Frugal Living
comments

Your Take: Could You Live Off Food Stamps?

Sean Callebs will try and he’s documenting the whole experience on CNN. This is a little more realistic than the $1 a day meal experiment, which was more about publicity than reality. What I find most interesting about Callebs’ reports is the insight it gives him and his readers. “… it stinks being hungry when you go to sleep.” (Feb 13th) How many people go to sleep hungry? I probably have only a handful of times in my life and it was mostly because of scheduling, not because I couldn’t afford it. I think that unless you have lived it, you can’t faithfully criticize.

Much like when I talked about living on minimum wage, it’s difficult to understand the lifestyle until you try to live it. For some, the thought of food stamps invokes the image of someone on welfare spending it on cigarettes and alcohol. For others, it’s seeing a bright light when you’re lost in the woods at midnight. Regardless of how you feel about food stamps, the majority of people who get food stamps need them. They’re not living the good life financially, sipping a Mai-tai on the beach; they’re struggling.

I find myself struggling with the idea of handouts because I believe, especially in America, you can, through hard work and determination, succeed regardless of where you start. Food stamps and welfare, while necessary, will give some a reason not to work as hard and I recognize that; but I think you have to accept those who will take advantage of the system if you want to help those who just need a little bit extra to get them over the hump.

What are your thoughts on food stamps and other welfare programs?

(Photo: pengrin)

91 Responses to “Your Take: Could You Live Off Food Stamps?”

1. Godfather says:

The food stamp debit cards are a great idea but I know that these food stamps can also be sold because a person who has the card can go to the store with the one they are selling them to and let them shop and then when they get done the other person pays them the cash agreed upon which is usually 40 cents per dollar return average as I knew someone who did this once. It is not a fool proof system. The food stamps are great for non abusers of the system. I think sometime in the future there will be a plastic age where there will be no more money exchanging hands and the people on welfare will get what they get and that is it and will not be able to sell the food stamps so easily and this will probably bring more people to the table to get more help as cash jobs will no longer be there as the government will have a record of every money transaction taking place. Just my thoughts and some truth.

2. M says:

Dedicated – can you let us know who/what did offer you help during that hard time (if anyone)? I’d like to know how someone like me (who at this point in my life is able to donate to charities regularly) could help someone in the situation you were in years ago…someone who is going to land on their feet eventually but is going through a rough time. Could I call up a local daycare and ask them if they knew a family that could use help? Did a church help you? Or do I just save up some cash so that when bad stuff happens to people in my social circle I can slip an annonymous card containing cash in their mailbox?

3. Meg says:

The problem with food stamps is that they aren’t accompanied by enough restrictions nor any education about budgeting for food and cooking. I frequently see people with 2 (or more!) carts brimming over with potato chips, sodas, snacks, and other expensive and nutritionally useless “food” and then paying with foodstamps. No wonder they can’t get $200 in food stamps to last a month!

4. jimmydageek says:

Too many people think believe in the fake idea of a “living wage”. Who gets to decide what that is and why? Who gets to decide what kind of lifestyle a living wage will support. Does it support a single person, renting a room? Or an apartment? How about married people? What about children? In short, a living wage is a hoax, a way to pay people a lot more then their labor is worth, according to the market. A living wage keeps people dependent instead of wanting to improve themselves.

The problem with welfare is there aren’t enough controls to make sure people are using money given to them wisely. Sure, there are people that are helped, but they are becoming the minority. If welfare was so useful, why are there 5 generations now on it, with 50-year old great-grandmothers?

5. PP says:

I resent the fact that some people have the notion that people who get food stamps or want too are lazy or don’t want to work….I’m a single mother of one child, currently laid off for about 2 months now…actively looking for work, I used to make $35,600 a year..Now I’m living off my unemployment checks..which is $275.00 a week and child support…I can’t barely meet my bills…I have to extend making a payment of my electric bill for example…just to make ends meet…I made a application for food stamps…the worker was so rude…I dislike the feeling like everyone thinks I’m trying to free load…I’m not…I’ve worked hard all of my life…pay my taxes..I was told I couldn’t get experdited food stamps cause I have over $150 in income…Its been a month…still no stamps…I’ve given up on it…I’ve gone to food banks to get food to make sure my son get fed…I sure hope I get a job soon…I can’t stand living like this.

