Personal Finance
comments

Can Money Buy Happiness?

For those of you who follow me on Twitter, you probably saw me mention earlier this week that I could lose days watching all the great videos on TED.com. That’s where I found the informative and entertaining video about Chinese American food and where I found this talk by Benjamin Wallace, a writer for plenty of entertaining magazines like GQ, Details, Food & Wine, etc. and recently published a book titled The Billionaire’s Vinegar: The Mystery of the World’s Most Expensive Bottle of Wine.

The video is that of Wallace talking about how he decided he’d seek out and try all the world’s most expensive things, from Kobe beef to ridiculously expensive golf clubs, from fancy olive oil to a $65,000 bed, and even the Veyron 16.4 ($1.5 million). Well worth the fifteen minutes. :)

Expensive doesn’t always mean better.

What are you thoughts on this?

13 Responses to “Can Money Buy Happiness?”

1. Replace the veyron with a Zonda, and yes money can buy happiness.

In truthiness though, of course it can’t. But money can buy you a heck of a lot of fun!

2. I agree, expensive does not always mean the best! And money cannot buy happiness. It is a state of mind and you can be happy no matter how poor you are. I feel like I was happier years ago when we were living below poverty level because I had my days and weeks entirely to myself – well, I wasn’t alone, I had my children, but my point is now I have to work and that cuts into the fun things I like to do.

• saladdin says:

Then go back to living in poverty. Why be less happy now when you know the answer to being happy?

Money can buy happiness. If not then why do blogs like this exist?

saladdin

3. tom says:

Depends how you use the money.

When I watched a video by John Chow and he was talking about his lifestyle.
    He specifically said that his success buys him more time, for things that matter, which in his case, it was his daughter.

Personally, it does go beyond that a bit, because it does buy you time to do things you really want. Such as traveling, writing, sports, philanthropy, etc.

4. over the hill says:

Money can’t buy happiness but it CAN buy your way out of despair.

5. MoneyNing says:

You probably slipped one of the most important question about money into the title “does money buy happiness”! :)

The feeling of happiness is produced between your ears, so if spending money creates that, then the answer is yes. Of course, not having money can produce the same thing.

So it’s really all just a personal question and especially one that changes over time (as your reference and standards change).

6. Chiko says:

While expensive isn’t always the better, quit often it is. As I learned in economics, price is determined by demand and supply, it’s expensive because there is a combination of high demand and low supply, People don’t value things that are not good, so for the simple fact that it’s expensive gives us an idea to it’s value. I understand that this is not true in all cases, but it’s true in most (and that’s all that really matters).

7. ZP says:

In my opinion buying a bottle of some liquid for such huge amount of money means that the buyer is out of his mind. That’s all about it.

8. What a great video and an interesting bunch of conclusions. Affordability relates to how much money you have available to you. How expensive something is relates to its price versus the price of a similar product. A $64,000 bed that gives you an excellent night’s sleep might well be worth it to Tom Cruise or lots of other high-income people. I can’t help but think a $30,000 a night hotel suite is only about the status. I especially liked the ending where researchers proved that brain activity was different if we though the item was more expensive. Pretty hard to overcome that one! Talk about fodder for marketers! Thanks for sharing the video.

9. Tom says:

Money can buy a feeling of safety.
    If you’re broke and living paycheque to paycheque, the constant worry can be damaging and frankly, not much fun.

10. carla says:

I agree with Tom. Not knowing how you’re going to pay for that $1,000/month medication, rent food, etc is not very fun. On the other hand, happiness largely comes from within regardless of your circumstances.

11. thomas says:

Expensive doesn’t always mean better – you are right about that. Does money buy happiness? It sure doesn’t suck.

12. Eric N. says: