Credit
comments

Ban Credit Checks for Job Applications

Weathered Help Wanted SignChris at The Consumerist referenced a story this week about how there are 16 states, including here in Maryland, considering a ban on using credit scores to make hiring decisions. Iv’e never personally experienced this or heard of a friend get denied a job because of their credit score, but this happens enough to warrant 16 states barring the practice.

If someone wants to hire you because they believe you are the best candidate for the job, they will. If they are iffy about it, then they might use the result of a credit check to help them make a decision even though job performance and credit score are not related. I also agree with Reznik’s quote that “People lose their jobs, that naturally precipitates them getting behind on bills, their credit scores go down, they are trying to find a job to pay off the bills, and employers won’t hire them because of their credit score.” It’s a vicious catch-22.

As an aside, I also like the idea of banning credit checks for job applications because credit scores have become a bit of a joke. Credit scores lose some of their predictive value when they become known because people can game the system. They start behaving differently because they know how things will affect their score so the predictive value of that score goes down.

But, until they pass a law, it’s another reason why you need to review your credit report annually and if you’re itching to know your score, I use Credit Karma (it’s a free TransUnion score, no trial BS, 100% free).

(Photo: dcvision2006)

107 Responses to “Ban Credit Checks for Job Applications”

1. Kyle C. says:

Another reason a company will pull credit is to determine the debt load of a potential employee. If you are hiring for a high security job you don’t want an employee who could be easily bought or leveraged because of a high debt load.

• Just because someone may have a lot of debt doesn’t automatic make them a criminal. They may lack judgement in their personal life or they or a family member may have a chronic illness, but having debt doesn’t mean that person is looking to rob you blind.

• That’s right, but they are more vulnerable than someone with a lower debt load. That’s not anything negative in their moral fiber, it’s just a product of the circumstances. Whether they are strong enough to overcome the vulnerability is a different issue … but someone on more solid footing doesn’t even have to fight that battle.

• saladdin says:

It’s about being in a position of having debt so that your actions can be swayed by someone offering you money.

Credit checks in the military are routine for this reason.

saladdin

• Jacquelyn says:

And yet many who leave the military will be unemployable after putting their life on the line for this country and because they dont have good enough credit. What a slap in the face to very vet out there. Where is the freedom in that?

• almost homeless says:

I dont know how many times,I read about rich people stealing.The bottom line if a person wants to steal they will rich or poor, so credit checks dont mean a thing.This is the trouble with this country they have no cares,everybody is for their self.So you mean to tell me a person has to live the rest of their lives without a job because they have bad credit.They cant clear up credit without a job.This Country steals all the time.Stop judging people on credit and judge people on who they are and what they can do.

• Jacquelyn says:

Your so right!Lets not forget Berney Madoff among others had sterling credit as they robbed people of their entire life savings. If someone has a bad credit report it could be a bill got paid late 6 years ago! Stealing from your employer will not change that where people who are obsessed with KEEPING their 800+score may do anything to keep it and that is the reality.

• Jacquelyn says:

Trans Union, which sells credit reports to employers, testified at the Oregon Senate hearing for Bill SB1045 in Jan. 2010, which would outlaw credit checks in the workplace. Trans Union’s Council admitted to the senators there, quote: “At this point we don’t have any research to show any statistical correlation between what’s in somebody’s credit report and their job performance or their likelihood to commit fraud.” Now if the people making money off of selling these reports admit companies are wasting money on these reports then the big question is What would any company waste one red cent on a worthless expense that does nothing to improve your business.

• Jacquelyn says:

Kyle like I said before. If you have a bad credit report it could have been from a 10.00 min due on your J.C Penny bill 6 years ago. Stealing from your company today will do NOTHING to change that derogatory info and it will follow you until it drops off in seven years. The REAL threat comes from someone who has a score of 800+ and really is willing to do anything to keep it that way.Steal money today, pay that bill on time + keeping your sterling score.Do you know there are t-shirts that state people’s high credit score? They are so impressed with themselves they are willing to broadcast it like it is the best achievement they ever made in their lives. But the real reason it does not work is because the bureaus themselves says it does not work.

