Credit
comments

Change Your Credit Card Due Dates

This morning, I gave you five good reasons why you should go to paperless statements and I’m here to lay down another useful tip. Did you know that you can get the due date on your credit card statements changed just by asking politely? I don’t know how credit card companies pick a due date but it invariably never matches each other or your paycheck – now you can fix that with one phone call.

How To Change Your Due Date

Flip over your card, call the customer service number, and get yourself to a representative. Once you’re there and done verifying your identity, simply ask to adjust your payment due date. It’s that simple.

Each credit card will handle this different and some won’t let you change the date at all. I just got off the phone with a Citi representative and she was very helpful. She warned me that the due date floats within a 3 day window, so you you have to ask for a particular week (1st week, 2nd week, etc.), and it can take up to two billing cycles to take effect.

When it takes effect, it will make that billing cycle slightly longer. Money hackers will recognize that this gives you a slightly longer grace period for the billing cycle when your date changes, unfortunately that reprieve is short-lived.

This little tip might solve some temporary cashflow problems but if you’re in serious trouble, shuffling around the due dates won’t help.

Have you done this before? If you have experience with other issuers, please let me know!

(Photo: andresrueda)

38 Responses to “Change Your Credit Card Due Dates”

1. Scott says:

I believe Chase lets you change your billing (not due) date online.

2. Brandon says:

I think due date shuffling is more useful for a convenience factor. For example, I am paid biweekly and all of my credit card accounts except for one come from one paycheck. It would be more convenient if that other one came from the same paycheck.

• Andrew says:

If you’re paid biweekly as I am, you get your paychecks at radically different times each month (I get one every other Friday), so no credit card due date will coincide consistently with a payday. This is why I hate biweekly pay periods. Everyone’s obligations are based on the calendar month, so getting paid once or twice a month makes sense, but getting paid 2-1/12 times per month makes no sense at all. If you’re lucky enough to be paid every week (as some temps are), you’re never very far from a paycheck, so this problem is mitigated, but it never goes away.

3. ladytr0uble says:

I originally had all my credit cards due the same day so the paycheck in the middle of the month pays for housing and the paycheck at the end of the month pays for spending. I set up all the payments at the same time so there is no way I can forget to pay a card. I changed my methods a while back:

I now have 4 credit cards, with the statement cycle cut-off dates at one card per week. This allows me to maximize the amount of time I can float the money I set aside for my credit card payments. This, of course, only works when balances are paid in full each month. I also maximize my cashback bonuses by paying with credit cards whenever I can.

The teeny tiny bit of interest I earn from floating the money I intend to may the credit card companies with and the cash back rewards all add up to a nice tidy sum at the end of the year that can fund my holiday spending.

• Morgan says:

Yes! This is exactly what I do. The best advice I got was to pay attention to my statement closing dates, so that once I’m on a new statement period I use that card until the next one comes up. I always pay in full and keep my money in an online money market account to earn decent interest on it while it’s waiting to pay my bills.

• govenar says:

Interesting idea. I already use different cards based on which gives the highest rewards for the category of the thing I’m buying (5% for restaurants on one card, 3% for grocery on another, etc). So I think it’d get too complicated for me if I also switched cards based on where they are in the statement cycle.

4. DebtGoal says:

Changing credit card due dates is a useful move. But double-checking credit card payment due dates online is just as critical – especially when changing dates and thus modifying one’s past routine.

5. Money Beagle says:

I changed my card one time. I can’t recall the exact reason but it was more or less to do with balancing out my cash outlays more evenly throughout the month. If I recall correctly, they warned me that although they would change it, that I was stuck with that new date.

6. mapgirl says:

Ooh, glad you mentioned that not all cards will do this. I have changed my dates before because I got a monthly paycheck on the 1st of the month at one employer and moving my bills to be due early in the month made sure I didn’t run out by the end. :-) This is a really good tip for people who get paid once a month.

I remember that not all companies will do this, I just can’t remember which ones. Currently all my cards are clustered around the same cycle closing date, so even though the due dates are different, I pay as close to the closing date as I can to reduce my interest.

7. Great tip. Chase customers have a bit more flexibility and can even request the due date change online in their online account. Simply log-in, click on the Customer Service tab, look for the “Change bill due date” link, select the account you’re interested in changing.. and you’ll be able to specify the day of the month (1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc…) you want your bill to be due on. Shuffling due dates definitely won’t fix major cash flow problems as you’ve mentioned, but its definitely a major convenience factor when you don’t have to log-in different accounts everyday to pay the bill!

8. MoneyEnergy says:

Great tip – an easy way to make life easier for a lot of people. You could even change it to fall on an easy to remember day, and make sure all your credit card statement billing cycles align. I think I’ll probably call soon to do this myself.

9. Eric says:

I always, always do this and, concidentally, I just called Citi too Jim!

I get them arranged at the end of the month so that I can pay them off at the same time. It’s easier and more convenient. I’m surprised a lot of people don’t do this (maybe they just don’t know).

10. A major convenience for me has been to change due dates to match paychecks when i change jobs. Since different jobs have different schedules this works well. Also job changes let me change a due date for one card after i was told i could not change the date. After i said i changed jobs and get paid on a different date this was no longer a problem.

11. That’s a great idea! I hadn’t really thought about it.

I have a problem that a lot of my monthly bills are lopsided. I get paid semi-monthly and I have some bills that come in at the beginning of the month, and some that come in at the end.