6. lisa kilbride says:

As a former cashier i saw both sides of this issue. the timid people who really needed and were embarrassed by the need for the ebt card and who quietly said ebt when paying for their groceries. and the brazen i am entitled to and deserve types clonking down the aisle in their Jimmy choo shoes and slinging their Louis Vuttton hand bags and loudly announcing food stamps as their form of payment as they bought their crab legs and lobster tails, soda candy and junk galore not the so called nutrituous foods I believe this system is set up for. working for minimum wage myself behind the counter and resenting they were eating and dressing a whole lot better than me. I think if you can afford expensive clothes purses manicures etc you can surely afford to pay for your own junk food. and having another child when one is getting too old to be in the system or to get more stamps is not the way to go either.

• Thrifty One says:

How do you know if the “designer” handbag and shoes were real? There are lots of fakes out there; I see people selling them on the city streets all the time. Also, how do you know if someone used to earn a good living and now is unemployed? It’s not like you can sell used designer shoes to buy milk & bread. Lots of women give themselves good manicures which look professional. The designer clothes could be a gift from a wealthier relative.

7. Juno says:

For the first time in our 14 year marriage, we have had to turn to food stamps. I lost my job a few months back, and my husband lost his 2 weeks ago. We have an 8 year old. I am out 12 hours a day looking for employment. There is nothing out there. Meanwhile we are hungry. Here is what surprised me: We get almost $600.00 a month in food in the state of Washington. That is 2 X what we have ever spent on groceries! I was shocked! Plus we automatically get free medical, dental and vision, plus almost $600 cash every month for a year. With food stamps, you can’t buy alcohol, but any food item goes. That really surprised me. I could buy lobster and caviar. Not that I would, but I am shocked there is no restrictions on it. I feel that I have paid a lot in taxes for 17 years and am glad the state is there when we have no where else to go, but I now see why there is so many people on welfare. It is easier to do nothing and get more, than to work and get less on this system! And yes, I am still interviewing everyday and can’t wait for us to get abck on our feet. ;)

8. Carrie says:

How do people buy cigs and beer with food stamps? They sell their food stamps. That’s how. It’s insane.

9. Juno says:

You know, the one thing that really gets me is the cash benefits. When my husband and I worked for a casino, we would see them go to the ATM and pull out cash for the slot machines. I talked to my case worker about this, because it says it is against the law to use welfare cash for gambling. She told me that it is their money and they can do what they choose with it. Alcohol, Cigarettes, hookers, whatever you want! How about it be restricted to gas, toilet paper, clothes, light bulbs, necessaties!

10. Yana says:

This hating the poor attitude makes me just as sad as hating the rich. If someone qualifies for aid, it is up to the person what to do with it, as it is HIS OWN money. Once we pay taxes, it is no longer our money. And in fact, it never was, if it could be required of us. This anger is misdirected. Sadly so. There are already restrictions on some forms of assistance, such as food stamps, but to want to extend the restrictions further is to treat the recipients even more like second class citizens – or really, something worse than that.

This household does not purchase soft drinks or snack foods, for instance. If a welfare/food stamp recipient wants to spend his resources on Coca Cola and Lay’s potato chips, for me to tell him he can’t do that because I think those things are garbage is to infringe on his very value as a human being.

• Thrifty One says:

Yeah, and if we tell him he can’t buy potato chips, what’s next? Can’t buy tuna fish because it contains mercury? Can’t buy meat because it’s more expensive than beans? Can’t buy eggs because of cholesterol? You want Big Brother in your life? If someone buys a lot of junk on a small budget–food stamps or not–he will be broke at the end of the month, and hopefully will do better next month.

• zulu says:

Couldn’t have said it better myself. People pay taxes but then still want to claim eveything that comes from them as “theirs”. I’ve heard comments like “I’M buying his food”…”How’s it feel to be buying that with MY money?” It’s saddening and makes me angry at the same time. Who is anyone to tell anyone else what they should be buying, food stamps or not?

