Credit
comments

Discover Birthday Double Cashback Bonus Promotion

Discover is running a new promotion where you can earn up to a 2% cashback bonus on up to $500 in purchases. It’s not going to be a crazy amount of cashback, since it’s 2% on $500 in purchases, but if you already use a Discover Card you might as well sign up and get the extra cashback.

There are four cards that are eligible:

• More Card by Discover
  • Motiva Card by Discover
  • Open Road Card by Discover
  • Miles by Discover -you get double miles, instead of cashback

The promotion has balloons and says “Celebrate your BIRTHDAY” but it doesn’t appear that it actually has to be your birthday month. You just have to pick a month and you’ll earn double cashback on up to $500 in purchases retroactively applied to the start of the month. There doesn’t appear to be an expiration date. Here are the T&Cs:

Sign up to earn 2% Cashback Bonus on up to $500 in purchases from the first day of the birthday promotion month for which you enroll (or the date on which you sign up, whichever is later) through the last day of that month. Purchases earning 2% Cashback Bonus will not count toward your total annual purchases to determine your tier level. These purchases must post to your account by the last day of the month. Allow up to 5 weeks for this reward to be added to your Cashback Bonus account. See Cashback Bonus Program Terms and Conditions for further details about your reward program.

Just a quick word of warning if you have a Discover card you opened for a 0% balance transfer – any new purchases you make will accrue interest immediately since you’re carrying a balance. That and depending on how they put your payments, you may be paying a lot in interest.

47 Responses to “Discover Birthday Double Cashback Bonus Promotion”

1. Donald says:

How important is it to have Discover as part of my limited quantity of “credit” cards? I understand that Discover is a “charge” card not a credit card. How does a charge card weigh on building your credit score?

• govenar says:

Discover isn’t a charge card (like some American Express cards); it’s just a regular credit card.

2. DebraJoy says:

I recently signed up the CHASE ‘Freedom” card ~ it offers 5% CASH-BACK!!on assorted categories AND those rotate Every quarter AND one must Sign UP (online) at the beginning of Each quarter for those purchases to Qualify.

The categories for 2011 are:
    Jan-March = *Grocery stores *Drugstores
    April-June = *Home Improvement *Lawn and Garden *Home Furnishings
    July-Sept = *Gas *Hotels * Airlines
    Oct-Dec = *Dining *Department stores *Movies *Charity
    ALL other Purchases Always get “1% cash back everywhere else, with no tiers or expiration dates”
    PLUS if you are a Chase Checking customer too:
    “10% EXTRA POINTS per $1 spent
    AND
    10% BONUS POINTS on every purchase, big or small” (every time the card is swiped)
    “Cash back = “Redeem for a check starting at $20. We’ll mail it right away”

NOW ~ I wish (and I told them) that there was a category for Dental and Medical Expenses that gave cash Back Bonuses!!! (they said they’d pass on my suggestion….)
    ~ Deb

3. zapeta says:

Sounds like a good promotion for those who have a Discover card. I don’t have one as the last thing I need is another card to keep track of!

4. eric says:

Told my sister to sign up her current Discover more card but Discover gave a message that her bday month has passed. What luck to have her bday in January. :P

5. I wonder how many people actually spend more, just so they can get 2% back. I bet there’s more than there should be…

• Strebkr says:

I have seen studies that say CC users spend more then cash users on a given trip. I guess people who see their cash leaving their hands don’t want to give it up as easily.

6. Strebkr says:

Has anyone had any trouble using Discover? It used to be a big problem for my parents that they actually had to carry a visa with them in case people didn’t accept Discover.

• Shirley says:

As a former bookkeeper for a large grocery store, I can tell you that we didn’t take Discover card for quite a while because the return we paid to Discover was quite a bit more than for Visa or MasterCard. However, once we did start accepting it, sales went up quickly.

Personally, when Discover was the only card I used, I chose stores that accepted it because I was going for the cashback bonus. Now I find most places accept it and if not, I can use my Chase Freedom card for cashback.

7. I have accessed this page, and can not find where to register for Discover Birthday Double Cash Back

8. I can not find where to register for the Discover Double Cash Back

9. Mary Doyle says:

Received a Birthday card announcing the 2% bonus. Went on line to sign up—well neither of my Discover cards are eligible!!! One card I have had since 1987!

10. Anonymous says:

cannot connect to receive my 85th Birthday gift
    what am I to do? Nancy

11. govenar says:

Can anyone confirm whether this is always 2%, or just double the amount in your current tier (e.g., 2 * 0.25% if in the lowest tier)?

12. Beth says:

On the Discover.com/Birthday site I cannot locate where to register for my 79th birthday 2% Cashback Bonus. Do I still receive this special?

13. Sylvia says:

You can call Discover and they will sign you up for the 2 percent Cashback Bonus

14. Michael Clarke says:

Si if we have to call Discover, why go through all this?

• Sylvia says:

I have a Discover More card and I was talking to a customer service person and she asked me if if I wanted to sign up for the 2 percent birthday cashback. If you can’t find where to sign up on the internet they will take care of you.

15. Steven C Brown says:

I tried to sign up for the birthday special but dont know if it took or not

16. I accessed this page and dont see where I sign up for double cashback bonus (birthday?

17. MyraJeanPeterson says:

Where do I sign up for birthday double cashback
    bonus?? Can’t seem to find it???

18. MyraJeanPeterson says:

What does URL stand for?????

• Shirley says:

A URL (Uniform Resource Locator) is the unique address for a file that is accessible on the Internet.

It is often called a link or hotlink or shortcut to a specific webpage.

19. Larry Kearns says:

Where do I sign up for my birthday Cash bonus,
    please advise. Thanks

20. Shirley says:

I found the info link early in the year and after accessing it said to wait until closer to my birthday month.

I received an email yesterday asking me to sign up for December. I hadn’t done anything further about it since then so perhaps it is an automatic thing.

If two people are signers on the card, it is the birthday month of the primary card holder.

21. Shirley Halterman says:

I want to take advantage of this

22. mj slusher says:

Decemeber is when I want to take advantage

23. Why does everything have to be so complicated? It isn’t even worth the time spent trying to find things.

24. ce brown says:

december is my birthday month

25. Stephanie Miller says:

I have tried to sign up for double miles for my birthday month which is this month but can’t seem to find the right screen.