The Home
comments

DirectTV Satellite Television Deals

If you hate your cable television, you might want to give satellite providers like DirectTV a look. My friends recently moved into a newly constructed home and discovered they had only one option when it came to cable television – dreaded Comcast. It turns out that in Baltimore, MD, Comcast has a monopoly on cable television service because they “made an agreement with the city” (in other words, Comcast pays the city for the right to offer cable). Until recently, Comcast was one of my only options for cable too, until Verizon FiOS came to town and began snatching up all Comcast’s disgruntled customers.

Rather than go back to Comcast, a company many of us hated dealing with, my friends looked at their options. They decided to go with DirectTV and their satellite television service, in part because they offer NFL Sunday Ticket. For what it’s worth, DirectTV was named #1 in Customer Satisfaction among national cable and satellite TV providers by the University of Michigan Business School in their 2008 American Customer Satisfaction Index.

They have many different packages but the one my friend Jeremy recommends is their PLUS HD + DVR Package, which has 200+ channels and 95 HD channels for only $49.99 a month (normally $72.99 a month). Included in the package is a Free DVR HD DVR Upgrade, which will save you a few dollars. He was planning on getting the NFL Sunday Ticket package so HD was a must, but the PLUS DVR package, which is ten dollars less, is the same number of channels just minus the HD channels (and the HD DVR of course).

Here is the full package line-up or give them a call at 866-277-2216 and they can explain it to you if this mish-mash of terms and explanations is a little confusing:

Name # Channels Promo $/Month Regular $/Month Savings
Premier Package 265+ $81.99 $104.99 $23
20 premium movie channels & 35 sports channels
Plus HD + DVR Package 200+ $49.99 $72.99 $23
Free HD DVR upgrade
Plus DVR Package 200+ $39.99 $62.99 $23
HBO, Showtime, & Starz for 3 months
Choice XTRA Package 200+ $34.99 $57.99 $23
HBO, Showtime, & Starz for 3 months, free DVR or HD DVR receiver
Choice Package 150+ $29.99 $52.99 $23
Family Package 45+ $29.99 $29.99 $0

The deals aren’t too shabby and my friend Jeremy seems to be pretty pleased with his experience thus far. You’ll also want to take advantage of their DirecTV referral program, which will save you a few bucks off your first year’s service.

If you have any experience with DirectTV, please share them in the comments.

8 Responses to “DirectTV Satellite Television Deals”

1. Jon says:

I used to have DirecTV and was very happy with it. The only reason I switched to Dish Network was because DirecTV would not match the incentive laden offer Dish Network was offering me to switch. I like Dish because I only have 2 receivers controlling 4 TVs whereas with DirecTV I needed a separate receiver for each TV and had to pay $5 per extra receiver a month.

2. David says:

Don’t trust anything they say, get it all in writing, and get names of the reps you talk to. We have had nothing but a miserable experience with them, with changing prices after agreeing to a package, multiple broken boxes being shipped to me even when not asked for, and wait times of over an hour to speak with someone. I know people hate their cable company, but if I could do this all over again I would never have signed up with these guys and never will again.

• Sally says:

I agree David, the actual picture and equipment was great. I was able to go online and recieve four twenty dollar off coupons per month. No that’s a pretty nice chunk of savings, considering they are pricey. The problem was with the payment dept. They would not credit the coupons, so I had to call and ask them about it, the person on the phone usually didn’t know what I was talking about. In one year of doing business with them they onl credited 275.00 worth of coupons. Leaving about 800.00 some dollars of coupons unaccounted for. I cancelled my service with them after many arguments over this. Then they still want to bill me for the disconnect fee and they owe me what the coupons were worth. Every time I call they have no idea what the last call was or who the person I spoke with is. The only reason I cancelled is because Direct TV is because the billing people are idiot.

3. thomas says:

DirecTV prices are going up in March. I can’t get the link now, but I believe Premium package is going up to $109.99 and then the pay channels (hbo, showtime, etc) are going up $1 per month. Some other a la carte are going up as well.

4. Jim says:

I’d compare DISH Network & DirectTV. I had DISH Network for 9-10 years and I was very happy with them.

5. DJ says:

I’ve had DirecTV for years, and they’ve raised the fee several times. AT&T U-verse is now in my neighborhood, which I presume is the same technology as Verizon Fios (?). I called DirecTV to negotiate a better package (like the one Jeremy recommends), but they wouldn’t work with me. I’m switching.

• Tony Bowling says:

DirecTV have raised their prices but they have also increased a lot of their services. They have a record number of HD channels, free on demand and have done other upgrades. My viewpoint (which others certainly do not have to agree with) is that they are the Lexus of providers and so they cost a little more. For example I just tried Time/Warner cable (for only 24 hours) and thought I had gone back to the dark ages! They were terrible but they cost less.

6. Eric N. says:

We have the smallest package…no complaints so far. *knocks on wood*