Unfortunately, this offer has ended.
Back during the housing boom, credit cards often offered ridiculous promotions to get you to start using their credit cards. There was a constant battle for “share of wallet,” basically trying to get a piece of your spending each month. 20,000 points just for signing up for a card was almost the norm.
These days, like with bank deals, companies are becoming savvier. Instead of offering 20,000 just for signing up and making a nominal purchase, these rich point promotions are only available if you spend a certain amount over a period of time. The idea behind this is to make the card stickier. It is, however, still a great way to earn some free points for very little extra work.
The latest offer is from Citi and their Citi ThankYou  Premier card:
- $200 gift card – Redeem 20,000 bonus ThankYou® Points after $1,000 in purchases within 3 months of account opening
- 1 ThankYou point for every dollar you spend on purchases
- Earn points for the miles you fly when you purchase a ticket with your Citi ThankYou Premier Card.
- No foreign transaction fees on purchases*
- Annual complimentary domestic companion ticket and a 15% discount on all air travel when booked through our travel benefits provider, Spirit Incentives
- No points cap and no expiration of points
As is the case with any credit card application, you will take a small credit score hit for the application  so keep that in mind if you intend to make any loan applications.