Government
comments

Did You Vote Yet?

I Voted - American Flag

That simple question is enough to get a lot of people to vote.

So, I’m curious, did you vote yet? If so, and you are so bold, for whom did you vote for?

This afternoon I’ll post mine if you post yours. :)

(As of this posting, I have not yet voted, but I will soon; I’ll remove this sentence once I’ve voted)

(Photo: orangejack)

22 Responses to “Did You Vote Yet?”

1. Leslie says:

I voted this morning, for Obama. Judging by the line this morning–nothing egregious, but normally I don’t have to wait at all–turnout in Madison, WI is going to be high. I don’t care what your politics are, that is really refreshing to see. Please VOTE today!

2. Jon says:

I voted at about 8:30am in Baltimore County. It only took like 5 minutes as there were no lines. As to who I voted for, let’s just say that Obama and McCain are not the only candidates on the ballot.

3. Christine in Iowa says:

Ditto what Jon said, only I’m in Polk County :)

4. David says:

Obama, in Taos, NM. Can’t wait for the results!

5. Glenn Lasher says:

I voted at 6:20 this morning, in Schenectady County, NY. As best as I can tell, I was the 23rd voter in my district. I usually vote third-party, and in keeping with that, I voted for McKinney (Green) for President. I voted for Paul Tonko (Dem, not incumbent) for Representative, having met the guy at a green energy event.

6. Jessica says:

I don’t see it as unpatriotic not to vote or any more patriotic if you do. The freedom we have is the CHOICE of whether or not to vote and having it count if we choose to.

Some countries’ governments make all of their citizens vote for the corrupt government or face consequences up to and including death. Even better, they cheat/change the votes so they win anyways. Where’s the patriotism in that?

Everyone knows one vote has (roughly) 1/60,000,000 chance of being a deciding vote. Living in Texas, I will not be voting. It’s not worth the loss in pay I would incur to nudge the republican landslide up or down one notch.

7. urbantux says:

I voted two weeks ago in early voting… it allowed me to not have to miss work. In this day and age there is no reason not to vote. Your vote counts, not just for president but for your local senate seats and your state representatives. There are people in this world would give anything to have the right to vote for their leaders, in a fair and just way. the least you can do for your country is vote and express your wishes. So if you are for Obama, McCain, heck even Ralph Nader. Get out and vote, I went for McCain.

8. That One Caveman says:

Jessica,

One must remember that while the Presidential election is taking top billing on the ballots, there are many state and local-level entries on there as well that affect you just as much – if not more – than the Presidential election. By choosing not to vote, you’re letting other people take control over you by deciding how much you pay in taxes, what state constitution you live under, what judges will preside over your courts, and many other issues. Don’t forget that this election isn’t just about who will be the next President; it’s also about how your life will be affected immediately and in the future.

9. Michael says:

I voted today in Elkhart County, Indiana. No lines at all when I went at 7am ET. I voted for Obama… I wonder if he can win Indiana and our massive 11 electoral votes?

10. Jeremy says:

Hey, Michael. I’m your neighbor to the north in Cass County.

Just to reiterate what Caveman said, but people often forget that there is more to almost every election than the big ticket elections. There are almost always many local issues at stake as well, and they have a far greater impact on your bottom line than what president is elected.

There are millages and proposals that will directly affect my property tax rates, services offered in my area, and plenty of other issues. Unfortunately, these proposals get very few votes as it is, and it isn’t uncommon to see something pass by no more than a hundred or fewer votes.

I know that in my state, my vote won’t have any impact on the presidential race, but there are plenty of local political races and proposals at stake that a vote will certainly count.

11. Jeremiah says:

I voted by mail in ballot for obama over a week ago and I did not even have to pay for a stamp or wait in line!

12. Amy says:

I voted right before lunch for Obama…unfortunately, my husband voted right next to me for McCain! Anyway, we traded in our “I voted” stickers for a free Chick-Fil-A sandwich. We had no lines where I voted in Pinellas County, Florida.

13. Amanda says:

Jessica – I wholeheartedly disagree with you. The beauty of a democracy is that we all have a say in how our country is run. To not vote is just unforgivable in my book. It’s your duty as a citizen. Plus, as a woman, there was a time in the not so distant past when you would have been UNABLE to vote. Many people dedicated their lives to making that your right.

Anyway, I voted during Early Voting here in Chicago last week, and I voted Obama.

14. Ladam8518 says:

I voted for McCain & Palin, against John Kerry, and for myself (as a write in since I didn’t like the options).

So my voice may be heard on the Kerry issue. It will be lost on the other two due to Massachusetts love of Democrats.

More importantly though I put my input in on the three binding state motions:

1. Voting to keep rather than abolish income tax (my property tax went up 5 fold since last year, I don’t need to give the town more motivation to increase it).
    2. Voted to not decriminalize pot.
    3. Voted to ban dog racing in which any forms of wagers or bets are made.

15. Jon says:

Barr got my vote as well.

16. Deby says:

I voted this morning before work. I voted for Obama. Was in and out in under 15 minutes. I thought about stopping by Starbucks for my free coffee since I had time to spare, but I don’t drink coffee :)
    As others have said, there are many other propositions and measures on the ballots. Here in California, prop. 8 has been a huge, divisive campaign (I voted against it), and the outcome will be close. My one vote there may not be the deciding vote, but it will be among them. Plus, as my boyfriend likes to point out, if you don’t vote you don’t get to bellyache!

17. katy says:

I went to vote and was told that NEITHER I nor my husband was in the registered book!!!! We’ve been at the same address of decades. I had to sign a paper ballot and an affadavit.

flippin idiocy, designed to get one guy steamrolled in.

18. Jeremy says:

katy, I had a similar experience. I’ve voted in every major, minor, and any other election at the same precinct for 3 years, and this is the first time I’ve had trouble. I was on the roll, but the lady checking me in tried to say I wasn’t allowed to vote because the address on my license doesn’t match my registered address. Well, in Michigan, when you move, you just get a sticker on the back of your license with the new address until it’s time for another license to be printed. She should know this, but she kept saying that I wasn’t allowed to vote without ID with the proper address, and said I could have just printed a sticker off myself.

After consulting a few others, I was finally able to vote. I was a bit surprised, though. Never had a problem before, and we’re in an extremely rural area (only a couple thousand registered voters) so it isn’t like there is mass confusion because of so many people.

19. I’m in Texas and voted for Obama last week. I also voted for several justices, the railroad commissioner, a Congressman and, my local county judge. I suspect she will have a greater impact on my life than Obama will but I was proud to cast all my votes.

20. brian says:

“As of this posting, I have not yet voted, but I will soon; I’ll remove this sentence once I’ve voted”

I voted. Did you?

21. jim says:

Ah yes I did! I forgot to remove that sentence though, thanks Brian!

and here is who I voted for…