Career
comments

Best Employment & Job Search Websites

Job FairWhen it comes to finding a job, it’s a numbers game. As much as you turn the numbers to your advantage of tailoring your resume, writing a well-crafted cover letter, or only applying to the right jobs – the reality is that you need to pepper the job boards with resumes in the hopes that some of them stick. If you send out ten resumes and get one response, you’re doing pretty darn good. With the economy where it is and unemployment at 10%, it’s more likely that you’ll need to answers fifty job listings just to get one answer.

To counter this, you need to take advantage of the power of the Internet and the various job hunting and employment websites. They’ve been around for years and only the strong have survived, having been gobbled up by others, and I’ve looked through the bunch to try to select the best of the best. These are for the general job boards, not industry specific ones. If you are in a particular industry, try to find a job board (or use my first recommendation, SimplyHired) specific to that. For example, Dice.com is the #1 job board for tech and IT jobs.

This article is part of Bargaineering Career Week 2009, a week-long series focused on your career – how to find a job, how to tailor your resume, how to find the job opportunities and how to nail the interview. This article is the first article of day three – on the hunt for a new job.

SimplyHired

SimplyHired LogoSimplyHired is a job search engine that lets you search jobs on other websites, including directly with companies themselves. When I did a search on my local zip code, I found a lot of local job listings I wouldn’t expect to find on other job websites. For example, I saw a dozen listings from UPS, pulled from their company specific job boards. There were also PETCO jobs listings, pulled from their PETCO Jobs Portal. The downside is that you can’t post your resume for employers to search since the site is directed towards job seekers but it is by far the most comprehensive search engine.

Yahoo Hot Jobs

Yahoo HotJobs LogoHotJobs (now defunct) was originally founded in 1996 before they were acquired by Yahoo! in 2002. One of the oldest job search engines, it is still one of the most popular employment websites and now has a wealth of information available to job seekers. One of the best features of the site is that you can see how many times your resume has been viewed, which can give you a lot of insight into how much interest there is. If it’s been viewed a lot, you can use that as a sign that you need to work on your resume. The only downside is that it doesn’t have as many job listings as Monster.com and some other competitors.

Monster.com

Monster.com LogoMonster.com is one of the oldest job websites, having been founded in 1994 and a presence in about 50 countries throughout the world. According to the Monster.com job search, over 5,000 job listings are posted each day in a variety of fields including Aerospace and Defense, Banking, Clothing and Textiles, Computer/IT Services, Construction, and Education. Monster also powers the job boards of many popular newspapers, such as the New York Times.

Careerbuilder.com

Careerbuilder LogoCareerBuilder.com is owned by Gannett Co, Inc., Tribune Company, The McClatchy Compnay, and Microsoft. Careerbuilder claims to have over a million jobs in their database and it’s the engine that powers more than 9,000 websites and 140 newspapers. For example, the job board at the Baltimore Sun is powered by Careerbuilder (The Baltimore Sun is owned by the Tribune Company).

Craigslist

Craigslist isn’t your traditional job website, in the style of Monster or Careerbuilder, but if you’re looking for some part time or seasonal work, you can always look in your local city’s Craigslist website for leads. It’s a little hit or miss because companies aren’t charged, or charged a nominal fee, for job listings so you have to wade through all the scams to find genuine listings. Fortunately, you can look at the jobs very quickly and decide if it’s worth your time to continue looking. I would only recommend it as a last resort for some part time work.

With this list of four, five if you count Craigslist, you should have most of the major job boards covered. One unintended benefit of listing your resume on these boards is that you’ll be contacted by headhunters, who only get paid if you secure a job. Headhunters can be hit or miss, especially in this environment, but anytime you can get someone else working on you behalf, you should take advantage. More on headhunters in the next article in the series.

Do you have experience with any of these websites? Any hints, tips, or gotchas people should be aware of?

(Photo: argonne)

28 Responses to “Best Employment & Job Search Websites”

1. mikestreb says:

I have been using http://www.indeed.com. I think it works really well. They have some great tools.

• mikestreb says:

indeed.com also has a pretty cool salary tool. It is in the top left and gives you a general idea of the salaries for a job keyword in a location.

2. Adam says:

I think you should also add the Governments job site to the list (http://www.usajobs.gov). They have many different jobs in almost all the job categories. It’s how I landed mine!

• ssoh25 says:

For those interested in federal government jobs, I would recommend reading Federal Resume Guidebook by Kathryn Troutman. The information they are looking for in your resume is different than what you would put in a traditional resume and you also need to answer specific questions about your qualifications and experiences. I applied for a lot of federal government jobs before someone told me about this book. After reading it and following the tips, I applied for one job and I got it.

3. Kevin Cesarz says:

Don’t forget LinkedIn. The advanced search will narrow it to jobs in your area and it combines hiring manager contact info and company info, which is half the battle, eh?

