Frugal Living
comments

Best Dollar Store Deals

Dollar StoreWe live within walking distance to a dollar, it’s in the same shopping center as our grocery store, and we’ve found many a good gem in there, mostly by accident. When I saw this Kiplinger’s article on the best and worst dollar store buys, I was curious to see what they found to be a good deal and what they found to be a bad one. They force you to go through a quiz but I won’t. :)

They said that good deals could be found on party supplies, cleaning supplies, greeting cards, seasonal/holiday items, pregnancy tests, gift wrap, and cooking & dining accessories like utensils and flatware/glassware. You should pass on vitamins, basic school supplies, over-the-counter medication, toys, canned food, batteries, and electronics. The winners were winners for reasons you’d expect, they’re simply cheaper. The losers were losers because they were either not cheap enough (you could go to Wal-Mart and pay the same or even less) or their efficacy, in the case of medication and vitamins, were suspect. A lot of dollar stores sell overstock merchandise, it’s possible to find things beyond their expiration date. That’s a good thing for seasonal items but not a good thing for vitamins.

We typically hit the dollar store whenever we’re looking for party supplies. The store is closer than any other store that carries party supplies, which is probably the greatest incentive, and there’s a surprisingly good selection.

What’s your best dollar store find?

(Photo: fireflythegreat)

19 Responses to “Best Dollar Store Deals”

1. Jason says:

A lot of candies are good deals in the dollar stores.

2. Shirley says:

My mother was a great one for sending birthday cards with handwritten letters in them to the whole extended family. Dad always bought the birthday cards at the Dollar Store because he refused to pay $4 for something that would be thrown away.

We found plastic non-disposable drinking glasses for the grandchildren there when we couldn’t find the medium size anywhere else.

3. T says:

They ain’t kidding on pregnancy tests. You could spend $16 on one in the drug store. I’d rather get 16 from the dollar store. :)

4. Jesinalbuqeurque says:

Kitty litter. Hands down.

5. dePriest says:

Our local dollar store had socks for diabetics (made so they don’t pinch around your calves)for $1.00/pair. I was ecstatic when i found these, because they cost over $7.00 in most stores, and I’d recently paid $1.99 at the local Goodwill for some (that was a great deal, also). The ones at the dollar store aren’t quite as thick, but they seem, after many wearings, to be holding up just as well. Besides, all my shoes don’t fit exactly the same, with some requiring thicker socks and others being more comfortable with thinner ones.

6. WRXTuan says:

The only thing I’ve been going to the dollar store are the disposable dual blade razors that they sell. At my store they usually come in a pack of 24. I’ve noticed that the female one (in pink) was better made then the male one (in blue) even though they are from the same no name brand and packaged the same way. I use two of them a week so one pack lasts me around 3 months. I still get weird looks at the cashier station when I come up with 10 packs of them.

7. zapeta says:

I like to buy the Sunday newspaper at the dollar store. Usually it’s 1.50, but at the dollar store it’s just $1. This is useful if I want multiple copies to get coupons.

8. thunderthighs says:

Cool cups and glasses–I trust they have no lead in them. The dollar-store pregnancy tests have always intrigued me, too.

9. billsnider says:

I have read that you should not buy electronics there since the product is generally trash.

Name food items are a clear winner.

Bill Snider

10. ziglet19 says:

I always go to the Dollar Store to purchase my greeting cards. They have them 2 for $1. It’s a great deal and like a previous poster mentioned, they usually just get thrown out anyways.

11. Strebkr says:

I guess I don’t have a go to list when I walk in. I just have to walk the isles to see what they have. If I see a deal, maybe I buy it.

12. Captain&T says:

I found 3 foot tiki torches for $1 a piece. This was a great find.

13. Tom says:

I’m a muti-millionaire (no kidding) and the only thing I ever by at the dollar store are reading glasses, Mylar balloons and hard cover books. Everything else may save you a few pennies but these 3 are multiple-dollar savers! (PS) I’ve played golf with the CEO of Dollar Tree, INC in Va. Beach, VA.

Also as a side note… I always fly coach, inside rooms on cruises (44 to date) and never bought an extended service warranty on anything.., PERIOD!