Insurance
comments

Cheapest Cars to Insure

When you buy a car, the biggest number you see is the price. The sticker price, the invoice price, and the price you paid to get that car onto your driveway or into your garage. Savvier buyers also look at the total cost of ownership, which includes the price but also adds in the cost of driving, maintaining, and insuring the car.

The easiest way to determine the total cost of ownership on a car is to turn to online calculators, like this True Cost to Own calculator from Edmunds.

If you’re curious just from an insurance perspective, Forbes has published a list of the least and most expensive cars to insure according to data provided by Insure.com. They quoted rates for a 40-year-old male who commutes 12 miles to work with your fairly standard insurance limits. $300k/$100k injury limits, $50k property damage, and $500 deductibles on collision and comprehensive.

If you’re curious, the average premium in May 2009 was $1871. The average in October 2008 was $1982, so premiums were falling.

Cheapest Cars to Insure

1. Hyundai Santa Fe (SUV): $832
  2. Kia Sportage (SUV): $840
  3. Hyundai Entourage (Minivan): $848
  4. Kia Sedona (Minivan): $857
  5. Kia Rio5 (Passenger): $857
  6. Honda Odyssey (Minivan): $871
  7. Smart fortwo (Passenger): $881
  8. Saturn Vue (SUV): $911
  9. Mazda Tribute (SUV): $913
  10. Chrysler Town & Country (Minivan): $915

I skipped the most expensive cars to insure simply because people driving Dodge Vipers ($2446), Ford Shelby GT500s ($2186) and Nissan GT-Rs ($2533) probably don’t give a lick about the cost of insurance! Incidentally, the Nissan GT-R was the most expensive car to insure and four of the five most expensive cars were sports cars. The fifth was an SUV, the Mercedes-Benz G-Class, at $2088 a year.

Most and Least Expensive Cars to Insure [Forbes]

12 Responses to “Cheapest Cars to Insure”

1. Carrie says:

those numbers don’t seem like they can possibly be right to me. has the person these rates have been calculated for be at fault in multiple accidents or what? my insurance is a few hundred a year cheaper than even the cheapest on this list, even when my car was new and i was 22.

• superch665 says:

Keep in mind, in some states car insurance is extremely high. When I moved to Texas from Virginia, my insurance doubled, even with the removal of a driver and car from my previous policy. It was something like $2000 per year on a 10 year old Hyundai Excel. The car wasn’t even worth that! I asked my insurer about it, and he said the rates are so high here because there are so many bad and uninsured drivers (=high claims).

2. jim says:

That $1871 average does seem pretty high. But they are looking at $300k/$100k coverage and most states only require $50k/$25k limits. Plus its for a new car which would have higher than average value. These 2 things would make the quotes higher than what most of us pay. But $1871 still seems awfully high to me.

3. AJ says:

Thanks for this post. I just got a new policy. It is about $1100 for my car made by GM.

4. Adam says:

I actually just bought a Hyundai Santa Fe a few months ago. My limits are higher (500/250/250), though my deductible is $1000. My rate is $754 a year with Geico. So the rates don’t seem too out of line.

5. Scott says:

Rock on Mazda Tribute! :-)

For more info on drivers history of claims across the nation, check out the Allstate America’s Best Drivers Report:

Virginia has lots of improved drivers over the past several years with 5 of the top 10 most improved cities in the nation. Rumor reported by TV anchor was that DC came in last, but maybe that’s just us Virginians drinking some haterade.

6. Dedicated says:

I’m glad others questioned the numbers. They seem off to me too. I have full coverage on a Grand Prix for $165 every 6 months ($330 annual). If memory serves correctly, that is a decrease from when I purchased the car, when it was $180 every 6 months.

7. Deb says:

I live in Philadelphia- where rates are sky high. I pay considerably more than the listed rates, with a clean driving record, multi-car discoutns…My car insurance premium this year, for 3 cars (one with only liability), and 3 drivers (1 is a teen- with good grades and having taken drivers ed) is $10,100.

8. Adam says:

I can’t believe that you pay over $10k a year! Is that just a function of Philadelphia or could/should you shop the rate and find something better? I’m just having a hard time fathoming that price.

9. eric says:

Cheap? Hmm. O_O

10. Interesting post– look like cars that are inexpensive to purchase and repair. Not so much cars driven by “safer” drivers.

11. Deb says:

Well, since the 10K renewal came in I did shop around. Most companies were in the $9500 range, but GEICO came in at $5800. Still outrageous, but a whole lot less.