Your Take
comments

Your Take: Ever Play Credit Card Roulette?

Roulette is Exciting!So, I have a few friends who like to gamble (did my Super Bowl betting post about my friend who won $1500 on the Giants’ safety give that away) but, surprisingly, that hasn’t translated into many games of credit card roulette. There are a few varieties of the game but the basic gist is that you go out, get some food, and when the bill comes, everyone throws in a credit card. The server takes out cards, one by one with a lot of drama, and the last one in there pays the bill. The last time I played was a few weeks ago at a local bar, it was only four people, it was really really exciting, and it was really really awesome when my friend Drew lost.

Hey Drew – thanks for the oysters, beer, and dinner!

What do you think about credit card roulette? Stupid and silly? Or should I have to claim that win on my taxes? :)

(Photo: stoneflower)

16 Responses to “Your Take: Ever Play Credit Card Roulette?”

1. Strebkr says:

It certainly adds a fun twist to an outing. I’ve played and its fun. Think about it this way, when you play the lottery you have to have that one single ticket to win. This works in reverse because most everyone in the group comes away a winner. Its fun, except for the last person to pay. Your chances of winning this is very very good.

2. PFM says:

lol, hilarious, never heard of that game before, I thought the post was going to be about 0% transfers or something like that, hmmm, might have to try it next time we’re out with a bunch of friends

3. Huskerolleyball2 says:

Another variation is to play poker with the numbers on a dollar bill–but I bet you could use the ccard numbers to play too.

The amount the safety bettor won was $50,000!

4. tom says:

did this a lot.. very fun.

a variation of this game is to place all the cards on the table and let the server choose.. lol, my friend found out the hard way not to use the bright ebay card!! the server didnt hesitate@!

5. Martha says:

Nope, never played it. But I’m always tempted when it’s a large bill! :)

6. eric says:

First time I’ve heard of it…ha!

7. govenar says:

I’d rather pay it with my credit card to get rewards and then have someone pay me back in cash (but that probably isn’t as exciting as picking a random credit card).

8. Chip says:

20 years ago, my college buddies and I started having an annual lunch at Christmas. It culminated with a li’l Credit Card Roulette. Abut a dozen guys attend. The bill is in the $200s. I have “won” a few times, but my buddy Tom has free-rolled for two decades!

9. AndroAsc says:

That sounds like a really STUPID game and would throw my budget off whack. Having to pay for the entire group for an unplanned event is NOT FUN.

10. Money Infant says:

I’ve never heard of that before, but it sounds like fun and I’m going to recommend it to my friends next time we’re out.

11. rlaw100 says:

There’s a variation where you can buy out. (Pay your portion of the bill) And another variation where someone can double down if someone else buys out (Take their cash in exchange for having two losing chances)

12. Jason says:

I have played this many times, as well as playing Liars Poker with the serial numbers on a bill. Great way to determine who pays the bill. For about 2 years we always had a “happy hour” outing at a bar across the street from my office each Friday after work. Rather than splitting bills all the time, we just rotated around using this game. Over time, everyone paid their fair share.

13. Jonathan says:

Sounds fun, great idea but only if you are willing to end up with a huge bill!

14. Master Allan says:

Question –

In throwing a bunch of cards with magnetic strips together into a hat, how do you avoid accidentally demagnetizing, or is that not an issue?

15. bloodbath says:

I am 62, already retired and I have quite a bit more than $25,000 in savings and retirement. In fact I have enough to live to 92 comfortably so I guess I am in the 14%. I retired at 55 and lived off my savings for 7 years. Now I live off a combination of SS and pension (I no longer use my savings or my 401k etc) and they are enough to pay all bills and even add to my savings.