One of the ways that credit card issuers get you to use their financial products is by offering great promotions. The hope is that you will sign up for the card, and then the issuer can make money on interest and fees from you — or at least make money from the fees that they received every time you swipe the card to make a purchase.
Even though airline credit cards have ulterior motives for offering great promotions, the frequent flyer can still receive great perks from using these credit cards. If you travel frequently, you can use credit card miles promotions to supercharge your rewards and even earn free flights. Here are some great options when it comes airline credit card miles promotions:
Capital One Venture Rewards
The Capital One Venture Rewards credit card  makes the No Hassle airline rewards card I have look rather amateur. If you spend $1,000 in the first three months, you will get 25,000 bonus miles — equal to $250 in statement credit or travel rewards. All of your purchase bring two miles per dollar. You do have an annual fee of $59, though (it’s waived for the first year).
- Money® magazine’s “Best Rewards Card if you aim to rack up airline miles”
- 2 miles per dollar on every purchase, every day
- Earn 25,000 bonus miles, equal to $250 in travel
- Redeem your miles for ANY travel expense
- No limit on the miles you can earn and miles won’t expire
- Fly free on any airline, any time with no blackout dates
- No foreign transaction fees
- $0 intro annual fee— $59 after that
Continental Airlines OnePass Plus
JPMorgan Chase issues this Continental Airlines OnePass Plus , and you get a 25,000 mile bonus as soon as you make your first purchase — and that means you instantly have a round-trip ticket anywhere in the U.S. If you want to earn 10,000 bonus miles each year, you just need to spend $25,000 on your card (a snap if you use the card to pay most of your bills and expenses). You get one mile per dollar, and two miles when you purchase airline tickets from Continental. First bag checked is free when you have this card, and you receive limited passes to the Continental Presidents Club. The annual fee is $95, waived for the first year.
- Earn up to 40,000 bonus miles & first year free ($95 value)*
- Now with priority boarding privileges on Continental and United flights
- Check your first bag for free on Continental and United flights, up to a $50 value
- Visit the United Club with two complimentary passes every year, a $100 value
- Earn 2 miles for $1 spent on tickets purchased from Continental and United and 1 mile per $1 everywhere else
- Your miles don’t expire and there is no limit to the number of miles you can earn
There are some great miles promotions out there, and you can usually use the miles you accumulate for other rewards, including travel, merchandise and statement credit. If you travel frequently enough, the savings you receive from the miles you rack up might even offset the annual fee, making it worth it.