The Home
comments

Comcast Triple Play Deals Are Getting More Aggressive

The other day, as I was leaving our house, I saw a rolled up Comcast flyer on my door. When I unrolled it, I saw that Comcast was offering high speed internet and cable television for $89.99. That’s about the same base price as Verizon FiOS, so it wasn’t terribly appealing. As I threw the paper behind my door, we were already on our way out, the guy who left it there was next door and he started talking to me. As he gave me his pitch, the most amazing part about their offer wasn’t the price, it was how Comcast was willing to pay any early termination fees, up to $200, I would be subject to by breaking my contract with Verizon. That’s certainly a first, I’ve never heard of that, but that’s nothing compared to the offers they currently have running online.

A few years ago I signed up with Comcast, they were basically the only game in town that offered both cable television and high speed internet, and compiled a list of their high speed internet and cable television deals. Back then I took advantage of the ditch the dish program (I did it three times, twice with the same box because they didn’t actually take it), rocked multiple rebates from various office supply stores, and otherwise had a grand ole time. Since then, all those promotions are gone but the fattest of them all, from ComcastSpecial.com, is still around and now $50 fatter.

ComcastSpecial.com is run by Comcast and their offer includes some pretty fat cash rebates. For their standard $99/mo Triple Play of Internet/Television/Phone, you can get a free wireless router after rebate and $250 cashback. Their Double Play of Internet and Television yields a $225 rebate and a $66/mo rate. Just standalone internet will get you $150, free wireless router and cable modem, plus a $19.99/mo rate for 6 months. It basically gives you free internet for six months (there is no mention of a contract in the promotional details).

If you want to see what they offer in your area, visit ComcastSpecial.com, put in your info and use a throwaway email from Guerrilla Mail.

With the guys walking around our neighborhood, it looks like the cash rebates ComcastSpecial is offering online is simply being used to cover early termination fees. One thing not being mentioned by those salespeople is the fact that Comcast has been known to compress their HD signals and they just announced a bandwidth cap. Booo! Remove those two and you might have my business (or offer a ridiculously cheaper service, you’re just on par right now), until then you’re just going to be my bargaining chip!

8 Responses to “Comcast Triple Play Deals Are Getting More Aggressive”

1. Adam says:

Sounds like some pretty good deals. We have had some serious customer service issues with Comcast. The guy who sold us our internet and cable basically called us a liar. Who does that?

I cannot wait until cell phone providers get on the band wagon and offer to pay for you to break a contract with another provider. They are already starting to prorate their cancellation fees. It will only be a matter of time until say AT&T pays your termination fee if you come over from Verizon.

2. Steve says:

I agree that the bandwidth cap is ridiculous. It is both arbitrary, and has little relation to what they are actually trying to control, connection speed for users. I see no reason I shouldn’t be able to download as much data as I want from say 1-5AM as long as I am not degrading the QoS for others on the network. All that said, I probably haven’t downloaded 250 GB worth of stuff in the past 5 years, let alone 1 month, so I am not all that mad.

3. Katy says:

Comcast is super aggressive with their direct mail–we get at least five flyers per week, and sometimes two in the same day. We’re not subscribers, and have requested to be taken off of their mailing list, but they claim that they subcontract, therefore it’s impossible to be removed.

4. Patrick says:

I am so tired of comcast. Their service sucks and is the only available service in Baltimore City where I live. I have tried calling them many times to get the rates lowered as I was paying over $100 a month for just cable and tv and they finally lowered it some, but after a number of hours on the phone with them. When I move out of the city, I plan on picking up FIOS just to get away from the crappy customer service of Comcast.

5. Lau says:

I signed up with Comcast (again) just a few months ago going through the comcastspecial website (from your older post, Jim. So thank you). The cash back was “only” $175 for internet and cable tv at the time. I should have waited :-/
    We pay about $79 (yeah, it’s 66, plus extra for the 2nd receiver box, and all the taxes and fees), but still cheaper than RCN.

I have 0 customer loyalty when it comes to cable tv and internet. So I’ll switch to whoever can offer a better deal next year.

6. jim says:

@Patrick: I live in Columbia and all of my Baltimore friends are pissed that Internet is Comcast only, the city gets a nice little kickback for that little deal.

@Lau: Customer loyalty only works if you offer a service that is superior and treat your customers well. :)

7. Joel says:

Despite their aggressive campaign, I found Comcast to be a nightmare. The service was spotty and the customer service was attrocious. If they paid me, I would have a tough time going back to Comcast.

8. Miranda says:

Comcast has some of the most expensive packages that I have seen in a very long time. I have been a long time subscriber of DISH, and I have all my services bundled with them. I have no complaints. But being a DISH employee as well, I can tell you that no where else in the pay TV industry will offer you better deals and packages for your money! It is worth checking into!