Cars, Shopping
comments

Buying Cars on Ebay: eBay Protection Policies

Do not depend on the eBay Buyer Vehicle Protection Program. It’s not that I don’t believe eBay will protect you, they have a vested financial interest in doing so, it’s that there are a lot of variables and a lot of things that can go wrong. In fact, whenever you buy anything, the protection policies should never come into play because you should only enter into a transaction that you are 100% confident in. If there is a inkling of foul play, don’t buy the car. If the guy sounds funny or is not entirely forthcoming when you ask a question, don’t buy the car. If you’re on the fence about the vehicle, for whatever reason, do not buy the car.

Vehicle Purchase Protection
Ensures that you receive the vehicle you paid for, with coverage up to $20,000 against fraud or material misrepresentation.

That’s the guarantee that eBay provides, with a $100 deductible. But if you look closely, it only protects you if the seller commits fraud or misrepresents the vehicle. A lot of times, the listing will state “As-Is” and so that absolves the seller of any problems that he or she didn’t know about beforehand.

Let’s say you purchase a car and it has a huge scratch that the seller didn’t mention. Well, that’s something that the seller can’t pretend to not have known about. But what if the problem is a small leak in the coolant line that ruptures, causes your car to overheat, and you blow a head gasket? Well, that small leak isn’t something that the seller would necessarily know about, especially if the leak was small and grew over time. The repairs to your car would be in the thousands of dollars but you can’t hold the seller liable because he or she didn’t know.

So, bottom line, if you would buy the car without the protection program, buy the car. If you see a car that you would only buy if you had eBay’s protection program, skip it. Do yourself a favor and skip it. No money is worth the headaches that a potential “mysterious” problem would bring.

46 Responses to “Buying Cars on Ebay: eBay Protection Policies”

1. kristyf says:

ebay is a joke fraud galore and ebay protrects the fraud the sellers do on buyer why cause ebay gets there share is why.

2. Malu says:

Quick question here as well, would you trust the vehicle protection plan? Is it true that you would get 5 days to inspect the car and if you choose to keep it after those 5 days, you alert ebay to process the payment? I’m afraid of getting scammed

• Jim says:

I don’t trust the plan only because so many things can go wrong, you either believe the seller or you don’t.

3. Ada says:

I also have a question on buying a car from E-bay, how can I be sure that i can get the car after I pay? will they hold the payment until I receive the car?
    I found a 2007 Rav4 on one of the Auto Trader website for only $3300USD, the car looks great, but I don’t understand why he’s selling it at such a low price, so I send him an E-mail, and ask him if there was any major accident to the car, he said no, he’s selling the car because he moved to UK, and got a Job in there, and it’s not an easy thing to ship his car to the UK, so I asked him why he don’t sell it to the Car Dealership in his home town (his car is in US, and I’m in Canada) then he told me that it’s hard to sell a car to the dealership if he’s not there in person. so he choose to go through internet, he don’t even need me to pay for the shipping for the car, because his brother works at the DAS shipping company. He told me that he will not get the fund until I inform E-bay it’s OK to release money. But for a very good condition Rav4 for $3300, I think he can sell it in his home town, he don’t even have to worry about shipping it out to Canada, Don’t you think the deal is too good to be true? I’m so worry that it’s a scam, so I want to ask for more opinions.

• Susan says:

Hi Ada,

I have the same situation. This deal seems too good to be true. How do I go about approaching it? I am not comfortable with out of country sellers. I am in Canada right now. I saw this ad on auto trader and contacted the seller. The response I received was too similar to your situation:

First I want to thank you for question about the 2007 BMW X5. The car is in perfect condition, no damage, perfect shape and the mileage is 23,000. It has all the papers and document and I am also the owner.
      The price is CAD$16,400 including shipping to your address (only in Canada). The car is located in Canada but currently I am located in London, United Kingdom, because I just finished the divorce with my husband and i have moved here to my parents for a while. The transaction will be made only through eBay vehicle purchase protection program also the payment will be made through eBay and only after you will receive the car, I will receive the payment.

PS: If you are interested in buying it please provide me your FULL NAME and FULL ADDRESS & PHONE NUMBER so I can initiate the deal through eBay
      I will wait your answer (if you are interested to buy) very soon and i will also explain you all terms for this transaction.
      Also i am able to negotiate the price for a fast and quick transaction, If you are a serious buyer!

any advice??