• Phil Jones says:

If they do a criminal background check and reference check and see that the person has never stolen or compromised themselves and can explain their credit history they should still be hired

• almost homeless says:

I agree with you 100 per cent.I know someone who worked as a temp two years on the job.They told her she was a great employee,but because her credit is bad,they may not hire her permanet..but she was good enough to work as a temp with bad credit.

• Ashleigh says:

Perhaps for uber high security jobs, but most jobs do NOT fall into that category, and yet most non-high security jobs seek out your credit… Does it ever occur to anyone that someone’s credit may be less than sterling because they NEED A JOB???? Hard to pay everything on time 100% of the time, if you have no job and no income… I find the entire practice boorish! Thank goodness I’m a Licensed Psychotherapist with my own private practice and don’t have to go through such an invasion of privacy, but I have plenty of stressed out clients who feel their credit info is irrelevant to how good a job they’d do for an employer… And with a steady job and the steady income a job would provide, that would surely improve their credit score, too! So I say BAN this barbaric invasive practice for all, with possibly the exception of just the highest of security positions…

2. Shirley says:

I feel that using credit scores to make hiring decisions is an unethical and unnecessary invasion of privacy. I also agree that it could often tell the wrong story.

• Dirac says:

It is really not an invasion of your privacy unless they do not tell you. You do not have a right to any specific job. If you want to keep it private, don’t let them look and if they insist, look elsewhere for a job.

• Glenn Lasher says:

That’s very easy to say when you are gainfully and securely employed.

The one time I got laid off, I was only out of work for two months, but that was enough to reach a point where I got substantially less picky about the jobs I was applying for. I can only imagine what it must be like for the folks who now have been out of work for six, twelve, or eighteen months or more.

• Jacquelyn says:

You are not dealing with reality with this job market and limited opportunity. This is a invasion of privacy!

• Karriem Glaster says:

This would be so easy if there was an elsewhere to look..

• d.m.s.f. says:

They might as well be holding a gun to the applicant’s head. It’s a Hobson’s Choice…which means…no choice in today’s world of a failing economy. Sure…the employer WON’T mind at all if I refused permission. They will red flag me on the spot. Besides, they REQUIRE it as part of the screening process. They have the applicant over a barrel-period.
        As for looking for another job…well…it’s not exactly loaded-up with jobs right now…is it? Since most companies seem to require a credit check-THAT narrows the available job market even more.
        I agree with some of the other comments regarding the ‘perfect 800 score ‘ people. I would definitely be far more suspicious of them.No, we don’t have a right to a specific job-but-we have a right to reasonable privacy.

• almost homeless says:

You must have a job,so that’s
        easy for you to say.It is not that easy to just look for another job.If everybody take the time to care about someone else for a change,write a letter to your senator and congress to stop credit checks for jobs across the board.

3. I dislike the ideas of using credit scores to dictate something that doesn’t have to do with um….CREDIT!!!

Jobs, insurance, cable promotion eligibility and even rental acceptance is often based on credit and I don’t think its fair.

Not to mention the high percentage of reports (and therefore scores) that have errors.

Two days ago I discovered an 80 point difference among my 3 scores. One of them is reporting a medical bill that my insurance provider paid. So I need to clean that up, but in the mean time, the fact that it could impact my employment (not that I’m looking) is beyond frustrating.

• freeby50 says:

Using credit scores for rental acceptance is completely justified and VERY relevant. Paying rent is paying a bill, as a generalization people with a bad credit history have had problems paying bills. The only real way a landlord can screen tenants is based on financial data. Credit history is very relevant and useful financial data to screen tenants.

Obviously you should apply it with some common sense. Its not a pass/fail test with a minimum 750 FICO or something. 1-2 errors on a score shouldn’t disqualify a tenant.

• Evan says:

I am with Freeby50! How else would a landlord know whether you pay all your bills on time? Because you told him or her?

• Jacquelyn says:

And how are landlords to know about all the errors? 78% of all reports have errors and what does this mean every person in this country who had a score under 700 should be homeless? What about the people who have paid cash for everything their entire life? They have no credit score and pose less of a risk than anyone out there and yet they get penalized under this practice. Keep in mind this practice just satrted in the 1990′s and people have been renting apt’s for hundreds of years without it.

