Personal Finance, Taxes 

Down To The Wire: Need An Extension?

Email  Print Print  

If you haven’t filed your taxes yet, check out the date… you have less than a week to do it. Do you really want to spend a sunny warm weekend indoors pouring over filing forms or sitting in front of your computer trying to fill out little boxes? Heck no! That’s why you need to file an extension.

Here are the two important facts, straight from H&R Block themselves:

Notify the IRS – If a taxpayer files an extension with the IRS (Form 4868) he or she will have until Oct. 16 to complete their tax return. (Taxpayers living and working outside the US have an automatic two-month extension to June 15. They can request an additional 4-month extension by filing Form 4868.)

Preparing Form 4868 isn’t always easy, so the taxpayer should plan ahead. Using a tax professional or a digital solution (online or software) may simplify the task. They may also visit to file an extension electronically or to find the nearest year-round H&R Block office.

File later, pay now – The extension to file will not give taxpayers more time to pay their tax bill. Taxpayers should estimate their tax liability and pay as much as they can by April 17. Underpayments are subject to penalties and interest.

More tips from H&R Block…

{ 0 comments, please add your thoughts now! }

Related Posts

RSS Subscribe Like this article? Get all the latest articles sent to your email for free every day. Enter your email address and click "Subscribe." Your email will only be used for this daily subscription and you can unsubscribe anytime.

Please Leave a Reply
Bargaineering Comment Policy

Previous Article: «
Next Article: »
Advertising Disclosure: Bargaineering may be compensated in exchange for featured placement of certain sponsored products and services, or your clicking on links posted on this website.
About | Contact Me | Privacy Policy/Your California Privacy Rights | Terms of Use | Press
Copyright © 2016 by All rights reserved.