Credit
comments

Called About PayPal Debit Card

I just received a call from PayPal (CSR was named Francis) about them wanting to send me a debit card and whether I had any questions about it. I told them I wasn’t interested, he thanked me for my time and said they’d cancel the card, and bid me good day. At first I thought it was a phishing attempt of some kind but the individual didn’t ask for any information at all.

A little digging and I saw that the number, 402 935 7733, is actually a verified Paypal number according to Paypalsucks.com, so it looks like it was legit.

Geeze, I thought it was annoying I had to click “SKIP MESSAGE” every freaking time I logged into Paypal (I’ve said no to the debit card about 230948203498230 times now), but now they call? Unebelievable.

9 Responses to “Called About PayPal Debit Card”

1. pcooper says:

Caller ID numbers are spoofable, so I wouldn’t trust that for authentication.

2. Paypal says:

Are you sure you don’t want that Paypal debit card? It’s a really great deal you know.

- Paypal

3. Nelson says:

Hi,

I want to thank you for making me laugh. PayPal, the company that is so load to handle your problems properly and doesn’t give out phone numbers, is actually calling people? LOL!

4. Marc Edwards says:

I have had a Paypal debit card since they introduced it.

I also took advantage of their cash back program. Today they pay 1% on credit card purchases [I am grandfathered in at 1 1/2%], if you sign up for that program – no cost.

You earn the cashback immediately at the time of purchase.

Only caveat is that it has to be a credit card purchase and not a debit, where a ‘PIN’ has been entered.

On a another note – my paypal balance is earning 5%+, paid monthly. Just have to sign up for it.

Since I do a lot of shopping on ebay, it was a nobrainer.

5. Rocketc says:

I can’t imagine using paypal that much. The interest that we make on unused balances is nice.

6. Steve says:

The average return on the PayPal fund is only 3% and you can lose money. Your much better off throwing it into a 5% savings account.

7. Rocketc says:

Thanks for the head’s up. i hadn’t left a lot of $ in there, yet, but i was planning to keep more.

8. Ray Kruger says:

Paypal has just introduced a new way to scam you out of some of your money. Here’s a recent email I received from Paypal.

“Many of you asked us to make tracking your PayPal Debit Card cash back simpler. You got it.
    Starting August 1, 2009, the cash back earned on your PayPal Debit Card transactions will be combined into a single deposit and paid monthly, rather than after each transaction, making your record keeping easier.
    Your cash back rate won’t change.”

What this means is that Paypal will now keep your cash back money and not release it till the end of the month. You are in fact making Paypal a interest free loan of your money till the end of the month. Now this only means a few dollars kept back per person till the end of the month but multiply that by the millions of people that use it and Paypal is holding back Millions of Dollars till the end of the month.