Business
comments

Best Internet Fax to Email Options

I don’t use a fax machine much and we don’t own a fax machine at home, which might be surprising to know since I work from home all the time. In fact, we’re one of the growing number of homes where we don’t even have a landline phone – we rely strictly on our cell phones. This means that even with a fax machine, we wouldn’t be able to send or receive faxes.

Until now, we mitigated this by using the fax machine where my wife worked. Since she quit her job, we no longer have access to a convenient and free fax.

So what options do we have?

FedEx Office Print & Ship Center

Fedex Kinkos LogoSince I send and receive faxes very infrequently, I wanted to see what à la carte options there were. Kinko’s, now Fedex, seemed like the best bet so I called a local FedEx Office Print & Ship Center to find out their rates.

To send, they quoted me $2.49 for the first page, $1.49 for each additional page on long distance numbers. To receive, they quoted $1.49 for the first page and $0.99 for each additional page.

Internet Fax Services

With the a la carte baseline, I looked to some internet fax services to see how they compared. In general, they were subscriptions based with a sizable number of “free” faxes each month. If you exceeded the included number of send and receive fax pages, then you’d pay per page. With all of these services, you receive faxes through email and you send your documents online.

Here were some of the options I found:

Fax Zero

Fax ZeroFax Zero is an ad-supported free fax service that lets you send faxes for free. With their free fax package, you can send three pages max, twice a day as long as you’re OK with an advertisement on the cover page. They also have a pay version, $1.99 per fax with a maximum of 15 pages. I don’t know what kind of ads they run or the quality of the service.

MyFax

MyFax.com - Faxing Simplified. Anytime. Anywhere.MyFax has three levels of service, you can get a 30 day trial of their cheapest plan.

Here are their options:

• Best Value: $10 per month or $110 per year, send 100 pages, receive 200.
  • Most Popular: $20 per month, send 200 pages, receive 200.
  • Fax More: $40 per month, send 400 pages, receive 400.

eFax

Get a eFax Number - Faxes by EmaileFax is another popular Fax to Email service that is slightly more expensive than MyFax. They too offer a 30-day trial and they offer an impressive suite of tools.

Here are their service plans:

• eFax Plus: – $16.95 per month or $169.56 a year with a $10 setup fee, send 30 pages, receive 130.
  • eFax Pro: – $19.95 per month or $220.08 a year with a $19.95 setup fee, send 200 pages, receive 200.

Did we miss any options we should consider?

31 Responses to “Best Internet Fax to Email Options”

1. Mark Gavagan says:

This presents a good opportunity for an enterprising coffee shop owner with unlimited telephone service: free outgoing faxes to any US number.

Even if 1 out of 5 who use it buy anything, there’s goodwill and perhaps a few extra dollars per day.

2. Robert says:

OneSuite.com http://www.onesuite.com/products_OneSuiteFax.asp
    has an inexpensive fax to email option. To use it, you must have an account with them for long distance.

In the past I’ve used their long distance service, but not the fax. Still, it may be a low-cost option.

3. Jason says:

You can also try your local The UPS Store franchise. Mine charges 1 per page incoming as well as 1.25 local outgoing or 1.50 long distance and if you do 10+ pages its a 1.oo per page regardless where its going.

Plus since its a franchise then you are dealing with a local company where the money is likely to stay local.

4. Dedicated says:

Based on price and how you get your Internet, I’m guessing cable since you don’t have a phone line, it may be more cost effective to add a line to your Internet service. Comcast charges me $10 a month with unlimited calls and caller id and all the perks I don’t use.

Cheaper then then paying for a fax service and my guess is you negotiate the price down if you are a savvy saver.

5. Suzan says:

I have use http://www.ureach.com for years and have been very happy with their service. Their basic plan is $5.99/mth and goes up from there as you add services.

6. Richard Nicolls says:

In the past I have used a free fax service available from Efax to satisfactorily receive faxes via the internet. While I live in WA, my assigned fax address is in Cleveland or someplace, but the person sending the fax absorbs any costs of that. Note that one cannot send a fax with this service however. More recently I recently purchased a Brother MFC-3360C, a combination Fax, Scan, Copier machine from Costco for $54.09 including delivery which functions perfectly. When you figure it out, that comes out to about 50 fax copies received or transmitted in the comfort of your home plus the added convenience of a good copier and scanner. Can’t get much cheaper than that.

7. Jacob says:

I signed up for a free efax service a few years ago and I still use it occasionally for incoming faxes. I have an out of area code and it sends me incoming faxes as an email attachment. When I want to send a fax, I have a scanner so I scan the documents and send as an email attachment. Free = Good

8. Rick Morley says:

Personally, I think it’s unfortunate we still even use faxing. It is a very old and (in my opinion) horribly outdated technology. It is slow, and the quality is poor.

What’s wrong with simply emailing PDFs?

