Taxes
comments

How to Check Your Tax Return Status

Last year, the average tax refund was over three thousand dollars. Since the tax brackets were extended an additional two year and many of the same deductions and credits along with it, we have every reason to believe that people will still be getting sizable refund checks (let’s be honest, despite all the “adjust your withholding” articles, very few people optimize this for fear of messing up).

So, if you’ve filed your return already and are anxious to get that check (or even better, see the direct deposit hit your account), the IRS has provided a few ways for you to check your tax refund. The easiest way is to go to the IRS website and use their Where’s My Refund tool. You’ll need your social security number, your filing status, the exact whole dollar amount of your refund, as calculated when you prepared your return. You’ll also need to give them 72 hours after the IRS acknowledges the receipt of your return and, if you filed a paper return, you’ll need to extend that to three to four weeks.

If you’re an iPhone app addict, you can always download the IRS2Go which puts the same functionality in a nice iPhone application. I think it’s better to use the IRS website directly, since the app doesn’t seem to have much more utility beyond checking your return, but it’s ultimately a matter of personal preference (neither is more or less secure).

8 Responses to “How to Check Your Tax Return Status”

1. camu says:

I already got mine 2 weeks ago :)

• skylog says:

agreed. i intended to check mine, but to be honest, they were so quick this year, i did not even get to it.

2. Shirley says:

I didn’t have a chance to check our refund this year. It was deposited six days after I eFiled. Nice!

3. Strebkr says:

Its nice to know when to expect your refund.

• Shirley says:

LOL… and even nicer to know how much it will be! That means you are finished for one more year.

• Strebkr says:

Sad to say, but I havn’t done mine yet. I made the decision to start in March. Not because I am lazy, but because I am too busy with work stuff in Jan and Feb.

You better believe I’ll be tracking my refund once I file.

4. roy johnson says:

when i get my taxreturn

5. Mark Krueger says:

I owed the state of Illinois money. I sent the check on April 6. It’s never been cashed yet…..what do I do or whom do I call?