4. Soccer9040 says:

I have a friend who works for Robert Half (Accounting and finance recruiting) They pay for some premium linked in tools. Its crazy how much access they have to your info. They can comb through profiles to find people they like, even if they arnt “friends” with you.

5. Can folks who’ve found jobs via these links comment on their success stories? I’m always a little skeptical about these sites, as it feels like one big volume churning game that takes advantage of the fears of the unemployed

Hence, pls post success stories to change my perceptions! thnx.

• Lark says:

I’ve received legitimate calls and emails about jobs because recruiters saw my resume on Monster, however I never looked into those opportunities because they had always seemed to appear at inconvenient times.

6. Mikestreb–good recommendation on Indeed.com.

They include jobs posted on Monster, CareerBuilder, local newspapers and various other sources. It’s like a one stop shop for the job seeker.

Also,it’s been highly recommended by career forums and agencies.

7. redivelli says:

For those who wonder, I can vouch for USAjobs. That is how my mother got her job.

As for myself I have had a few interviews through Monster, but that was due to a conference of theirs I went to more than the site I think.

Linked in is odd. Like Facebook for job searching. If my memory serves they have a resume critique as well. A real person actually reads through it. Not sure how good they are though. After looking at mine they only used my experience to draw conclusions instead of my certifications. Correct me if I am wrong, maybe I have the wrong site on my mind.

8. Martha says:

I have been contacted for jobs through Monster.com and CareerBuilder.com. As a person who was responsible for hiring, my HR dept would mainly go through headhunters to fulfill different job types.

9. Kevin says:

I’ve gotten my last 2 jobs off craigslist. Not even an interview from the others. Well except the head hunters on monster but those never pan out.

10. eric says:

Career Builder’s logo looks like Share Builder’s…

11. zapeta says:

I can vouch for USAJOBS but I’ve never used any of the others.

12. INDEED.COM – the google of job search…how is this not listed?

13. BrianC says:

SimplyHired looks excellent for local keyword searches. Thank you!

14. Gigwave says:

What? No Workopolis?

15. Genevieve says:

Indeed.com is one of the best. I also think Craig’s List is a great place to look for jobs but you have to exercise caution. If it sounds too good to be true then it probably is.

The best way to find a job is by networking. Tell everyone you know (your parents, your siblings, your relatives, your friends and their friends, your church members, your neighbors, etc.) that you’re looking for a job and what type of job you’re looking for.

Also, some advice on applying for jobs online: If you’ve applied for 75+ jobs and haven’t heard back from a single company then something is probably wrong. You may need to re-do your cover letter, resume, or the way you fill in those (terrible) online applications.

16. teresita says:

The employment ads on craigslist for my area (Savannah, GA) are nothing but spammers and scammers. There used to be legit job listings there, but no more!

17. SavingEverything says:

In certain cities of Craigslist, it has legit job ads; but handful from recruiters. In popular markets, such as NY, SanFran, Boston, and few others, the craiglist employment ads cost the poster ~$25 for a 7-14 day posting. As mentioned, INDEED. should’ve been reviewed and included in the body of text above! Dont forget industry-specific websites or associations; they have career listings.

18. Bill says:

Honestly, this is probably one of the worst lists I’ve seen online. C’mon, what about Indeed and other hourly sites like SnagAJob?

C’mon Jim, you’re a fan of putting an affiliate link in everyone of your post, why not posts those and add more money?

19. aua868s says:

http://www.vault.com is a wonderful site to do a research about companies…i also try to do a bit of a research about the person in linkedin.com and in http://www.google.com who is going to interview me (recruiters usually tell the names..at least in my case!)

• Shock says:

Glassdoor.com is also a great website to do company research. It has employee reviews (like product reviews) which give you a real world analysis of the company from insiders. It lists the salaries of each companies positions entered by the employees themselves. It also lists interview questions. You can get email newsletters with info about your company you’re working for.

20. R. says:

Indeed.com is excellent, although you have to know what you are looking for and structure your queries appropriately.

CAUTION: A drawback to posting resumes on these job boards is spam and scams. Use an alias account or just set up a new account solely for the purpose of job hunting.

Craigslist actually was the best resource for me (Chicago, IL). Not as much traffic as the main boards but for IT professionals there are some solid listings. From Craigslist, hands down received most responses and interviews. My current job was a listing on Craigslist for a company on Michigan Ave [Magnificent Mile].

• Genevieve says:

R.–

Is there a particular site that you would recommend for posting resumes? I’ve never posted my resume before but setting up a new account solely for the purpose of job hunting sounds like an excellent idea!

21. aua868s says:

my suggestion would be dice.com if you are looking for tech jobs…or monster.com for any job.

22. It absolutely was really helpful. thank you so much for writing it. I am going to share it with my friends. Thanks