• Sasha says:

I deal with agencies that don’t have that technology on a weekly basis. For instance, when I applied for a position with the state of Indiana, I had to send some documents via fax because I could not get over to the building. I asked if I could scan the info and send it as a PDF attachment, but they did not have an e-mail addy that could accept that.

It is frustrating to me, which is why I think this type of technology would be excellent for me.

• Jim says:

Faxing is just really easy when you think about it. Stick document in tray, it calls, and the other party gets the document. When something works, why fix it? The quality is “good enough.”

• skylog says:

it works, no doubt….to a degree. we seem to be stuck in this middle ground here. half the people don’t have phone lines, fax machines…etc…while the other half don’t have the technology or ability to use a computer for the service.

i agree that fax machines are easy and work, but i am guessing many readers here would have zero problem simply e-mailing that .pdf.

• Lara says:

sometimes the document needs a signature, which I still dont understand why they cant accept a digital one but go figure.

9. Mark Gavagan says:

Dear Rick,

I will fax you my response to your comment.

Best,

-Mark

10. jmp says:

For sending: fax1.com

11. Scott says:

Lots of places seem to use faxing still because they consider it more secure than email. Not sure exactly how or why but it’s the case nonetheless.

• Dave says:

Fax is more secure because it is a simple point to point connection. It is far more likely that a malicious hacker would have access to your email than could tap your phone line.

12. Marco says:

Pactel service is also inexpensive
    $3.95 per month that sends it directly to email, unlimited receive. been using it for about 5 years now.
    I’ve refused to pay for outgoing, but they do offer a per sheet price…to send, I just hook up my machine to my internet phone (ooma), add a pause at the beginning of the number and have never had a problem sending low and high quality faxes. I’m the once every blue mood fax person as well.

13. I use pamfax for Skype. It works well but isn’t free. And you need Skype installed. Other than that, it’s inexpensive for worldwide faxing and convenient.

I have no idea why anyone would pay for a regular monthly fee for faxing, unless it were a bundle of stuff. But then I have no idea why people still fax at all.

Kenneth

14. freeby50 says:

I tested faxzero out of curiosity. The only ad on the cover page was the faxzero logo. It worked fine but sending the fax seemed a tad slow. Pretty good for free.

15. marc says:

I use http://www.faxaway.com to send and receive faxes. It costs $1/month to receive faxes.

16. eric says:

Just went to FedEx today to fax something….how timely.

17. Kristopher says:

When I’m staying at a hotel and need to print something I use faxzero.com to send my documents to the hotel front desk fax machine number. Works every time.

Kristopher

18. nickel says:

I bought a fax machine 4-5 years ago for around $30 at Staples. It sucks for incoming faxes, but I really only need to send. Works great, and no need for ongoing fees, etc.

19. AdamE says:

For those of you questioning why faxing is still useful, my answer is that when you need to send a large document, no way is easier. In fact, even when you only need to send a small document (this isn’t already on your computer), no way is easier. Sure you could scan it all in and convert it to PDF and then email it to the other person, but why do three steps when it only takes one? For example, I recently had to send ~75 pages of financial documents to a bank, and converting it to PDF would have been a pain. Instead, I just popped it all in the fax machine and hit “Send”. Sometimes older technologies still work the best. My only wish was that there was a method to verify that the entire fax was received properly by the other side.

• Rick says:

May suit your case, not mine.

I have to send a 5page document to 100+ people. what do I do? Eat, sleep, drink by the machine?

Electronic fax is the answer.

Cheers!

• Shirley says:

Couldn’t you include a request for that on your cover page?

“Please confirm complete and acceptable facsimile by initialing and returning this fax to sender.”

20. Eric says:

Jim, while scouting around for alternatives, I landed on http://www.gotfreefax.com/ …seems like it works exactly like faxzero but does NOT put any ads on your faxes. Supposedly their revenue comes from their website ads and premium services.

21. Shock says:

I’ve never had a need to receive a fax. I’ve used FaxZero with success to send.

22. John Gooch says:

I’m working overseas, so using a local phone line is not an option. To date I’ve been using Send2fax , but I’m sick of paying to send a few pages. FaxZero looks like a great deal.

A fax machine would not save me any time as I always scan my docs into PDF so they can go with me anywhere I have to be. My friends showed me the importance of this when their passports were stolen and one had a digital copy of his birth certificate and was able to go home after a few days of getting a replacement passport. The other didn’t have a copy and he was stuck in a foreign country for weeks waiting for someone back home to get a copy for him and send it electronically.

Lesson: digitize and encrypt everything that’s of any importance to you. :)

23. Ashleigh says:

Sfax is another great online fax service. It costs from as little as $24 a year and is HIPAA compliant and therefore completely secure:

24. Sun says:

Myfax has a $5 option now. Free toll number to receive. $0.10 to send per page. It costs me less than $10 these days.