11. JimmyDaGeek says:

@Yana

You are soooo way off. TAXES ARE OUR MONEY. WE, THE PEOPLE, ARE THE GOVERNMENT. We, the productive people in society, support government expenses and must have a say in how the money is spent. Because we live in a republic, we don’t have a direct say. And because the inmates have taken over the asylum, they keep voting themselves more and more money!

Welfare is supposed to used by people to maintain their themselves at a minimum until they can pick themselves up and rejoin productive society. The liberal left policies of the last 45 years have guaranteed that we get 3 and 4 generations of people that have never worked and keep making babies.

• Yana says:

Once I’ve paid taxes, the money is no longer mine. I’d love to have a say as far as how the money is spent. This is why I vote, and also vote with my wallet where there is a choice. I don’t approve of the mismanagement of tax dollars, but the fact is that there is nothing I can do about it. I accept that we have to pay taxes.

This principle is like casino gambling, in that if one goes and gambles $20, and for example wins a $750 jackpot, he might say, “Now I’m playing on THEIR money”. That’s not the way I think. The minute the $750 is won, it ceases to be “theirs”.

We can pretend that we are the government to console ourselves, but it isn’t any consolation to me. My big issue is health care. If I had a say, we would have universal health care.

We will always have people who need welfare. You speak of people being “productive”, as though employment is what that word means. And you might be right, but as far as being a contributing member of society, that means spending money. Welfare recipients generally spend every dollar they receive, and that is what is expected of them, lest they prosper. If we keep ‘em down, they will need more assistance, but that assistance is money to spend and transfer to the prosperous.

• JimmyDaGeek says:

Wrong. Being productive, by its very definition, has nothing to do with spending. DUH! It has everything with providing a service or product in exchange for the money a person receives. A person getting money for nothing (and spending it) is a drain on society because society gets nothing in return. I want to spend my money instead of giving it to someone else to spend.

12. Marta says:

When I was a young teen, about 25 years ago, my parents used food stamps. They also drove a Cadillac Coupe DeVille and I remember being embarassed not only by the food stamps, but what people thought of the car we were driving whilst doing so. It was also humiliating and stygmatizing to stand in the free lunch line.

It wasn’t until much later as an adult that I realized that the car soon went away and we moved into an apartment because the bank had taken both the car and the house (my dad lost his business, I just thought he had a job change). Sometimes people run out of food long before the repo-man arrives, so judge not.

As an adult, I ended up hungry and trying to get food stamps myself. I was trying to support myself entirely through college working 25 hours a week as a grocery checker, on Pell Grants, and student loans (which I’m still paying off 20 years later). It was a big struggle to pay rent, utilities, clothes, food, books, tuition, a trip to the dentist, whatever, and some weeks I had $3 left for food. I was told that I was ineligible for food stamps because I was “voluntarily indigent.” And that I’d have to be available for full time employment to qualify. In other words quit college. I didn’t quit college; but if I had been eligible, surely I would have used them without shame or embarassement, and impervious to the nasty looks of the ignorant.

13. mar says:

These comments make me sick. I have multiple sclerosis and food stamps are a necessity for me. Im bedbound now, and before someone lashes out at me for having a computer, guess what? ITS NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS what my family situation is, not that anyone would care before they cut me down.
    Everything I do gets criticized because I get some food stamps. Im not living in luxury by a long shot, my clothes are all used. I dont even own a purse.
    I worked a full time job while putting myself through school..that’s right, I didnt get a free ticket through college. I busted my ass raising two kids on my own and going to school at night to better my situation.
    When I got MS, I worked until I became bedbound and paralyzed, I have something that helps me type and it takes me forever to type anything now. I had to comment on this because Im sick and tired of people thinking Im lazy and stupid because I get help with my food.
    Im an intelligent woman who happens to need some help, there’s nothing wrong with that. I get recertified every 2 months in my state, and the welfare dept knows enough about me and I follow the rules like Im supposed to.
    So you all can get off your high-horses and stop preaching about food stamp recipients being lazy, because not all of us are.

Oh, and Kelly the caseworker above, you are INCORRECT! I suggest you read up on your laws or go back in training and learn your job again.

