Credit
comments

Citi Holiday Student Bonus Cashback Promotion

This offer has expired.

Citi is running a college student holiday promotion from now until January 15th, 2010, on their Citi mtvU Platinum Select and Citi Forward credit cards. From until January 15th, new cardmembers who are college students who apply and are approved for the cards have the chance to earn 3,600 bonus points for paying their bill on-time and for staying under the credit limit for three months. Normally credit cards will give you rewards for spending aX dollars within three months, Citi is doing something more responsible – rewards based on timely payment and responsible borrowing.

Citi mtvU Platinum Select

The Citi mtvU card, which is one of the cards in my wallet today, has a special offer where they will give you 1,200 bonus points in each of the first three billing periods your account is open if you pay on time and stay under your credit limit.

In addition to the bonus points, you get all the things I’ve come to love about this card. You can earn up to 2,000 points twice a year for having good grades (if you’re still in school), 25 points each statement cycle when you pay on time and stay under your credit limit, plus 5% reward points on dining, books, music and movies with 1% on everything else.

Citi Forward

Citi Forward(SM) CrdOn the Citi Forward card, you can also earn 1,200 bonus points on each of the first 3 billing periods when you pay on time and stay under the credit line. You can also earn an additional 8,500 bonus points when you make $250 in purchases and sign up for Paperless Statements within three months.

Then, there’s 100 points each billing period you pay on time and stay under the limit plus 5% reward points on dining, books, music, and movies with 1% on everything else. Finally, there’s the standard 0.25% purchase APR reduction if, for three months at a time, you make a purchase, then on-time payments, and stay under your limit (max of 2%).

As for the value of the reward points, I did a review of the Citi ThankYou Rewards Network to see how it stacked up against similarly setup catalogs.

17 Responses to “Citi Holiday Student Bonus Cashback Promotion”

1. daenyll says:

nice to see some of the companies wise up and promote responsible credit use

2. saladdin says:

So we are so screwed up that a company has to reward us for actually PAYING ON TIME.

I can’t be the only one who sees the irony in this.

saladdin

• daenyll says:

too true, but they’ve finally realized that pissing off the good customers who actually consistently pay on time by raising rates and fees, and lowering limits to where they go elsewhere leaves them with more bad/default customers and costs them more money in the long run than just keeping the good customers happy

• Jim says:

People who pay on time still generate profits when they use their cards, since issuers and processors earn a % on processing. People who don’t pay… well, companies send those to collections and get pennies on the dollar.

3. hoht says:

agreed saladdin

4. mylindaelliott says:

At least it is a start to getting college age students on the right track from the beginning. It is also a reward for doing what we are supposed to opposed to what might make them money! It will be interesting to see what other credit card companies follow suit.

5. Imani says:

If it sounds too good to be true, there is probably a catch working in favor of the CC company.

Personally, I don’t think students, whose primary job is to study and get good grades and not worry about CC debt, should have credit cards.

For my sons, a bank account with a debit card did the trick. No money, no spending. Helped to teach them the value of a dollar and how to budget.

6. Ingenious ensnarement of new college student customers. Reward points for good school grades. Whatever brings them new customers, right?

John DeFlumeri Jr

• Imani says:

Both my sons got reward points for good grades…I called it paying tuition and room and board. They were on their own for spending money.

Anyway, agreed these types of offers are ensnarements! Students BEWARE!

7. aua868s says:

one thing which has always impressed me about Citi Forward–reducing the APR for being responsible…thats nice.

8. eric says:

Too bad I have the card already…

9. javi says:

I wish I had the mtvU card when I was in school. I would have really earned the points.

10. redivelli says:

I have the Forward card already unfortunately. Best deal around with nearly 4% cash back if you use them to repay student loans. The extra 3600 points would have been nice though…..

Don’t you get 5000 points for signing up for paperless statements?

11. Marcie says:

both of these cards sound awesome. does the point system have a good structure or is it one of those systems where you rack up all these points, just to find out that you can only cash them in for a $5 amazon.com gc?

12. jsbrendog says:

wow. this is great! there has to be an evil credit card companies are bastards catch…..

does this apply to grad students too or just undergrad?

13. CR says:

I’m a college student with a Citi Forward card — it’s great for buying textbooks (5% of $$$ really adds up), which is mainly what I use it for. Yes, they are encouraging us to get credit cards young, but with sign-up bonuses I was able to get an $100 gift card at a place I would have gone shopping anyway.

$4,000 credit limit is a lot, but hey, no one’s forcing me to make purchases, run up a balance, etc. If you can apply for a card, it’s your responsibility to use it as you wish or face the consequences.

All of the people at Citi have been super-nice in answering my questions, too… much better than my bank.