• almost homeless says:

Things happen bottom line,this do not mean you dont have common sense.People lost jobs,which led them to lose homes,now they have bad credit.There will be more crime then ever,because people cant get jobs because of bad credit.They need jobs to clean it up.Why cant people realize that.

4. zapeta says:

I think they should ban credit checks for employment applications. I don’t see what the relationship between your credit and your possible job performance would be. I really think its just another opportunity for a perspective employer to gather even more personal information about an employee simply because they can.

• echidnina says:

Yeah, it’s really not relevant to the process. And the credit score itself is so arbitrary! You have to play by their rules to get a “good” score.

• Glenn Lasher says:

It’s not arbitrary. What it is is irrelevant to anything but determining whether or not to lend you money or expect you to pay a bill. Therein lies the problem with using credit checks for job applications, or anything else other than extending credit.

• Jacquelyn says:

Contact your state Representative NOW because if people don’t call and say support HR3149 it will not pass. Go online and google HR3149 to read how this bill will outlaw this discriminatory practice.

5. Evan says:

I wonder how this sort of proposal would work when it is federally mandated like in the financial services industry (by FINRA)?

• Jacquelyn says:

It’s better than continuing to let big conglomerate corporations dictate weather we can get a job or not. Or if our kids will ever be able to grow up and realize their dream profession! Remember this practice has only been going on since 1997 and see how they have abused it in such a short period of time and it is keeping MILLIONS from a job this very day. HR3149 is not perfect but it is something and I wish the bill imposed 20,000 fines for every abuse of credit check in the workplace then employers would knock it off for sure.

6. I may have a contrarian view here – credit scores should not be used in the vast majority of situations to screen job candidates. For most jobs that data is entirely irrelevant. Pulling someones credit score costs time and money, which why it is hardly ever done in these irrelevant situations.

However, there are other situations where credit scores SHOULD be considered. I am mainly thinking of situations where employers need to rely on employee honesty when it comes to managing cash. Say you own a liquor store. You need someone to work as cashier. As long as they know you are watching them, things go well. But when the owner / supervisor is away for a few minutes, people sometimes sell goods and pocket the money themselves, or give freebies to their buddies etc. As a small business owner with a cash transaction business this is a truely MASSIVE problem (yes, I know better inventory tracking systems, cameras etc also help here, but they are too expensive, impractical for most small biz folks).

Here is where I see a credit score check coming in. A cashier with a strong credit score is probably less tempted by all that glorious cash going through their hands than someone with a really low credit score who is living paycheck to paycheck.

Same for a CFO or head accountant somewhere – tons of temptation, folks who have their act together are lower risk.

So I would say, fine ban use of credit scores in job applications but leave an exception for positions with a lot of financial temptation.

• Dave says:

I completely agree – I think pulling a credit score should depend on the job. I think most “blue collar” jobs wouldn’t require it, however, I would think most “white collar” jobs would.

If you are a being hired as a manager of a business, or a team, or whatever, I think that your credit score/history can provide your new company some insight into your handing of your own personal business. I don’t think it should completely eliminate a canidate, but as a hiring manager, why should I hire someone to manage my business if they can’t manage their own personal finances? I think its really hard to hire the right people based soley on resumes and interviews, so a company will try to get as much background info on you as they can to make sure they are hiring the right person.

I also think it is the responsibility of the prospective employee to make sure their credit history is accurate and if there are any discrepancies, get them corrected as quickly as possible. I think its a cop out to say that you didn’t get a job because of your credit history/score – make sure the info is right and make sure you take care of your personal finances and you won’t have this problem.

• I’m with Jake and Dave.

While many jobs certainly don’t warrant a credit check, banning them across the board wouldn’t make sense either. There needs to be a compromise.

Who wants to hire a new financial manager if they can’t even pay their own bills on time? Not me!

