Shopping
comments

Costco’s Incredible Return Policy

I know a lot of folks love Costco, I’m one of them. Did you know that their return policy permits you to return ANYTHING (except computers) with or without the receipt whenever you want as long as you still have the same membership. If you bought a pair of pants, as I did, and found that you didn’t really like them but tossed the receipt already… no fear, just go back and they have it all on record. Yes, I bought these pants two months ago and had been meaning to return them for two months. You can also use this as a (semi-free) extended warranty – buy a TV or DVD player and if/when it stops working after four or five years, just return it! The only exception to this rule is a computer purchase and that return period expires after six months.

Update: Costco recently amended their return policy. Televisions, projectors, computers, cameras, camcorders, iPOD / MP3 players and cellular phones can only be returned within 90 days of purchase.

Don’t believe me? My friend David bought a mattress from Costco and emailed them to find out their return policy on mattresses. In short, he could return at any time, at no cost, to a store or arrange with customer service for pickup if you can’t get it to the store because of size and weight. Pretty sweet.

746 Responses to “Costco’s Incredible Return Policy”

1. Win says:

Just try it, Mia.
    All I know I’s pacquiao got tko’d

2. Laurie says:

If you receive something from Costco as a gift, can you return it without a receipt if you are not a member?

• Cate says:

yes you can. I had a friend who returned a poker gift set bought by someone else for his birthday. They basically need the name of the membership bought under. If you don’t have or know they can look it up when they scan the item. Costco gave him the amount in a Costco gift card

3. aua868s says:

I have had that question as well!…I am a member so did not have a chance to validate it.

4. Helping says:

You cannot return it if your not a member and received it as a grift.
    How will Costco know that it really came from they stores.

• hm says:

You have to have the info of the person who gave it to you. They will look up that account and verify that it was purchased there and by that person. Then an exchange or credit will be given. I am getting ready to return my Keurig that stopped working after 2 years. I have been told they will take it back no questions asked. My mom gave it to me for christmas and they will just have to look up her account.

5. Fairy says:

Amazing! What about their return policy for food?

6. Deb says:

Not so. I took a patio heater back in the original shipping container as we never used it. Have receipts, etc…had it four years and realised we would never use it. I was told I could return it by someone who worked there, and when I took it back they would NOT accept it. Asked me if I would like to buy a patio heater four years old. Said it was unreasonable to expect them to take it back.

• Anonymous says:

Extrmely unreasonable to expect that.

• Gabriela says:

You cant give up, talk to store manger make a big deal about it.I work for a costco in the San Diego California area and i saw a patio heater all rusty broken used and abused and 5 years old purchase and that menmer got full refund, no recipep nessesary. But I was told that the person even asked for membership refund because he/she was not satisfied and the store manager apolagise and gave imediate refund. The people that buy were I work make a huge deal over anything because they know they can get away with it thats why they have an expensive membership, theres even people that dine daly with the sample food and nobody can say squat about it

7. Anonymous says:

Only in America

8. Anonymous says:

how about medicine, not pills kind, but like prescription cream for acne, unopened with in 48 hrs. will they accept it?

9. Shellie says:

Thanks for the advice. My husband bought me a Shark Vacuum Cleaner about 6 months ago and today POOF it just stopped working. Of course we do not have the box or the receipt, but we are going to attempt to return. Will circle back and post to report what happens! $200 Vacuum should not break after 6 months!

10. dan says:

1. Costco greatly changed their return policy.
    2. They will accept returns if they feel like it?
    3. It is up to the morons who work behind the return counter.
    4. If you make a fuss, it’s up to the moronic store manager.
    5. I will never buy another grey market watch there, nor anything else.
    6. The only reason I ever bought most of the krap they peddle was
    because of the generous warranty.

11. Peter says:

I purchased a ninja blender about three months ago and this blender sucks. They just came out with Vitamix blender and I was thinking about getting that. Can I still return the ninja blender without the box or the receipt?

12. Danaerys Targaryen says:

Really? People at Costco are not morons… just people like you. They have to deal with all kinds of people and unlike your average big box store (cough, cough Walmart, Sam’s Club), their employees are well treated so they are more competent and better trained than those other places. And yet, the same trash goes into their store looking for a free deal.

Congratulations for being a dick, dan.

13. KPF says:

I have been a member of Costco for many years- they are refunded our money for anything we returned. Even a computer this year in April 2013- it was a touch screen laptop and the screen cracked- I had not even had it 2 months- but point is no one else would have replace that computer. Costco still honors their great return policy. Today we are taking back a battery that died (not holding a strong enough charge) and the warranty is 36 months free replacement, then limited warranty until 100 months. Great place to shop still.

14. Master Doug says:

There are A LOT of people who take advantage of the return policy. I have a family member who will return expired food because he didn’t get to eat it in time. I am so embarrassed that I will never go shopping with him again. Apparently, from talking to Costco employees, there are a lot of sleazy people out there taking advantage of how generous they are with returns.

15. SA4H says:

Costco probably have the BEST guarantee policy out there. I have never have issued with any of my returns/exchanges….. that’s why I’ve spent an average of $10,000+ a year with them instead of such place as Walmart (worst place to get anything that’s more than a bar of soap AND horrible with return/exchange).

Some of the disadvantages are: Selling in bulk, great products line (tempting me to spend a few hundreds dollars every time…. it’s my problem actually – so I try to limit my visit), they may not carry some of the items you are looking for (ie: 1998 Honda Accord Battery).

16. Elisa says:

If I buy the Kirkland brand cat food and my cat won’t eat it can I return it?

17. nick says:

Not as it is stated. Certain “Costco” stores place limits on how many times you can return an item. They become like the KGB and investigate your purchase history and then tell you since the manufacturer made a bad product you are to blame for returning it and they decide to overrule their own return policy and SAY NO to the RETURN

• Nick S says:

It’s the age-old parable of the Boy Who Cried Wolf. If you take advantage of something when you don’t need it, it may not be available to you when you really do.

Just because Costco sells it, doesn’t mean you have to buy it or it’s of great quality that won’t fail. Do your research ahead of time, so you don’t end up buying said “bad product”. And if, on the off chance you do, you will have the positive purchase history to support granting a return.

18. Steve says:

Your lives will be alot easier if, you use the employees name when talking to them. By using their name, you make the interaction personal. People like to be recognized, they are more likely to take better and quicker care of you. I have never had a problem with a return at Costco, and the concierge service for electronics is second to none.

19. Summit says:

They have incredible return policy. I had a seven years old watch with no receipt. I just asked at the return desk if any thing can be done it has stopped working. He just returned me the full amount. No questions asked.