Cars
comments

Costco Prorated Tread Rebate Program

On a trip into Baltimore this Labor Day, I hit something on the road (never saw it so it must not have been too big) that punctured my rear passenger tire. I brought it into Costco thinking I could repair it but, alas, it was not to be. So, I ordered myself a whole new set of tires to the tune of approximately $550 after taxes. Five hundred dollars sounds like a lot but these tires aren’t your standard tires (they’re 215 widths, for starters) but $550 was a decent price for them after taxes… but there’s a better reason to go with Costco: prorated tread rebate.

One of the best benefits of buying tires from Costco is their prorated tread rebate benefit. If you buy your tires from Costco, they will refund you the value of the tread remaining on the tire when you go in to replace them! All told I had about 43% of the total tread remaining so I was refunded 43% of the total value of the tires, which was close to two hundred dollars! Granted, that two hundred dollars was already mine, but that means I don’t “lose” the value of the tread when I replace the tires – a definite win there.

Now you might ask, why did you replace the other tires when you still had 43% tread left? Convenience and because I don’t lose any money because of the prorated tread rebate. If they didn’t offer the tread rebate, I would’ve kept the two old tires and only bought two new ones, but since they did … I went with four new tires.

There are other reason why I buy my tires from Costco but that prorated tread thing is pretty freaking sweet.

11 Responses to “Costco Prorated Tread Rebate Program”

1. Jonathan Wagner says:

This is actually fairly common among tire manufacturers (i.e., Firestone/Bridgestone, Goodyear, etc.). If your tire shop does not offer this to you then I suggest shopping around. It usually does not cost the tire shop anything to prorate the tire as they claim a warranty with the manufacturer.

2. easygo says:

I did it twice, without any problems..LUV it..

3. Lazy Man says:

Yes, I’ve found this is fairly common as well. The problem that I have with Costco is that they didn’t my have my tires. My car is only 5 years old and it’s very common.

4. HERBERT says:

About Costco Prorated Tread Wear Rebate program.
    I have been a member of Costco for several years and I live in Miami and regarding your comment:
    “One of the best benefits of buying tires from Costco is their prorated tread rebate benefit. If you buy your tires from Costco, they will refund you the value of the tread remaining on the tire when WHEN YOU GO IN TO REPLACE THEM! All told I had about 43% of the total tread remaining so I was refunded 43% of the total value of the tires…”

There is no such thing as refunding you the value of the tread remaing on perfectly good and normal worn tires. this “prorated tread wear rebate program” ONLY applies to defective tires or road hazards that damaged the tires that you bought in Costco BUT simply replacing your old tires for new ones and get refunded a % according to the wear of the old tires is simply not true.

5. jim says:

Hmmm someone must have made a mistake then because I did receive a pro-rated refund.

6. HERBERT says:

I believe that the people working in the tire center missunderstood that tread wear program and gave you a pro-rated refund for tires that had only normal wear. GOOD FOR YOU!! haha BUT i consider Costco a very good place for buying tires and their reputation is very good and you can balance, rotate repair flats at no charge for the life of the tire you bought there.
    I also have had bad experiences with SEARS tire centers.

7. jim says:

Yeah, or they didn’t care… either way I’ll consider myself a lucky winner. :)

Please do share your bad experiences with Sears…

8. dale says:

good thing for you. I’ve had nothing but bad experiences with Costco tire. They sold me the wrong tires for my car, then refused to honor the warranty. I picked up a nail with about 12k miles and took it in to get fixed. They told me they couldn’t fix it b/c the tires were worn out (despite the fact that they have a 60k warranty). They claimed there was unusual wear. Took the car to a garage I’ve used for years and they told me the alignment was fine, the tires appear to be defective though. Turns out they aren’t the right tires for my car (way below load rating).

I won’t buy from Costco again.

9. Jimmy says:

All tire companies do that. If the tire has a 50,000 mile warranty and you only get 25,000 miles out of it, then they discount 25% of the tire cost. Since you hit something and if you had road hazard that one tire should have been free.

10. Greg says:

I waited 2 1/2 hours to purchase and install 2 tires (second customer that day)and was not permitted to designate which axle I wanted the tires mounted on. I wanted them on the front where the driven wheels are and most of the braking loads the tires. recently after hitting a rock, Costco denied the road hazard because they said we drove on the tire instead of changing it immediately. Isn’t a hazard a hazard? Prices are no better than other retailers. I have 4 cars and I’m not going back to Costco.

11. Anonymous says:

Bought 4 tires from cotco. Proformance tires on a solora not a good idea terrible ride, took them back within 30 days less then 100 miles, got the serious run around now they want to pro rate the tires when they told me I could just upgrade.