• Jacquelyn says:

Or you can hire someone with sterling credit like Berney Madoff who robbed thousands of people of every last cent they had and Ken Lewis CEO of Endron who completely broke that company stealing it blind and he did it all with sterling credit. PLEASE inform your self. Credit reports are 78% error filled so says their own industry. How would you like to be denied a job due to inaccurate inf? And keep in mind credit checks in the workplace only started in 1997. What did companies do before that? Don’t be dooped by the propaganda that companies NEED this. Whats next? A cotton swab to the cheek to check your DNA for “qualifications”

• Glenn Lasher says:

I disagree. It doesn’t say I’m honest; it says I pay my bills. That’s a different matter entirely. Maybe some particular person has managed to pay their bills precisely by pocketing cash from the till?

…and what about a credit score says a clerk isn’t giving freebies to their buddies, exactly?

All it takes is for someone dishonest to realize that when they take out a loan or a credit card, they are, “being watched”. It doesn’t say a thing about what they do when they aren’t.

• Ron says:

The credit score is just one part of a multi-faceted picture. If it wasn’t worth it, no company would want to waste their time and money with checking credit scores.

• Jim says:

I agree that the score is just one part of the picture but I don’t think companies are as savvy as you think about quantifying value versus cost. Getting a credit score is very cheap to the point of it not really mattering if it was “worth it.” It just becomes a “if someone else is doing it, I might as well too.”

• Jacquelyn says:

They ARE wasting money on it because Univ. studies show no data what so ever it does anything at all and Trans Union, which sells credit reports to employers, testified at the Oregon Senate hearing for Bill SB1045 in Jan. 2010, which would outlaw credit checks in the workplace. Trans Union’s Council admitted to the senators there, quote: “At this point we don’t have any research to show any statistical correlation between what’s in somebody’s credit report and their job performance or their likelihood to commit fraud.” Now if the people making money off of selling these reports admit companies are wasting money on these reports then the big question is Why would any company waste one red cent on a worthless expense that does nothing to improve your business? Because they have been marketed into believing they need this but it is hoax. A Giant rip off.

• Mike Ramsey says:

“Maybe some particular person has managed to pay their bills precisely by pocketing cash from the till?”

Exactly what I was thinking.

I think there are some jobs where having a good credit score would be important, say for a financial planner. If they can’t keep their own credit score in good shape, they may not be qualified to help other people with their finances.

But in most cases, I don’t think it’s going to be a useful piece of data for the employer. I don’t think it can really help them predict how the employee is going to perform, or how trustworthy they’re going to be.

• Jacquelyn says:

You are right Glenn. Make sure they pass HR 3149 to stop this.

• Jacquelyn says:

I worked in the financial services industry for 12 years in one of the largest banks in the world and credit checks were required to be hired yet at least once every 3 month a fellow employee would be handcuffed and paraded through the building on their way out the door by law enforcement for everything from stealing confidential information such as credit card numbers, bank account numbers and embezzlement.
      Lets not forget that It is safe to say that Berney Madoff probably had a incredible credit score all the years he was robbing people of every last cent they had? Isn’t it safe to say that Ken Lewis, the CEO of Enron probably had a really high score as he ripped off all the investors and caused hundreds of employees with scores much lower than himself to be fired by his wrong doing? What if every Congress person, Senator and Governor was disqualified from the race because of credit scoring? I bet they’d pass this bill real quick to put a stop to this once and for all.
      But the real reason it doesnt work is this
      Trans Union, which sells credit reports to employers, testified at the Oregon Senate hearing for Bill SB1045 in Jan. 2010, which would outlaw credit checks in the workplace. Trans Union’s Council admitted to the senators there, quote: “At this point we don’t have any research to show any statistical correlation between what’s in somebody’s credit report and their job performance or their likelihood to commit fraud.” Now if the people making money off of selling these reports admit companies are wasting money on these reports then the big question is Why would any company waste one red cent on a worthless expense that does nothing to improve your business?.Because the three credit reporting agencies have marketed to businesses that they NEEDED this and they bought into it only to find it was a multi million dollar LIE!

