Shopping
comments

Disney Matched An Offer It Didn’t Need To!

Fireworks at Disney, New Years 2009My wife and I were married in February of 2008 and with our anniversary coming up, thought it would be fun if we spent a few days in sunny Florida at the magical kingdom that is Walt Disney World. In the last few weeks, I’ve spent some time researching the best deals, trying to understand the dining plan, and checking which dates would work best for the both of us and the airline ticket prices. It all culminated yesterday when I booked a five day vacation that would include Mickey, Minnie, Goofy, Donald, and the rest of the gang.

Well, as Murphy’s law has always tried to warn me, the day after we booked, my wife received an email offer from Disney. Disney had been watching her account and saw she was considering a vacation. We never booked through her account, we booked through mine. Anyway, Disney had no idea so they sent her an offer. Book four days and get three days free plus a $200 Disney gift card.

Wowsers, that’s a heck of a deal.

We booked a five day with nothing more than the publicly available discounts. My wife said I should call to see if they could match the email offer. After chatting with a very nice CSR, we were able to change our package to the “private” offer. The fifteen minute phone call dropped the price of our vacation by $200 plus gave us a $200 gift card. $400 for a 15 minute phone call? No problem!

Nothing about our itinerary changed, it was just cheaper. Disney didn’t have to do match the offer but they did. A lot of vacation type places are offering fantastic discounts but they usually aren’t willing to make a change to a package you’ve already signed up for and paid a deposit on. This was certainly above and beyond what I would’ve expected, but it just shows that it always pays to call!

Thanks Disney!

(Photo: expressmonorail)

15 Responses to “Disney Matched An Offer It Didn’t Need To!”

1. Congrats Jim, both on the anniversary and the savings. Not only does it go to show that you never gain anything if you don’t ask, but it also proves that it’s not only the little companies that deliver excellent customer service.

2. Flexo says:

Sounds like a good deal! So $200 off on a Disney vacation… you’re down to, what, $9,800? :-)

3. wow, that is customer service. I know that many companies in the past would not match a new promotion and even today with the condition the economy is in, certain companies (which I wont name…nah I will..Delta and American Airlines) both have weak price promise policies and dont budge. I guess they dont know what customer loyalty is.

Here you got a great deal, passed on the Disney name to your readers and I’m sure would return thanks to this good service. When will other companies learn these basics??

• jim says:

Too many public companies think short term nowadays, what will get me the most bang in the current quarter, without any regard for the future. For airlines, which always seem to be knocking on bankruptcy death’s door, customer service has been replaced with fee after fee after fee. I’m a huge fan of Southwest though, they don’t play the same games.

4. carla says:

I noticed a lot of hotels are more flexible these days. They definitely want to hold on to business.

• jim says:

Most hotels will let you cancel 24-48 hours beforehand without penalty, they’re flexible because they have no choice. :)

5. Wow, that was really nice of them to match the private offer. I love hearing stories about good customer service! On the other hand, $2000!? Ouch!! No wonder I’ve never been to Disneyland! ;-)

6. thomas says:

Kudos to getting them on lowering the cost. Great example of good CS. I’m sure this will impact future vacation decisions.

I’ve been getting emails from Vegas hotesl and they are offering incredible deals. Now if I can get a cheap flight I’m there.

7. Awesome! We are heading to Disneyland this weekend. We got year passes through Costco and got $150 Disneyland gift card for doing it. It really pays to shop around and take what deals you can. Now I’m hoping to get a free upgrade on our hotel room… fingers crossed!

8. Adam says:

What a great story! I am glad to see that companies are aware of the things that are going on with consumers. I have not had this great (or easy) of an experience though!

9. Patrick says:

Disney has always been one of the best companies for customer service. It’s good to see them honor an offer like this, but to be honest, after my trip there in November it doesn’t surprise me. Disney’s goal is to create lifetime customers (Guests), and they usually succeed. Besides, they know they’ll make it up on food and souvenirs. ;)

10. Shawn says:

Hey! My wife and I were married on February 3, 2004, and took our honeymoon at Disney! It goes without saying that Orlando is great in February! Disney ain’t bad either.