And for the cashiers, I used to be cashier myself, and I never questioned why a person was using food stamps and I couldnt care less what they bought. If you’re spending that much time noticing what the person is buying, then your job is way too boring…offer it to the food stamp recipient…I know ID take it in a heartbeat just to get this stigma off of me.

14. Eric Shea says:

makes me sick to go to work everyday and pay for this!

15. sara says:

I’m on food stamps. I have a newer car ( a 2000), and my family does wear name brand and designer clothing. I even have a genuine Louis Vuitton purse. I get weird looks when I use my ebt card to buy food, but so much of it is just based on perception. I bought my car for $400 a year ago. I buy our clothes mainly from thrift shops, paying 10-20 cents apiece for my son’s clothes and 20-50 cents apiece for my husband and my clothes. My purse I found while cleaning a vacant apt. for my landlord, which is part of how we pay our rent every month. My husband and I were both laid off over a month ago. Six days a week my husband works at a temp job, working over 8 hours and bringing home $40 or less a day, which is the only way we pay our bills and the rest of our rent. While he works, I walk all through our very hilly town, pushing my son in his stroller, looking for cans and scrap metal to recycle for a little extra money. The gas in our car is paid for solely by people we give rides to, and we use extra gas to put in job applications that are too far away to walk to. EVERYTHING in our home, from our furniture to my sons toys, we either buy from thrift stores or garage sales, are hand-me-downs, or we simply find on a street corner( which is how we got my son’s high chair and his bed). Obviously, we’re not living the “high life”. We stretch our food stamp budget to the breaking point because I also use it to buy cleaning supplies(vinegar and baking soda) and I make our health products(such as shampoo) and our dog’s food,all of the supplies being food products I can buy with food stamps.I use coupons whenever I can. We buy very little packaged food, the majority being simple food such as beans,rice,and produce. I could easily stretch my food stamps farther if I bought junk food such as chips instead of fruit and white bread instead of whole wheat flour to make my own, but I don’t want that crap in my family’s body. At the end of the month, when the food stamp amount gets low, my husband and I simply stop eating to make sure we can continue to buy good food for our son(who eats more than both of us combined). Normally it’s only for 2-3 days, but last month we had family stay with us for several days, so it ran out a week and a half ahead of schedule(we did get a referral from our case worker so we could go to the food pantry). There are those who abuse the system,who sell their food stamps to buy alocohol or drugs, but I know several people who sell some of theirs to make ends meet. My mother is disabled and receives a $600 soc. sec. check, which she uses to pay the rent,bills, and anything my 3 younger siblings need. She sells at least $50 of food stamps every month, receiving $25, which she uses to pay the co-pays on her medications THAT KEEP HER ALIVE. We’re not all drains on society. My husband and I pay taxes. We volunteer in our community alot. For us, our food stamps and our medicaid card are godsends. I know what it’s like to go to sleep hungry, not just one night but every night for months on end. You feel weak, you can’t sleep, and the gnawing in your stomach makes you physically ill. It’s hell. And I feel no guilt in using food stamps to make sure my son will never feel that way.

16. D says:

Lots of good comments on both sides of this subject here. I have been on both sides also.
    A relative of ours was a mailman and saw who got food stamps and had nicer cars than our family did with a full time job. Cars could have been in someone else’s name or something. There are abuses, but there are people who use the assistance wisely.

When we were on food stamps we had more food stamps then we needed at the time. My wife is very frugal and very good at meal planning. We saved our food stamps that we didn’t use each month and after several months, bought a half side of beef to fill our freezer. During that time we got free or cheap dental and found a really good dentist that we still go to after about 20 years. I finally got a job when the economy picked back up so the food stamps were a big help to keep us going during a hard time.

Maybe there should be some more education as to nutrition and using money wisely for those on assistance who are capable of working.
    It is getting harder and harder for some organizations who want to help to get information on who needs help because of privacy laws.

