Credit, Personal Finance
comments

Faux Debit Cards for Kids

I saw a post over at AllThingsFinancial about giving a 10 year old a debit card and I thought in principle it’s a good idea, in practice though it could be a disaster. The article itself is about JLP’s allowance policy and how he believes it’s more important to teach kids about real money instead of plastic (I agree) but I think that education on credit does have it’s place at an early age. It’s important to make the link between a credit/debit card and real cash, that is they should be treated as one and the same. Why not give your child a faux debit card, instead of a real one that they can lose, that acts like a real credit or debit card? Feel free to use my MS Paint debit card below as a starting point. :)

Blueprint Faux Debit Card

Print that baby on some cardboard stock paper and they’ll be ready to swipe in no time!

8 Responses to “Faux Debit Cards for Kids”

1. Bald Man says:

I’m going to use an alternative plan: Brainwashing my kids to NEVER, EVER, EVER, NEVER, EVER, NEVER, EVER, EVER BE SUCKED INTO THE VORTEX OF DESTRUCTION COMMONLY KNOWN AS “CREDIT CARDS!”

2. jim says:

Hahahaha, I just felt an irresistable urge to cut up all my credit cards.

3. beerconsumer says:

Worst thing I ever did was sign up for a credit card for a coffee mug. I could of used an education on credit when younger.

• cdiver says:

I have a great CD wallet from one of these promos. No longer listen to cds but still feeling the pain of my lack of education at the time.

4. Sylver says:

Believe it or not, debit cards are often offered to teens here in Germany by individual banks – not credit card companies. This card cannot be used in shops but only to withdraw or deposit money in the account. In using the debit card withdrawals cannot exceed the debit accounts balance so allowances, once money is transferred into the accounts has to be lived with. A child cannot overdraw his or her account.
    Financial responsibility, especially the importance of saving, is taught from kindergarten age upwards in the home and encouraged by the banks. (October is World Savings Month! Even small children are encouraged to save their pennies so they can receive a prize from the bank when they deposit their money into a savings account during the month of October.)
    I do agree that financial responsibility should be taught at an early age. Basic courses in simply accounting (how to balance a checking account, how to keep track of credit card purchases) should be taught in the schools along with any other math courses, not as an elective but as a standard course.

5. Mister says:

Face it folks….just like the 33 LP records, and the milk man. Cash, and paper checks are going away. By the time your 10 year old is grown, a PC and Plastic will be required to make any purchase….hello? is this thing on?

lol
    Have a blessed day!

6. echidnina says:

Heh, cute. I think I started getting an allowance around 12, and when I turned 16 my parents gave me a Visa Bux debit card – a card that they loaded for me. They let me decide whether I wanted to get my allowance in cash, or have it put on the card for stuff on Amazon & the like. I think it was a good way to develop some money management skills – it’s a debit card, so you can only spend what money you have, rather than buying on credit.