Personal Finance
comments

BVC #11 – Drawing Your Cashflowchart [VIDEO]

I’m so glad that my video on financial network maps was so well received that I thought I’d share another one of the charts we use in our financial planning. It’s not a very complex idea and if you have five minutes you can hear me explain it on the whiteboard.

If this video looks familiar to you, it’s because I emailed all the newsletter subscribers an early release of the video. If you want to get to see the videos earlier than everyone else, consider subscribing to the newsletter! (You also get a copy of my eBook, 100 Easy Ways to Save Money!)

Name:
Email:

Again, like the financial network map, you get to decide what you want to put on this chart and how you want to put it on the chart. There’s no “right” answer, just the answer that’s right for you.

What are your thoughts on this chart?

9 Responses to “BVC #11 – Drawing Your Cashflowchart [VIDEO]”

1. Traciatim says:

LOL, that one is easy:

My Bank Account —-> Spouse —-> Stuff I don’t want.

2. I’m a big fan of charts. This was a great exercise – I just threw together a quick one using my mind map software.

One thing I love to do with these – since you’re already drawing a “picture” is to get a little creative and actually make little doodles for each branch, representing that money.

So for savings, I drew a little 3-D $ sign. For taxes, I drew IRS in red. It helps to quickly communicate what you’re looking at without reading the words.

3. Christy says:

Great concept – easy to understand. I am looking forward to drawing my own…..

I need to go back and watch the video for the Financial Network Map since I missed that one… is there a link?

Thanks,
    Christy

4. Paige says:

It is depressing when you can’t pay yourself first. :-(

5. MoneyEnergy says:

Nice video! I’m a visual person, so I can definitely appreciate the idea of seeing it all drawn out like this.

6. RazorBucks says:

Where dies it all go? Drafting a flow chart like this will tell you – and help you adjust closer to where you want to be.

Upcoming college graduates looking forward to the first paycheck: Take note of this flow chart!! Probably the hardest thing to do is for you to invest in retirement and to save for emergencies. Do it early.

7. thomas says:

I’m going to sneak my whiteboard from work out this week.

8. Croton says:

Great Post! It actually inspired me to build a quite similar thing for my startegy and in my german PF Blog. I adapted the basic idea but changed it a lot to show my general personal finance strategy and a bit to reflect a soccer formation. So you know which accounts are defense (Savings, Emergency Fund) and which are offense (Retirement (German eq. for 401k), taxable investment etc.). I like your Blog and try to transfer as much of your invaluable information to my drastically different european personal finance situation. – However, things like this flowchart are truly international!