Personal Finance
comments

Credit Karma Offers Free Credit Monitoring For All

Credit Karma has officially opened up its credit monitoring service to everyone. Until now, likely due to beta testing, you had to get a special invitation through a partner site, like Bargaineering, to get credit monitoring.

What is Credit Karma monitoring? They check every day for any “significant change” to your report, such as a new credit inquiry (hard pull), delinquent payment or improvement. Not everything is negative, they will notify you via email if something positive occurs too. If something happens that you didn’t expect, it’s good to know that you’ll be notified quickly.

Long timer readers will remember that I use Credit Karma for credit monitoring as part of my do it yourself identity theft protection and this new feature has made it so much easier. In the past, I’d just request my score once a month and investigate further if I discovered a change in my score. In the last year, my credit score via Credit Karma has been a steady horizontal line – which means I have nothing to worry about (at least when it comes to my TransUnion credit report). This doesn’t mean I don’t check my reports once every year, but it does give me a peek in between those reviews.

Pretty awesome when you consider Credit Karma is absolutely free.

6 Responses to “Credit Karma Offers Free Credit Monitoring For All”

1. eric says:

Just got an email from them saying the same. Nice addition!

2. Strebkr says:

I’ve been a long fan of Credit Karma. Their site is filled with all sorts of useful info. I can’t wait to see what kind of alert I get when my credit changes.

3. Linda says:

Well it’s about time. One of my huge pet peeves that I had to pay for info about ME!! But why am I just hearing about it now….I saw it advertised on TV for the first time just recently.

I pull my reports every year but don’t use credit anymore…just an AMEX card so haven’t been in this arena much.

But I will be interested to see what my score is…maybe lower because I don’t use credit?

4. Dani says:

Why can’t I log onto Credit Karma anymore??

• VJ says:

I have tried to log in for several weeks and AOL tells me the address is incorrect. Anyone out there know why I can’t log on?

• Paul says:

I don’t know if you’re still having the problem, if so, you may be running into their new security software.
      I was looking at Creditkarma complaints in the Better Business Bureau site and many were of this issue.
      I don’t remember the exact fix, there is something about selecting a security type for your browser or some such thing. You cab check the BBB for the solution. You can also try using another browser.