I suppose that one could call to get other due dates changed, too (auto insurance, phone bill, etc.).

Paul

12. MLR says:

I did this to get the payment date more inline with my other credit card payment dates. But then I realized it didn’t matter as I had the money and paid in full, anyways.

It was a good thought while it lasted for me.

13. TStrump says:

Actually, I have done this before.
    My bill was always due before I got paid, so I asked if they would change it and they did!
    I got charged a bit of interest but it was worth it.

14. Jorge says:

This is a good tip as it help you remember to pay your bills on time as well. I have two credit cards and they used to have different billing dates. More often than I would like, I’d end up paying one of them late because I had too many other things going on and it was sitting in my “to do” pile.

I changed the dates to coincide with each other and it’s now much easier to remember and no late charges to boot!

15. Kate says:

Wow! I never even knew you could do this! I’m all about the paperless billing, but I guess I must be totally behind the times. Making a small change like this really can make all the difference, as they say in my new favorite book, The Power of Small. I’d argue that this is a prime example. Just as a reminder to anyone who decides to do this though, if you have automatic payments set up in your online banking, remember to update them.

16. JerryB says:

I had no problems with my Credit Card providers adjusting the due date for me. The only lender I had any problem with was my auto loan. Guess what got bumped to the top of my Debt Snowball?

Although it did take two phone calls after that to get them to apply the extra payments to the principle instead of “future payments”. Now they are gone and my next car will be financed from my car savings account.

17. Robin says:

I changed a billing date with my car loan company once. I was charged a fee to compensate for the extra days between the old and new billing cycles, which came to about about 7% of my monthly car note.

18. liz says:

I just tried to change my due date with HSBC! They were horrible. Not only will they not change the due date, there is also no grace period. So the fact that when I get paid doesn’t go with their due date make me either late every month or paying an extra $13 a month for a rush payment!!! FYI – NEVER GET A CREDIT CARD FROM HSBC!!! Stick with Citi, they are awesome!!!

19. Salvatore S. says:

This is very useful for cash management each month, to ensure that by a certain date you have enough money in your account to pay all your bills on the same date. Discover Card allows you to change the date online. I changed my AMEX card and Bank of America card via phone – all very easy to do.

20. Tolga M says:

I’ve also had problems with changing due dates with HSBC. The laughable part is they use the Credit Card Act of 2009 as justification, saying the bill prohibits them from ever changing a person’s due date. I’d laugh if it weren’t so frustrating. Probably just close the account.

• TD says:

HSBC mails their statements such that they are not received 21 days in advance of the due date (at least in my case). This month, there were only 16 days between receipt of bill and payment due date. HSBC claims the law prohibits them from changing the payment due date, ever at my request as cardholder. I have written challenging them to produce a copy of any legislation that leads them to this conclusion. I will be paying this off and not doing business with HSBC in the forseeable future. It does seem all the big banks resort to some underhanded trick to squeeze money from card holders, however.

21. GingerBread says:

HSBC, Woman Within, Victorias Secret, & Lane Bryant all do not allow due date cahnges. I was told its something thats set by zip code or so they say

22. KayeL says:

I aggree it’s less likely to forget a payment. Heres an off topic compliant however against citi, my sears mastercard issued by citi continues to send statements even after i signed up for paperless online statements only and even called twice! They did stop once for 2 months then they started again! Has anyone else had this issue with citi cards?

23. Oliver says:

“I don’t know how credit card companies pick a due date”

They use a method of random date generator. Constantly altering the length of their billing period to maximise penalties on customers for missed payments.

The law has been amended to make it illegal for them to change the billing dates of their own accord (finally). Of course they are using that against you.

24. TD says:

Since my earlier post, I have found that HSBC continues to insist that federal law will not permit them to change the due date even at a consumer’s written request. Nothing I can find in the law supports that. In the meantime, what HSBC does is mail their statements so that they arrive with less then 21 days to pay. They will not post payments as on-time if the payment is received by them in advance of the narrow billing cycle (usually about 15 days)they set. Then, they assess exorbitant late fees even if the payment was made in advance of the due date. They seem to insist it arrive in the narrow window between the date on the statement and the due date–often just about a two week period. Anything else is late to them and incurs a $39+ charge even if they had the payment before the due date. If you have an HSBC card, pay it off and never use it again.

If you are thinking about using credit via HSBC (including retailers such as Best Buy), don’t. Save up your cash, use another bank, do without. HSBC’s greed is not worth the headaches this megabank will cause you.

25. Beverly Acosta says:

I too have tried to get HSBC Best Buy to change my due date and Sherri (a supervisor) stated that due to the new law they can’t change it ever. I can’t see why. My Social Security was paid on the 4th Wednesday of the Month it is now 60 the 3rd of every month starting in August. The due date on Best Buy is the 2nd I can’t pay out until funds clear on the 4th. How can the government pass a bill like this? Or are the companies interpreting the law this way in order to ding us with late fees. I live on $1,139 a month and guess what that what I spend have $0 extra money at the end. Unless someone will offer me a job; at 71 I’m looking work, full or part time work. Who would have thought when I retired that I’d every have to work again? I am 30,000 feet above the earth without a parachute. Please someone must have the solution to the problem. Please advise Beverly Acosta Thank you and God Bless all who read my letter.