Frugal Living, Shopping
comments

Expanding on FMF’s Telling Friends You’re Buying Something Tip

FMF posted today about one of his money saving tips, to tell your friends when you’re thinking of buying something. In his article, he mentions several instances of when he mentioned he was thinking about buying something and his neighbor offered him that very thing, used, either for free or at a low price. I want to expand on this tip because it’s a good one on many more levels.

Another reason to mention that you’re buying something is that your friends might know of special deals out there that you didn’t. It’s a lot better to find out that the DVD you just bought could’ve been had for less before you bought it than after. One of my friends was looking at buying the The Boston Red Sox 2004 World Series Collector’s Edition DVD which is on sale at Amazon for $103.99, that’s 20% off. That sounds like a good deal… unless you know that the same set can be had at DeepDiscountDVD for only $77.97! Mentioning it saved him over $26.

If you’re one who is hard to buy a gift for, mentioning something could be a subtle way of letting people know what they could get you for an upcoming birthday or holiday season. If you think it’s underhanded, it’s not, they’ll thank you for not having to struggle with something to get you. :)

9 Responses to “Expanding on FMF’s Telling Friends You’re Buying Something Tip”

1. LAMoneyGuy says:

It’s funny to me how guarded we are about anything that could relate to money. More often that not we have friends or family who are in a position to either help us, or benefit from our help. We would probably all save some money and time if we just communicated with those closest to us.

I’m sure we all know stories of someone overpaying for a car, while his brother in law, who is a car nut, didn’t even know he was in the market for a car. Or a new home buyer doesn’t want to bother their good friend, who happens to be a realtor.

I’m not suggesting we should all go around soliciting business from our friends, just remember that they can be a fantastic resource!

2. jim says:

Great point LAMoneyGuy, I think leveraging the expertise of your friends is crucial nowadays especially in areas you know little about.

3. FMF says:

Wow — you do actually read my blog once in a while, huh?

BTW, I could get you a dishwashing job on that ship, but you’ll need a couple extra jobs to pay for that “dog” you’re considering. ;-)

4. CK says:

Um… I was thinking about buying a Porsche anybody happen to have a free one?

5. Matt says:

Not to mention the other reason to tell people you’re planning to buy…in order to be warned off of particular products or vendors by the bad experiences of others.

My mother’s most recent vacation went terribly…and almost all of the problems could have been avoided if she’d even casually mentioned to me that she was planning on taking an international cruise (her passport expired in the ’70s) and booking it on Priceline.com (if you’ve ever used Priceline, you know why she now regrets it). Going to Orbitz or Travelocity would have saved her hassles (and allowed her to avoid the customer service nightmare that is Spirit Airlines), and delaying the trip for a few weeks in order to give herself time to order a new passport would have let her get off the ship when it was in port. I could have told her these things _before_ she made several thousand dollars worth of nonrefundable, nonchangeable travel purchases, instead of after.

6. Amanda says:

Yes – this has always worked for me… its how I got my current dining room table and chairs! A family friend had it sitting in storage and no use for it, so voila, it became mine.

7. Festival of Frugality number twelve!

Welcome to this week’s Festival of Frugality!
    No messing around — here we go:

Crayon on your linoleum? Hard-to-clean cheese grater? Some frugal and resourceful kitchen tips from Frugal For Life.
    There have been lots of posts over the past …

8. empty spaces says:

I totally agree. sometime ago i mentioned to a coworker that i was looking to buy an ipod for my wife and if she knew where i could get one cheaply.
    She just gave me her spare one!!