• A. says:

hey Ada, there is correspondence between me and a guy who claims to be living in the UK who’s trying to sell his car as well.. he is selling his RAV4 for $8,900 he said he has to sell because he is relocating to UK so he is selling through ebay. sounds like a scam to me.

he also assured me it has no damages and finance on it even though he refuses to give me the chassis and engine number to check up on it because he is “overseas”. check your car’s background people! its the least you can do to see if they’re lying to you

4. marsh says:

i got a car on ebay and when i tryed to email them about the car no would email me back i don’t know what to do i hope i get the car

5. mg says:

hi susan,

in same situation. how did yours turn out?

6. Victoria says:

Hi.

I just wanted to let everyone know that scammers always use the, “I’m out of the country for work, I’m a sailor and don’t need the vehicle, After my divorced I moved back to Paris, this is my only option for selling the vehicle at a low price for a quick sale since I moved back to my country, and (my all time favorite) I just need to get rid of the car, you can have it free, just pay shipping.”

And they all ask to be paid through ebay. If it sounds too good to be true, then yes it is. Use your instincts people.

Don’t fall for this crap. Take your rear to a dealer or visit someone local that is selling and rid yourself of this stupidity.

7. Victoria says:

Hi.

I just wanted to let everyone know that scammers always use the, “I’m out of the country for work, I’m a sailor and don’t need the vehicle, After my divorce I moved back to Paris, this is my only option for selling the vehicle at a low price for a quick sale since I moved back to my country, and (my all time favorite) I just need to get rid of the car, you can have it free, just pay shipping.”

8. E says:

I will say that I have been buying vehicles, and other stuff, on Ebay for over 10 yrs. I’ve bought probably 25 vehicles, sight unseen on Ebay, including 3 over $50,000 and the 4 in my driveway right now. I think that they’ve all come from dealers. I’ve never had a single problem, until now. I bought one 2 weeks ago from a lady in GA. It appears to be a pile of junk. Doesn’t look like any value at all right now. I am looking for a way to threaten her for misrepresenting the vehicle, which she certainly did. Anyone with any advice??
    Thanks

9. Patricia Iden says:

Do not buy anything on E Bay unless you see it in person I just got took on a vehicle that did not even have tires and even had a mouse nest in it it was supposed to have a stereo system (pioneer) did not even have one just a few wires no mounted TV got 10 miles and had a flat paid $259.00 to have towed while owner stood there could not drive the 10 Hrs home had to find another way everything I have bought has been a flop pictures are deceivingI have to back and get it or let them sell it again I paid 1,525.00 I have it sold for 500.00 lucky me it is not even worth that and it was ready to go acrossed country JOKE

10. Eric says:

DO you guys think this is a scam
    The car is in perfect condition, no electric problems, no accidents/liens/loans. No scratches, never been repainted. I have all the car manuals, title,documents. I’m selling this car because my child of only 19 died 4 months ago in a car accident,a drunk driver hit him and his fiancee. He was with his fiance’s car coming to our home at his little brother birthday of 10 years old. The car belonged to my son and it brings me bad memories and that’s the reason I want to sell it. The last price is $2,125. Me and my husband travel a lot with our business and we want to make this deal through eBay’s Buyer Protection Program.I just need your full name,full shipping address, home/cell # so I can open a case.(with no further obligation or fees).eBay will contact you with all the Transaction/shipping details you will need.We will take care of the shipping so don’t worry.

11. jwt says:

be very careful buying cars on ebay check around local sales first. many sellers on ebay will post that they are not responsible for inaccuracies on desriptions- basically they can say anything and not be held accountable-as is means “as the car is”. ebay recommends having the vehicle inspected-yeah right- i live 180 miles away, or in another state.personally i think ebay ought to stop vehicle bidding!!!!!!!!

12. e says:

call these rotten bastards out…don’t trust them and call your local bureau of consumer affairs and report ebay for being complicit in criminal activity

13. e says:

if they don’t use correct English grammar and there name is Jennifer Welch for example, living in the UK but unable to write properly in English….ummm not likely

• jon says:

I just received an email from Jennifer Welch. She is living in the UK and wants to sell a car in Canada…

14. Anonymous says:

I want to purchase this car but scared 2800 for an 05 accord it looks nice… What u all think