. The wisdom I share with those losing their hair: Going bald is far worse than being bald, so just embrace it. Once you’re bald and don’t try to hide it, you don’t think about it anymore. Hygiene is easy and I found a barber who gives a bald guy discount!

• Jim says:

Not being bald myself I speak to this specifically but I think oftentimes we don’t like change when we don’t initiate it…

3. DMoney says:

That pic is awesome.

On topic,

I’m in my late 20s and It’s always jarring to see old friends going bald. It seems kind of early? But maybe I’ve just never paid much attention to the progression of baldness.

4. admiral58 says:

I would shave it off, unless I could get rogaine to work. Fortunately for me, I won’t have to deal with that.

5. Shirley says:

IMHO, bald men are very attractive. My husband is bald on top and all three of our grandsons in their twenties have shaved their heads at one time or another.

6. govenar says:

You left out another option: do nothing.

7. Norman says:

I started going bald in my early 20s. It really sucked. People thought I looked 10 years older than I was. I never did a comb-over, I started having my hair cut short from the start of losing it. Now that I am 54, I shave my head every other day and people think I am 10 years younger than I am! I agree with you, I would say I have a bit more confidence since shaving my head.

8. Jim M says:

not bald but it is one of my fears. Ah vanity…

9. daenyll says:

i think it’s much better when a guy just goes with it and embraces nature

10. {sigh} Or stop feeling self-conscious about it. When I was a young thing, I thought bald(ing) men were handsome and manly-looking.

On the “dominant” bit, because of various movies and also because skinheads, renowned as dangerous thugs, shave their heads, we probably think of a man with a really shiny noggin as potentially aggressive.

On the other hand, think of the young Yul Brynner…too, too gorgeous!

One thing to be said about shaving: no one can see your gray hair. Well. Unless you wear a beard. :-D

11. Haha, I’m not going bald yet but I’m 6 months away from my 30th birthday and beginning to notice a small representation of gray hairs appearing on my head. It doesn’t bother me and I anticipate not being much phased by my eventual balding either – after all, I tend to keep my hair trimmed very short (less than 1 inch) anyway, so bald for me would not be as big a change as for those who prefer their hair longer.

12. AndraMMM says:

I think many men who shave their heads are making a mistake. Few really look great totally bald — especially my cousin. I think that simply keeping the remaining hair short and well groomed and the bald spot well tanned can look really nice even though some consider it unfashionable. Fashion-smashion . . .

13. Lraetoo says:

An idea for a sequel to this article would be for Melissa to address women who are balding naturally. It’s rarely adressed or acknowledged. Especially by women. But I think comb-overs are not an option for the ladies. Any thoughts?

14. zach walker says:

Shave your head bald its natural and doesn’t cost you unless your out of razors and shaving cream. The light will glisten off your head. Don’t sweat it bald headed.