The Home
comments

Empire Today Doesn’t Want My Business

The basement in our townhouse is pretty cold and the laminate stick-on tiles don’t help, so I’ve been looking around for some carpeting. At first I thought it would be something I could try to do myself (part of the “fun” of a house is working on it, right?) but given how many tools you’ll need to rent and how much carpet and padding costs as it is, it would probably be more expensive to do it myself than it would be to get a professional to do it. That, and it would probably look a lot worse.

So, one of the companies I contacted for a quote was Empire Today. You might recognize their commercials and their little jingle but I was surprised when their representative didn’t show up today.

I left an email message through their online contact form yesterday morning, received a call yesterday afternoon, and scheduled an appointment for an estimate this morning between 9am and 11am. Part of the reason why I sought out Empire Today was the television jingle but a big part was their financing – no payments, no interest until April 2007.

But the guy never showed, never called, nothing… guess they don’t want my business. All the money spent on jingles, commercials, computer generated carpet laying dude, and customer service representatives down the drain because of a failure in the last mile.

7 Responses to “Empire Today Doesn’t Want My Business”

1. Jane Dough says:

I used Empire to put carpeting and laminate wood flooring in my basement apartment. I had no problems with them showing up when they said they would. However, the quote I got from them was higher than those from some local installers (who unfortunatly could not do my job for some weeks). I still used Empire though because I needed to get my basement apartment tenant ready and paying the extra was worth it (since the tenant got in faster and I started collecting rent sooner). The financing was easy and I did take advantage of it. However, I made sure to pay it off in full before the end of the year.

2. nancy says:

their prices are 100% more then the competition, count your blessings that you didn’t get taken in by them, they spend more then $30 thousand per week in each region advertising, how do they cover that cost. by charging the customer excesive prices. Wondering if the installers of her carpet spoke any english?

3. Ron Richards says:

I used Empire Today. I agree that they were a little more than the competition, but (as they say) if it sounds to good to be true, it probably is. I saw a friend’s floor that had laminate. It was gaps between boards, buckling where it got wet and overall looked worthless. He told me that he went with the cheapest price. Empire explained the quality of the material they use and they use licensed contractors. They were flexible on price and I paid the price that I thought was fair.

• Mark C says:

laminate is laminated paper. It is not hard wood. If it get wet it’s ruined, and that is not covered under a manufacturer’s warranty. So you expect laminate to look good after it has been ruined? And you expect a company to responsible for someone not taking care of that flooring? Wow!

4. Jennifer says:

Nancy — Why do you assume that non-English speakers are automatically bad workers? Just because an installer speaks limited English does not mean he (or she) is automatically cheap and bad labor — Have you thought about how that makes YOU sound to think and say that? BTW, English is the only language I know, having been born and raised in America and having forgotten what little of French I learned in school, but I do know that anyone can be good at their job OR bad at their job, and what language they speak has nothing to do with it.

5. YCL says:

you are right, language doesn’t have anything to do with the work. but empire sucks. please do not use empire. nothing but bad reviews, over charge, low qaulity, not professional.

6. Debbie says:

I used Empire in the past to recarpet downstairs in my home and one of our upstairs bedrooms. They were wonderful, quote was fair, quality of the product was great, the contractors that were out to install were wonderful, did a great job, was very pleased. I just recently contacted Empire again to redo the remaining carpet that I did not have done the first time, because I was so pleased with them first time around. I’m sure you can find someone to do it cheaper, but with my home, I don’t always equate cheaper with better.