Career
comments

Bargaineering Career Week 2009

Game of Life: It Sounded Easier Back Then!With unemployment over 10%, the pool of willing workers has never been bigger or more qualified. If you’re in that group, you’re probably wondering whether you’ll ever find a job. While I’m self employed now, I have been fired before and I know how much it sucks to have someone else tell you that you’re no longer needed. Over the next week, we’re going to cover four major areas of job hunting: career planning, resumes, finding opportunities, and nailing the interview.

If you look below, you’ll see a list of the posts that will make up Career Week. When the posts are published, I’ll make them active links, but I wanted to give you a sneak peek at what’s to come…

Monday: Career Planning

If you are without a job or just planning a change, the first step in that process is 100% mental.

• Rethink Your Career – Sometimes you have to find the silver lining the cloud. If you recently lost your job, maybe it’s a good time to rethink your career path.
  • Find A Job, Then A Career – When it comes right down to it, you may not have the luxury of finding the perfect “career” and have to settle for a “job” that pays the bills. That’s fine too, it’s about surviving first, thriving next.
  • Boost Morale & Fill Time by Volunteering – If you find yourself restless, a little down that the responses to your resume haven’t been as frequent, you could take this time to volunteer in your community. It’s time well spent and can re-energize you to help a cause you believe in.

Tuesday: Resume Reconstruction

Wednesday: On The Hunt

• How To Find A New Job – Another post that wasn’t originally part of Career Week 2009, this post establishes a good approach towards finding a new job. It sets up a good framework for finding leads.
  • Best Employment & Job Search Websites – There are too many websites and many are a waste of your time, I profile a handful that are worth the time it takes to submit your resume.
  • How to Properly Use Headhunters – This post details what to watch out for with the scammers and how to utilize the legitimate ones.

Thursday: Interview Room

Friday: Your Thoughts

We’ll round out the week with a special Career Week Your Take question where you can share your best career tips with the rest of the Bargaineering readers.

(Photo: sanspoof)

23 Responses to “Bargaineering Career Week 2009”

1. lostAnnfound says:

Great timing. I’d like to have a resume on file for myself and my husband would like to have one also, just in case. I think it would be good to have it handy in case an opportunity presented itself we’re not left rushing around to put something together.

2. daenyll says:

I like the lost your file kitty on the unposted links, and look forward to the actual posts.

3. Ohh sounds like a good week! :)

4. Good stuff Jim! I’m sure many folks will find this series useful!

Didn’t know you got fired from a job before. Was that the last job before you started the Bargaineering empire? I’d love to know whether that pumped you up!

5. Jim says:

Hahaha, no, I was fired from a job in high school where I worked the front desk/stand and telephone of a local chinese restaurant. They were opening up a new place about twenty minutes farther away and I didn’t really want to go there. :)

• daemondust says:

Fired, let go, downsized, etc… all mean the same thing, you’re out of the job, but have slight differences. ‘Fired’, at least to me, implies ill will towards the employee, while ‘let go’ and ‘downsized’ tend to mean that they ‘had no choice’ but to eliminate your position for reasons other than something the employee did, or did not do.

Other than being terminated for reasons like theft, I don’t think it counts until you’re out of college, in the ‘real world’.

6. Dude, that doesn’t count as being fired man! That’s just you being a teenager. :)

7. hoht says:

Looking forward to it :D

8. Hey Jim –

Looks like a good line-up!

I’m happy to see you’re including a piece about volunteering. It’s such a good way to do something productive with your time, stay engaged in your community, develop new skills and experience – and maybe even test out a new career field.

9. Carla says:

This is really good timing for me. I’ve been on disability since March and do plan on going back to work sometime in 2010. After having relocated out of the San Francisco Bay Area, I will need all the advice and information I can get.

10. javi says:

Perfect timing, I needed this.

11. Safeway_Sage says:

I just got a new job and it was all due to my networking efforts on LinkedIn.

I worked hard while i was still employed to develop a wide ranging network of contacts and was able to use it to find the new job that I start tomorrow.

Woot.

12. zapeta says:

I’m looking forward to all the information!

13. mga says:

Doh… nevermind. Delete this and my last reply. I should have read the entire article rather than jumping ahead to the links.

14. matk54 says:

I too am looking forward to this information!

15. BrianC says:

Great. I’m currently in the process of updating my resume. Looking forward to what you have to say.

16. pcallaghan says:

This is definitely a much needed article. I’ve strived to keep my network as large as possible and keep communication with my entire network. This paid of tremendously when I was laid off in March. A few quick phone calls allowed me to have a contract in hand 3 days later with no interview required. I can’t complain about that given being in a technical field as a computer/network engineer doesn’t always have such quick transactions.

This article though should help tremendously for me to aid my girlfriend in her search for a new job. Though she has a job, her manager doesn’t seem to quite get that she wants to move up. Shes repeatedly stated that she wants to move up and move higher in the company so that she can actually be challeneged. She has a college degree yet the manager placed her in a position that only requires a high school degree, then last week when a position opened up (which paid over $10k more and gave her more visibility from higher ups) she was not even thought of for the job. A week after her end of year review and her telling him she needed something more challenging. Yet I’ve just come to find out, most of what the job has for tasks, she already does, because the person who is in that position for one of her projects DOESN’T do any of the work. Sorry for the rant, this has had me fired up for awhile!

17. Chris says:

Sounds great… bring it on.

18. jsbrendog says:

this looks interesting. one thing it definitely does is make me want to go into the attic and find LIFE and play it. what a great game.

plus i should prob update my resume just cause..but…lazy….

19. James says:

perfect timing. this should help alot

20. dennis says:

I work with ex-offenders and help them find employment. I teach them how to find jobs considering their convictions. This looks like a good week for them to log on. I will tell them about this week.
    Thanks

21. Bill Wygal says:

Finally reading article about careers and hiring.
    Jim, the retail job applicant pool has never been worse. I can honestly say in my 30 years of retail I have never seen more people un willing to work or even show up for an appointment they scheduled…..
    This may only apply to retail jobs, but that is the area I am familiar with.