17. elli says:

I’m scared. I was out of work for a year; I somehow managed to put something on my rent once in awhile to keep me from getting booted to the street! I never had food, and I was hungry all the time, I was in such despair, I have no one to turn to for help, I would just sit and cry all the time. I was embarrassed to go get food stamps, but I finally did it.
    I couldn’t afford gas for my 98 truck which I had bought and used for my job which was maintenance, so I tried to sell it, but no one would buy it, even cheap! I had a hard time just trying to get a trade straight across for a different vehicle, one better on gas mileage. I finally did… get someone to trade straight across, my 96′gmc NICE truck for a 94′ piece of crap little Chrysler. Looked good, would hardly run: but I got a job, and it got me to work. For the short time I had the job… Talk about abuse. Abuse is absolutely everywhere… I worked for a cell phone co. and I constantly felt that I was about to get fired, even though I continued to be in the top three producers there. Only a few months was I there, and my supervisor who was clearly (to me anyway), not very bright – (along with the entire staff, 98% being of the same culture). I learned too quickly, and did too well, and I was terminated for a really ridiculous reason. I know he was afraid I would take his place! But I was making minimum wage, and I needed desperately to catch up my rent which was waaayyy behind. I was almost literally giving my check every two weeks to my landlord. I never treated myself to any toys, or conveniences. I just worked, and worked; I even worked over time, and every payday, I gave almost all my check to back rent. Almost to the day of catching up on my rent, I lost my job. There I am, no job, AGAIN! And although my rent was caught up, I had no money coming in again, and I hadn’t reported my income while I was receiving food stamps. Now I have lost my car because not being able to register it due to poverty, I was pulled over, (ON THE WAY TO THE UNEMPLOYMENT OFFICE NO DOUBT) – (IN THE E.D.D.’s PARKING LOT!!!) They towed it, and little known to me would keep it for 30 minimum, at a hefty charge daily, there was no way I would get it back. Not a felon, not a big law breaker!, But take my damned car? They condemned me! I was planning on sleeping in that piece of Chrysler crap!! I received my action notice in the mail, stating and pretty much flat out threatening me with bold and capital letters, that boy was I gonna get it! And boy, was I NOT! Gonna get food stamps anymore. I haven’t had them for months, and now I don’t know what will happen. I’ve had to take in a pregnant woman and her boyfriend to pay my rent, I hate my life and I don’t think I can take much more of the way this wicked world works. I am serious. What the hell? They are going to crucify me aren’t they? I know what I did was wrong, I knew it was wrong when I did it, I needed it, And I have sincerely lived my life doing the “Right Thing” for years because I know it is the way that God wants it to be. But I stand around STRANDED-HUNGRY AND WHIPPED BY THIS CRAPPY CITY AND IT’S JUDICIAL SYSTEM – All the while; incredibly, I watch all the thieves, drug dealers, low-lives and just plain old users and abusers just freaking PROSPER!!!! Always have a car, never work, do what they want all the time. Chopping it up on their free cell phones, eating out all the time, whatever!!!
    AND I JUST DON’T GET IT!? Please tell me something… Is there any way that they will forgive me of what?

18. Yana says:

elli – I guess you’re saying you can’t get food stamps because you failed to report income in the past. You should ask somebody at the food stamp office whether you can get food stamps after a certain amount of time. Other than that, all I can think of is the Salvation Army for help. The rest of your story isn’t unique, and I’m sorry that people have to suffer like that. In my opinion, the only mistake you made was to trade your truck – well, taking in people to pay your rent doesn’t sound good either, but it sounds like the truck was something good to you. See, trading it didn’t improve things. And taking in people might give you new problems. I wish I could be helpful. I’m only replying because it seems you really want input. I’ve been in dire straits before, and the only reason I ever got out of them is primarily LUCK. Not to say that I didn’t do the best I could, but the fact is that you can do everything right and have everything turn out wrong. Still, if there’s a lesson for you so far, it’s about that truck. If you have something good, don’t give it up, because later you won’t have it or anything better. If you keep it, you will at least have that one thing that’s good.

