Credit
comments

Citi ThankYou Premier Card: 20,000 Bonus Thank You Points

Citi ThankYou(SM) PremierUnfortunately, this offer has ended.

Back during the housing boom, credit cards often offered ridiculous promotions to get you to start using their credit cards. There was a constant battle for “share of wallet,” basically trying to get a piece of your spending each month. 20,000 points just for signing up for a card was almost the norm.

These days, like with bank deals, companies are becoming savvier. Instead of offering 20,000 just for signing up and making a nominal purchase, these rich point promotions are only available if you spend a certain amount over a period of time. The idea behind this is to make the card stickier. It is, however, still a great way to earn some free points for very little extra work.

The latest offer is from Citi and their Citi ThankYou Premier card:

• $200 gift card – Redeem 20,000 bonus ThankYou® Points after $1,000 in purchases within 3 months of account opening
  • 1 ThankYou point for every dollar you spend on purchases
  • Earn points for the miles you fly when you purchase a ticket with your Citi ThankYou Premier Card.
  • No foreign transaction fees on purchases*
  • Annual complimentary domestic companion ticket and a 15% discount on all air travel when booked through our travel benefits provider, Spirit Incentives
  • No points cap and no expiration of points

As is the case with any credit card application, you will take a small credit score hit for the application so keep that in mind if you intend to make any loan applications.

9 Responses to “Citi ThankYou Premier Card: 20,000 Bonus Thank You Points”

1. Evelyn says:

This card has a hefty $125 annual fee.

• skylog says:

even though it is waived for the first 12 months…that is enough to keep me away.

• David M says:

I say take the money and cancel after the year – no fee paid and $200 received.

As I stated I got an offer of 50,000 points and no fee for 1 year.

I think the application time and cancelling time is about 15 minuts – thus I’m making about $2,000 an hour for my time.

The ding to my credit score will be minimal – much lower than most everyone believes. I open and close about 6 cards a year and my credit score is about 770.

2. mannymacho says:

Funny that the previous article is that citi’s credit card data was hacked. Maybe this offer is trying to lure in more customers to replace the scores that left due to the security breach…

3. Steven says:

Fees
    Annual Fee

$125 for each primary cardmember. However, the annual fee is waived for the first 12 months.

$50 for each authorized user. However, the annual authorized user fee is waived for the first 12 months.

That’s steep…

• David M says:

Steep – if you pay the fee.

However, as I posted below I got an even better offer of 50,000 points and was accepted.

However, I absolutely will NOT be paying any fees – once the year is up – I will cancel this card.

I have done this with at least 15 cards over the years.

Regarding my credit being hurt – maybe slightly but my credit score is about 770 and thus I’m not worried.

4. Until the 30th of June there is actually a 50,000 sign up bonus for this card.

5. David M says:

I got an offer for this card in the mail last week – the offer was EVEN BETTER!

50,000 bonus points for signing up everything else was the same.

I applied and was approved over the weekend.

$500 in gift cards for FREE – SWEET DEAL!!!!

6. Guest says:

Well, if you guys are CitiGold members, then the fees are waived!