This promotion has ended early.
Chase is offering new checking account customers, specifically the Chase Total Checking Account, a $125 cash bonus  if they satisfy certain simple conditions. The conditions are simpler than the PNC Bank promotion I wrote about earlier this week (for Chase you don’t need to use their debit card) and it offers a little more money. If you’re looking for a new checking account, this is a healthy bonus to entice you to consider Chase.
Those conditions are:
- You must open a new Chase Total Checking account,
- Deposit $100 or more within 60 days,
- Have a direct deposit made within 60 days.
Ten days after the direct deposit, Chase will deposit the $125 bonus into your account and you can only receive one checking account related bonus per year. Finally, the account needs to be open for at least six months or the bonus will be deducted. Expect a 1099 next year for the bonus amount.
The account does have services fees that can be avoided. You can avoid the $12 fee ($10 in California, Oregon, and Washington) if you do one of the following:
- Have a monthly direct deposits of at least $500 into the account, or,
- Keep a daily balance of at least $1,500, or,
- Keep an average balance of at least $5,000 in aggregate across your qualifying Chase accounts.
You can apply online or print a coupon and apply in person.