19. Kelsi says:

I am 26, one of the hardest working people many of my employers say have ever had, have a college degree and tens of thousands of dollars in student loan debt. I make a little over ten bucks an hour as a baker, it’s back-breaking, extremely physical work. Try doing a sweaty workout for about 7-8 hours at a time and you’d understand. I can’t find a job in my field (education) right now because of the economy and where I live…the university pumps out teachers and there’s a saturation. I love where I live, however, and my fiance is in school here for the next few years. I have no qualms getting $150 a month in food stamps now, because I know what it is to continue to scrape by every month and not save a dime. My quality of life and health is important to me, so I do choose to buy clean, healthy, organic foods with my benefits instead of loads of cheap ramen and other crap. Because I go the route of whole, unprocessed food, I can get a lot of beans and rice out of my money. BUT…why should other people here judge what foods people choose to buy with their benefits? How is it your place to say what people should be buying? Luckily I live in a community where I can use my benefits at the farmer’s market and it’s understood that a lot of us here are living on low incomes and that’s just the way it is.

So for those of you out there that are grumbling in the middle tax bracket, angry that there are welfare programs out there to support those that are not paid enough to do the menial jobs YOU choose not to do yourself because you have the money for convenience (housecleaning, bread baking, pizza making, retail industry, etc), be quiet. Your money grubbing and bitterness is not making the world or this country any better. Someone is always going to abuse handouts, and that’s just the way it goes. Just like there will always be those types of people that make more than enough money and choose not to share the wealth. There are plenty of upstanding hard workers that need help too.

20. D says:

Agreed, there are plenty of upstanding hard workers that need help too… and when I could have used it my wife and I were only lucky enough to receive WIC because we had one young child under 2 and another over 4, made too much with unemployment to qualify for any other assistance. This after working my A double S off for the last 20 years. And when I had to humble myself by going to the store with my father-in-law with those WIC cards to buy some milk, cheese, bread, rice and some baby food and saw a ‘new to the U.S.’ gal pull out enough food stamps to cover for the 300+ dollars in groceries she was buying kinda miffed me a bit…

Well we are back on our feet and have been since 2003, before this recession hit and have learned a great lesson from that past experience. Do not rely on others to help you out,the government, friends, even family. That is just the way the world turns unfortunately. Everyone for themselves!

21. leigh says:

You know most people on foodstamps have a job. They pay taxes as well as you.

22. jimmy37 says:

Ya’ know, I don’t know who or what to believe anymore. You can’t believe the government because everything they say has a political spin to it.

I, the taxpayer, am not responsible to make sure you can live your life the way you want to without being financially responsible for yourself.

You, the American, are guaranteed Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness.

I, the taxpayer, am not responsible to make sure you find Happiness.

Nor am I responsible to make sure you are fed, clothed, housed, transported and doctored to your heart’s delight. That’s your concern!

• fred says:

I made it through another Holiday season and live in a state where people with the EBT cards can buy party platters from the deli and 25 dollar cakes for the children they cannot afford. WHY WHY WHY can’t the program be regulated so people can buy cake mixes and milk NOT premade cakes, etc. Is lobster at 8.99/lb really necessary for them? We also had a customer who abuses the system brag about her daughters new $1,000 dog. Ok…can’t feed your family yet you can buy a dog? UUUGH!

23. Yana says:

fred, your resentment is annoying. If someone qualifies for this assistance in a so-called free country, who are you to tell them what they ought to buy? The rules for that are already in place. Personally, the only beverages bought in this household are milk, bottled water, coffee and tea, but I am aware that many people purchase soft drinks. And by “people”, I don’t distinguish between those who get assistance and those who don’t, because the luckier ones who purchase soft drinks are equally stupid. But do I judge? ;) I guess my point is that if I consider an action foolish, it not only doesn’t mean I have a right to inflict my beliefs on others, but whether or not they use food stamps is entirely irrelevant. You seem to begrudge people having extremely basic freedoms, and you might even think that poor people ought not to have a dog given to them since it has to be fed. That’s sad.

24. aua868s says:

yep…america is truly a land of oppotunities…sad to see citizens of a land which provides so many benefits to immigrants depending on food stamps.

25. JimmyDaGeek says:

I am sick and tired of reading posts from freeloaders and bleeding-hearts that justify stealing money from people that truly need it. The general idea behind welfare payments in all its forms, including earned income credits, food stamps, Section 8 housing, food bank gifts, etc., is too provide a helping hand to people who are down on their luck, TEMPORARILY. To set up one’s life so they exist by sucking on the public teat is stealing. Yes, I will tell you thieves what you can and can’t buy with my tax money. I pay taxes, you steal them.