Shopping, The Home
comments

Castle Windows: 9 Windows + 3 Sliding Doors = $7000

I got a heck of a deal from Castle Windows three weeks ago, I would be getting 9 windows (all standard sizes) and 3 sliding doors (standard sizes too) for a final price of $7000. The actual cost to me would be $6500 since I could take advantage of the $500 tax break afforded to folks who replace windows and doors to more energy efficient models. The windows aren’t super cheap garbage windows, they’re double hung acrylic, double paned and argon filled, windows with lifetime warranties that are transferable. They aren’t Anderson or Pella but they have self-reported ratings higher than those in many of the categories and so I’m pretty confident they are solid windows. Oh yeah, and the Better Business Bureau hasn’t had a single unresolved complaint in the last three years. (And I have a 6 month same as cash home improvement loan)

How did I get that deal? I got lucky. Extremely lucky. A similar quote from another local window company put the price of the job at closer to $10,000. In fact, the sales manager Bob called me up and, after asking a question about the color of the windows, he told me that they’d be losing money on the job… the salesman should’ve quoted closer to $10,000 than $7,000 but they’d still honor it. Could they have been blowing smoke up my butt? Perhaps, but they’d still honor it regardless so I don’t see a reason for them to make it up right? (If you plan on calling up Castle for a quote, let them know that Jim in Columbia, MD sent you!)

I was lucky because I ran into an inexperienced salesman who was new on the job. Did I recognize that and try to take advantage? No, I didn’t even really notice. I didn’t even employ any negotiation tactics except giving a brief silent treatment after he dropped the quote (to see if he’d drop the price) so I can’t even claim any cleverness on my part. Sometimes things fall into place and you get lucky… and when they do, you pull the trigger on the deal (it’s hard to spend $7,000 all at once!).

10 Responses to “Castle Windows: 9 Windows + 3 Sliding Doors = $7000”

1. Miller says:

I’m not a home owner, and no NOTHING about windows, but $7k is still a lot of money, no? I have no doubt you got a great deal (you always do), but I was wondering what the motivation for the new windows is? 7k is still 7k, right? Do you expect this to pay for itself eventually do to heating bills? Just curious…

2. King Asa says:

Maybe the windows have solar panels on them that store energy and put it back out to the grid, then they would actually be making you money. J/k, but yeah I assume they’ll be saving you on the electric bill?

3. jim says:

$7k is not much for that many windows and sliding doors, if you go to Home Depot then you’ll see a sliding door is a minimum of $1500 a piece. That being said, the motivation for replacing the windows is a combination of quality of life and energy savings.

1. $500 tax writeoff because if you replace windows and doors, you get 10% up to $500 (not a deduction, a straight credit).
    2. Two of my windows are cracked and clouded, nearly all of them don’t stay open on their own, most of them have bent frames, ripped screens, and are generally in a bad state. They were installed when the house was constructed, in the mid 1980s.
    3. My sliding doors no longer have screens, the frames are bent, and again in a state where they need to be repaired.

Basically, the windows are old, the doors are old and I should replace them as soon as possible so I can actually enjoy new windows as long as possible.

As for energy savings, that’s a guarantee since the frames won’t be bent, the insulation will be full, and the technology has improved since twenty years ago. That, however, was a secondary consideration to the fact that the windows were old, cracked, and really needed to be replaced.

4. john says:

Hello, I’m glad your happy, but I got 9 Simnton windows and 4 patio doors for $6157.00, that’s on more door than yours and they were 8 ft. doors, and a better window, since I have reserched castle and found, NO manufacturing plant in the United States. Someone told me That Napco makes there windows for them

5. jim says:

sounds like you got a good deal john, now stop being a pest

6. Ian says:

We just got windows from Castle. The deal was OK. The windows are nice, but they came to install them late in the day.. so when the job was done, you couldn’t really see how the job on the outside was done. We both leave the house when it is still dark, and get back when it is dark, so we had to wait till the weekend to see the finished product. Well, needless to say, we had to call to have them come back. The metal siding that was installed had gaps, tabs were not fitted inside the framing, they held them in place with gobs of silicone. The siding was cut from the sawz-all, and there was an excess of silicone. It didn’t look professional ! We called to get them to come back, and had to wait a week for that. took a half day off to be there when they were supposed to come back. An hour later, and a no show from them, I called, and found that they were not coming ! So now I am out 1/2 days pay, because they never called to cancel or re-schedule.. No managers would speak to us, just was told that the installer would come out to look, and fix the problem. We will see what happens when they do show up. Looks like all the silicone and metel on the outside will have to be removed and re-done to fix this.. I’ll re-post here on the outcome of this situation..
    Oh, and the way I look at it, they owe me a 1/2 days pay…..

7. Ian says:

Hello again, well, you might have guessed, but again, they didn’t show up… They were supposed to come back saturday between 1 and 2,, called to confirm the appointment saturday morning,, “Yes, tghey will be there” 1 o’clock, 2 oclock, 2:30, no-show,, called castle, just a phone answerer was there,, the “installation dept” went home for the day…
    Jeezz, these people are clueless,, so much for the so-called Garentee…. I will call again today to see if there is anyone of authority in the front building in Cherry hill..
    The old expression “Buyer Beware” comes to mind.. guess it’s time to get a lawyer..

8. Ed says:

Just had a lousy experience with a salesman from Castle,and,from some other reviews I read,it seems that the high pressure sales tactics that this particular person tried to use is common practice.We had the sales rep come out and he arrived at around 10am and was at our house for over 4 hours giving us a long lecture about their windows and how we NEEDED to buy Castle windows and NEEDED to do it immediately .We told him up front that we were just getting estimates to determine whether we could even afford to get new windows installed,but,he insisted that we not talk to anyone else and literally kept badgering my wife and I and making us very uncomfortable ,at,times we felt like we were having a gun put to our heads and being ordered to ” Buy these windows now or die!!!” I
    can’t think of any other way to put it.He was also kind of rude and even used foul language when he told us that we didn’t want to buy any other windows because everyone elses’windows are nothing but “pieces of sh*t,”I found that very unprofessional.

I understand that any company is out to get work to stay afloat,but, after dealing with several home improvement contractors over the years on various projects,this was the worst experience to date.

9. Ed says:

I forgot to mention that Castle goes under the name of Ohio Window Systems in my area,and,that is how we ended up in touch with them.

10. Roy says:

We signed up for a replacemnt sunroom in July work was done quickly and windows and sliding door are fine, problem is they never came back to put siding on the outside and made many excueses, we are now in sept. and still have black tar paper on outside, after Many calls we are still waiting! we paid them and held back some money, guess they don’t care! hope it’s resolved before snow flies!