• Jennene says:

That is unfair and untrue to say about anyone!!!!!! Your low credit score could be due to bad divorce or loss of job!!! How can you say because you have a low credit score I’m going to steal, if you look at it the other way people who are obsessed with keeping their credit perfect might just as well inclined to steal to pay the bills to keep it that way. That is pretty messed up to ANY job whether it be financial or not there are ALOT of honest people out there that lost their homes and have low credit scores that can’t get a financial jobs. I worked for one of the biggest, and lived paycheck to paycheck and wazs not tempted once to STEAL!@@

7. Klippies says:

Yes, use it for accounting people. You do not want people with a horrible history handling the companies money.

• Anonymous says:

I’m in HR. I have found that accounting and finance people are the worst when it comes to their personal finances. It does not translate to their skill, commitment and fiscal responsibilty in the workplace.

8. This is a tough issue. On one side, the company wants to hire a reputable person and depending on the position, someone who is responsible with money. On the other hand, performance on the job for most positions has nothing to do with your credit score. I’m not really sure which side to take…

• Jacquelyn says:

This practice is relatively, new only being in existence for a very short time, since 1997. How on Earth did companies operate before this? By hiring on qualifications, energy, personality and willingness to perform the job well NOT a score. Companies have been tricked into thinking they need this worthless overhead maximizer. With no proven results what so ever.

9. Greg says:

An additional reason is companies that use company issued credit cards for employee travel and expenses. It is not unusual in theses situations that an employee has to qualify with the credit card company as a term of employment.

10. CK says:

“What’s the logic behind credit checks? I’ve read everything from “a higher credit score means someone is more trustworthy” to “someone who has a higher credit score is more reliable,” but I doubt any company can substantiate that with hard data.”

Really you think they just pulled this out of thin air? It’s hard enough finding good people to hire, why would they shoot themselves in the foot by unnecessarily disqualifying people?

11. Ted says:

I had a credit check done before going to one company. It was a non-profit and I was responsible for some fundraising. I guess they thought it necessary.

I can see it for some companies or some types of jobs. But I do find a credit score to be highly personal. Its about that person story and what has happened in their life. It might reflect poorly on someone, and it might not.

12. freeby50 says:

My first inclination was to disagree on this. I had the same thought that a higher credit score will reflect someone who’s more conscientious and reliable and therefore more likely to be a better employee. But I did a quick Google search on the topic and found a study refuting a connection between high credit scores and job performance.

But there are exceptions. I think it makes a good sense to check a credit score for a job in a bank or gambling commission or law enforcement or something where a problem with money in your personal life could lead to issues in the workplace.

Theres also the situation where you have people who lack a credit score entirely cause they don’t use credit. And the data in credit reports from the credit bureaus is notoriously unreliable.

13. Ninja says:

I’ve never heard of companies basing their decisions off credit scores. Credit reports, yes. Credit scores no? Are you sure that the companies aren’t actually looking at the full credit report?

I think finances can become an important issue for reasons like Kyle mentioned. Is the person susceptible to financial pressures from outside sources.

I don’t think the credit report should be used as a black and white determining factor, but I have no beef with a company reviewing as one of many hiring decisions. If you don’t want them accessing your credit report don’t let ‘em. They can only do it if you consent.

• If I was doing the hiring, I’d be much more interested in the credit history than the credit score.

• Jacquelyn says:

Try saying No and see what happens to your application. What about the fact 78% of every credit report has errors? People are being denied the right to feed their family based on credit reporting agencies who get companies to pay for their error ridden products all for the all mighty dollar and at the expense of the millions of unemployed in America today.
      The worse thing is they do not work at all!
      Berney Madoff handled peoples life savings in the hundreds of millions everyday and ROBBED them all while having a perfect score himself.

14. Michele says:

It is a sad situation when a person’s character and work ethic is based on his/her creditworthiness….

I am wondering if Bernie Madoff has good credit? He managed to swindle millions from people.

• Jacquelyn says:

Berney had sterling credit and so did Ken Lewis CEO of Enron. What about all our wonderful political leaders?
      We are humans not numbers please call your congressman and make sure they hear HR3149 before they kill it off and then our country will be worse off than it is now.

15. billsnider says:

Try looking at this problem from the other side. What if it was your company? You not only want a good worker but someone who is reliable and can get along with the other employees.

I was once in that position and I hired some really super people and a lot of clunkers as well. It hurst when you get a clunker in more ways than one.

If you have nothing to hide, you should not find fault with this practice. In fact you would applaud your boss for getting someone who will help your company and ultimately your future.

Bill Snider

• Lamont Abernathy says:

A person can have bad credit for many reasons, including due to indentity theft. I googled myself and found some wrong information. What can I do? My point is, I think there is no freedom in this country. I can’t make a mistake or have misfortune because I may not be able to get a job based on such things. Little by little we are being controlled. It’s better to be an illegal alien. No one does back ground check on them and they always find jobs. Guess it’s not so great being American after all.

16. Cathy Green says:

You cannot judge character by a credit score so I hope this practice gets banned.

Character is judged by what a person does when you are not watching.

17. govenar says:

I agree that credit score probably doesn’t relate to job performance very much.

But, there needs to be some kind of penalty for people who purposely don’t pay their debts. If the only bad effect of not paying your mortgage is that you can’t get another mortgage in the next few years, people will decide they don’t care about their credit score and will just stop paying, which has bad effects on the whole economy and society. If they know that it will effect other things such as getting a job though, they might be more hesitant to default on their debts.

18. MarshallMiddle says:

I think using credit scores as part of the hiring process is a bunch of crap.

19. What was Bernie Madoff’s credit score?

“I tell you that virtue is not given by money, but that from virtue comes money and every other good of man, public as well as private.” ~ Socrates

• jsbrendog says:

haha, nicely done. would he be able to get a job with a credit check? maybe that’s why he cooked dup the ponzi

20. Anonymous says:

With all the foreclosures and short sales wouldn’t we be leaving too many people as unhirable?

21. I’ve applied for jobs that entailed no fiduciary responsibility and were unlikely to be vulnerable to bribery, and still had employers tell me they were going to do a credit check.

It’s reasonable to expect that a government employer who is considering you for a job requiring a secrecy classification might check your credit rating. And maybe it’s reasonable to check a person’s credit if she or he will be in a position to embezzle money…if you believe, truly, that a person’s credit rating somehow reflects his or her moral caliber, a specious proposition.

Otherwise, your credit rating is none of an employer’s business. In general, it should be against the law to run credit checks on people for no other reason than that they filled out an employment application.

22. Jane A says:

I dislike using credit scores as a criteria for employment, unless I suppose you are applying for a job in finance. If my bank decides to charge an annual fee on my cc’s which have the longest history, and highest balance, I will close them. That doesn’t make me any less trustworthy, but my credit score will definitely take a hit. Is that going to give another applicant a competitive edge? Also, what if I am one day debt free? Does having no credit cause me to appear irresponsible? I am not anti credit, but I won’t pay a fee for the privilege of doing business with cc’s. I rent so no mortgage payments. Eventually the students loans I have will be paid off. I guess I am concerned about how much of a factor credit scores will play in future employment.

23. Soccer9040 says:

I’m not a big fan of using scores to judge employment, atleast until I can have a good answer on what actually goes into my credit score. Too many people just dont understand the “magic formula” that is their credit score.

24. thomas says:

What about those who don’t have a credit score? Am I not going to get a job because I don’t have a credit card and debt?

As a business owner, I would want to know if I was hiring someone who could be a financial risk. How do I know they won’t steal information or product to pay their debts?

• Renee says:

Isn’t that what references and a criminal history background check should tell you? If a potential hire worked in a financial position in the past you could assume that if you asked that previous employer would rehire them and the answer is “no” that you don’t want that person working for you and move on to the next applicant. That’s time consuming but it’s part of running a business.

• Jacquelyn says:

The same way business owners have done it for thousands of years by paying attention and going with your gut. The same way everyone did it before 1997 when corporation lead businesses to believe they could not live without this. We got by before and we will get by when it is illegal to us.

25. eric says:

I agree…I don’t really see the benefit of using credit scores for employment.

• Strebkr says:

It really just depends on what kind of position you are applying for. I really don’t think the guy flipping burgers at McDonald’s needs a credit check.