Best Gasoline Cashback Credit Cards

Getting a good gas cashback credit card is the easiest way to save on gas, bar none. With gasoline prices increasing every single day, everyone is looking for ways to save on driving. Since you probably can’t sell your car and get one of these highest mileage cars, the next easiest thing is to get a credit card that gives you a little extra cashback on gasoline purchases (always try to get the best credit card for you). At the moment, besides specific gas station branded credit cards, I think the two best options out there is an American Express card and a Discover card.

The best option right now has to be the American Express Blue Cash Card because it offers up to 5% on everyday purchases, including at gas stations, supermarkets, and drugstores. General purchases have the opportunity to earn up to 1.5% cashback. It was named by Kiplinger’s Personal Finance as the “best cash-rebate card” and plenty of people look to it as the best card in their wallet.

Other salient details of the card are that there is no annual fee (I won’t recommend a card with an annual fee unless there is a compelling reason) and they have a 0% introductory APR on purchases for up to 12 months.

A close #2 is the card my wife and I use, the Discover┬« Open Road(SM) Card (which is no longer available). The Discover Open Road card is a consumer card, so you don’t have to play business owner, and it offers 2% cashback at any gas station and any restaurant. Whereas the AMEX card only gave you 5% on gas (and other business-like services), this one includes auto maintenance. This makes the AMEX card a much better card. However, one additional perk of Discover is that you can get anywhere from 5% to 20% cashback bonus when you redeem your cashback in the form of a gift card from one of their retail partners. I used to get double cashback when I sold stuff on eBay because I’d convert my cashback for gift cheques to various stores I frequented.

How could I forget the awesomeness that is the Costco TrueEarnings card? If you get the Costco TrueEarnings regular card you get 3% cashback on already cheap gas prices. You also get 3% back at restaurants and 1% back on everything else. The only downside is that there’s an “annual fee” in the sense that you have to be a Costco member ($50 annual membership).

Beyond that, you have a few cards that give gimmicky 12 month promotional cashback offers or are specific to a particular gas station company. I am never a fan of the limited time promotions unless the offer is especially juicy and I don’t want to be tied to a particular gas station, I like freedom.

What gasoline card do you use?

12 Responses to “Best Gasoline Cashback Credit Cards”

1. chug says:

Shell Citi, 5% rebate on Shell purchases. Only use it on gas

2. Joshua says:

I have this bad feeling if I were to get one of those cards, 2 years down the road I trade in my car for an electric car. Then, I basically won’t need those cards anymore.

3. jim says:

chug: I’m not a fan of cards of a specific company, I don’t want to be tied to buying gas there.

Joshua: If I could get an electric car, I’d totally do it.

4. alan says:

I have the discover open road card…just a disclaimer though, its 5% only for the first $100 spent on gas/auto each billing cycle. After that $100 its 1%… :(

the 0%apr is nice though

5. Jude says:

I don’t have this card yet, but Pentagon Federal Credit Union has a card with 5% cash back on gas, 2% on groceries, and 1.25% back on everything else automatically as a statement credit each month. Anyone is eligible to join the credit union, but for people not associated with the department of defense, you must pay a one time $20 fee. From what I have heard, however, the credit card and the CU’s other services are well worth that $20.

6. fred@opc says:

I use discover open road… as alan noted, it is limited to the first $100 per billing cycle, which at this point pays for about 1/3 – 1/4 of the gas we’re using each month.

One thing we didn’t think of was to get two open road cards, instead of making kim an authorized user on mine. The change would be worth $60 a year and probably take little time to complete.

7. Ceo Reom says:

Jim,

On your recommendation, I just applied for SimplyCash and was approved under 60 seconds. Almost exactly like a regular CC application besides the supposed “business” name and revenue questions.

Piece of cake. Yay cheaper gas! ;)

8. Joe Blow says:

SimplyCash shows only 3% savings on gas on the app now. They must have just changed it…

9. Jason says:

Chase Perfect Card: 6% on gas and 1% on everything else. $600/mo max on gas purchases.

10. Eugene Nunamaker says:

Shell Citi is the best. The Discover Card is very deceiving. You only get 5% on the first $100.00 of gas purchased for the month. After that it is only 1%. I spend $100.00 in about a week and a half.

11. Christopher Desmond says:

Jude, I agree. Penfed.org’s 5% gas rebate card is GREAT! No annual fee, no hassles (crappy website, though), and they automatically credit the 5% rebate to your monthly bill, so you receive the reward before you’ve even paid your monthly statement! That means you don’t have to run up $2000 or $2500 in purchases before you get your reward, and you don’t have to log in an click to get it. Anyway, I use that ONLY for gas, and Countywide VISA (also no annual fee) for all other purchases. Why? Because, by setting up a “SavingsLink” account with Countrywide, it doubles my 1% reward and thus deposits 2% directly into my SavingsLink account. And there’s no category limit like Penfed’s card or other cards. These are now the only two cards I use, except that Sam’s Club won’t take VISA so I just use a standard 1% reward Citi card for them.

12. mike says:

shell citi is no longer offered