General
comments

Brief History of American Chinese Food

American Chinese food is more American than it is Chinese… watch on and enjoy! (learn how John Wilkes Booth planned the assassination of Abraham Lincoln in a Wok & Roll restaurant)

The presenter is Jennifer 8 Lee and this video is just a brief presentation of the types of things she researched in The Fortune Cookie Chronicles: Adventures in the World of Chinese Food, a tome that chronicles Chinese food!

8 Responses to “Brief History of American Chinese Food”

1. Eric N. says:

I love this! And being Asian has nothing to do with it lol ;)

2. Matt SF says:

I knew you would find this talk!!!

3. You know I saw this on the TED website about a week ago. Very interesting stuff and a nice light-hearted presentation, too.

4. Sam says:

hehehehe..I love MCDonalds = microsoft and Chinese Food = Linux……

5. Mark says:

I visited China a few years ago expecting fantastic ‘Chinese Food’. I was badly disappointed, and by the time I got to Beijing, I was so desperate for something edible, I actually went to McDonald’s (something I had not done in the US for years).

6. Patrick says:

I love the Linux comparison too. You don’t really think about it too often, but Chinese restaurants across America are similar to the open source movement in software development.

7. Joe says:

Yes, it is clear to everyone:

= Chinese food in China HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH Chinese food in America.

I’ve been to China ten times over the past 18 years, and I can tell you without a doubt!

(PS, I prefer America’s Chinese food!)